• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Abortion Debate... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generator

HSC
N/A
inasero said:
Humans were created to rule over animals. Of course this doesn't mean that we can abuse them at will, just thatthe human life is worth more.
Really? Why?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Generator said:
Really? Why?
I believe it says so in Genesis, though i cbf finding the passage

...and Genesis doesn't lie. :p

kat_mandu

What the?
HSC
Ribbon said:
I would definitely prefer not to have been born than to have some severe mental or physcial disability.
I would definitely prefer to have been born than be aborted because of a physical or mental disability.

I agree that every woman needs to have the choice about her own body, but this decsion involves someone elses body. i dont agree that the possibility of a chlid having a disability justifies a late term abortion, because at the stage of pregnancy where detection of a disability is possible the baby is no longer a cluster of cells it is a human that can feel pain.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
kat_mandu said:
I would definitely prefer to have been born than be aborted because of a physical or mental disability.

I agree that every woman needs to have the choice about her own body, but this decsion involves someone elses body. i dont agree that the possibility of a chlid having a disability justifies a late term abortion, because at the stage of pregnancy where detection of a disability is possible the baby is no longer a cluster of cells it is a human that can feel pain.
umm thats the thing.. the earlier u try and detect the disability..a) the less cells ure working with and b) the more likely is spontenous abortion to occur... u need to culture cells and DNA to prove it.. thus its risky.. so they wait till later

another thing.. how do u know you would prefer to be born with a severe disability? Do you have a recognised disability?

Ribbon

kat_mandu said:
wow thats really interesting cos I always just assumed that anybody would prefer to be dead that have a sever mental or physcial disability (I am not insulting people with disabilities, if I was in a car accident or something and had family and friends who cared about me I would rather live with a disability than die but in terms of being born with one (mainly severe mental disabilities), and knowing nothing other than that, and being a huge burdon on your parents for your whole life ect. no thanks...)

I guess this whole debate is just relative. Just the same as some people are vegetarians and think killing animals in any manner for any purpose is cruel and other people think it's ok to eat meat and go hunting for sport. I don't think either persons beliefs are nessarily wrong, just different.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
superbird said:
I think its more unnecessary. The only reason its as popular than ever before is because more teenagers are having unprotected sex. The situation and consequence (falling pregnant) can easily be avoided.
Exactly. You genius :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
actualli a recent release of statistics showed a different trend.
it showed that the average age of mother for abortions was increasing .. so not teenagers..
its ppl in committed relationships that just cant afford them ..
but then the stats were most accurate for SA.. i cant be sure for NSW

a separate article:
http://www.ama.com.au/web.nsf/doc/WEEN-63R67H
ill admit im an AMA member so yer i hav a bias lolz

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I do believe that abortions are happening at older ages... however i also think that abortions are happening 4-5 times STARTING at their teenage years, i know two girls that have had a bunch of them..

As for people not being able to afford them, i think this is due to the media kinda hyping this up...
Compared with the depression where people were actually still having a decent ammount of children there's nothing wrong with today.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
to me abortion is terribly wrong. just cause the fetus isnt legally alive it doesnt mean it isnt really, at the fetal stage babies apparently develop enought o have emotions etc as they even suck their thumbs at that stage which reveals emotions. how could you just kill that. to me that is murder. lots of women after abortions feel terrible later and wish they hadnt done it. i do think it is a very difficult issue though as people cant afford to have babies. but isnt it just part of life if you have sex, and wheres the sense of responsibility if you have a child. i think its morally wrong. people werent made with a button that says "abort" if you dont feel like having a child

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
lukebennett said:
at the fetal stage babies apparently develop enought o have emotions etc as they even suck their thumbs at that stage which reveals emotions.

At how many weeks into the pregnancy is that? Just wondering...

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
people make mistakes...it would be wrong to force a female have a baby she didnt want...for example are you going to force that 15 year old girl in the above facts have a baby...she is psychologically fit...she has no family...the court found after evidence that she was in danger of mental harm.
thats a good point. i think that each persons issues should be brought before a tribunal or something to see if it is appropriate for them to abort such as rape victims, or in cases such as the above. i just think people shouldnt abort cause it is simply convenient for their careers etc

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i guess i would change my vote if its as regulated as you say, but not open to others easily for the sake of convenience =legal to some not all

HSC
kat_mandu said:

i can understand where you're coming from with this, however i think you're not entirely comprehending what having a child with a disability such as down's syndrome does to your life. it's not like having a 'normal' child where you stay home to raise them for nearly a year and then you can put them into daycase and go back to work. having a disabled child completely turns your life around, and it becomes all about them. as my aunt's friend (whose child has a disability, cerebal palsy i think?) says 'you learn who your real friends are when you have a disabled kid'. i mean, some people are willing to make this sacrifice and that's great, but i don't think you should judge women for not wanting to basically lose their entire life so they can look after their child.

HSC
lukebennett said:
i guess i would change my vote if its as regulated as you say, but not open to others easily for the sake of convenience =legal to some not all
it's not like you don't have to justify yourself already... it's not a matter of walking in and saying 'yeh i'd like an abortion today pls'

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
oh yeah i just would prefer it to be very regulated so that only ewxtreme cases could. btw i didnt really know a heap about the whole abortion situation anyway but i wouldnt have thought just anyone could get an abortion, but i bet lots of people that havent truly needed them have had them

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes, with the ammount of abortions being done you must have to really justify yourself...

Of course people that don't truely need them have them. I havea friend who is 25, she cries poor because she has huge bills but she still gets spray on tan and has foxtel, cable internet and stuff... she's had about 4 abortions, her reason being that she can't afford them at this time..

To me while i don't wanna stop girls from spending on themselves, and i don't think it's wrong even tho it is selfish to care more about your luxuries than an unborn child.. i do think it's wrong when girls keep making the same mistakes over and over and over.

Last edited:
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes, with the ammount of abortions being done you must have to really justify yourself...
except for the fact that i have actually BEEN through the process and you haven't, so sorry, but i think i know a little bit more about it than you. yes it's not like you have to show them cuts on your wrist and break down hysterically to prove you're mentally unfit, but yeah, i actually know what i'm talking about and you dont

edit: and yeah i think the example you cited is wrong, but that is the smallest minority of women who get abortions, it is NOT the majority

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
At how many weeks into the pregnancy is that? Just wondering...
im actually not sure but i know people abort at this stage which is really sad i think. they are virtually alive and have emotions. they must get really scared when they die or atleast get really confused

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I know another girl a bit younger but she's already had her second... not everyone who gets an abortion went to the exact same clinic as you and is in the exact same situation.

edit: to thingy guy...Only 1% of abortions occur after 24 weeks.. when is where the child would totally feel the pain and has self awareness, at least that is the presumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)