the attractiveness scale 1-10, your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

adistar85us

HSC
I am a little perplexed with the attractiveness scale (based solely on how the person looks). From 1-10, I understand that a 5 is average.

Why then do most people rate other people higher than this when in actuality most really fall into a 5? Is it because they don't want to be seen as harsh then bump the score up? Candy coating..... I have seen this countless times, even on those rating sites (hot or not etc) where everyone seems to be an 8, yes an 8. Those are rather rare and I would most likely put these people on 6-high average.

I'm "also" starting to wonder if it really does become subjective when people's looks go past 5, when certain things such as makeup, clothing, posing and lighting will enhance high average joes to 7's 8's or 10's.

How do you people see the attractiveness scale?

( Avoid corny smartass, geeky, sarcastic comments when posting)

Last edited:

Keru

HSC
Sorry to tell you but 7 is the considered average.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
like the hsc, a load of shite. everyone seems to get marked form halfway and up in the scale aswell.

adistar85us

HSC
Keru said:
Sorry to tell you but 7 is the considered average.
that's too high for an average in terms of looks. so what's an 8 and 9? theres no leeway.

HalcyonSky

HSC
looks like someone scored a 3 on the attractiveness scale

HalcyonSky

HSC
adistar85us said:
you maybe
LOL GOOD 1.

and by the way, the reason most people on hotornot are rated the same is because nobody goes on there to accurately rate the people, they just pick any number to get to the next person. From extensive personal experience of rating people on hotornot, id sometimes give everyone 8's, sometimes 2's. Id only bother to rate properly if an absolute hottie came up, or if the girl just looked like the type of person i dont like at all.

i've read your post a couple of times, and i still dont understand what the fuck you're trying to get at. You're only just realising that makeup, hair, lighting etc add to a persons looks? you're only just realising that attractiveness is universal, and not entirely subjective?

Using hotornot as a statistics source doesnt really help (reason above, and also most girls who post pics of themselves on the net tend to be above average). If i was to think of every girl i know and rate them, id rate the 'average' looking ones 5-6, any im even mildly attracted to a 7+, and the hideous ones < 5.
From this, id probably end up with an overall average of around 6.5.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Average is 5 ffs. 1 and 10 are virtually impossible to attain.

adistar85us

HSC
HalcyonSky said:
LOL GOOD 1.

and by the way, the reason most people on hotornot are rated the same is because nobody goes on there to accurately rate the people, they just pick any number to get to the next person. From extensive personal experience of rating people on hotornot, id sometimes give everyone 8's, sometimes 2's. Id only bother to rate properly if an absolute hottie came up, or if the girl just looked like the type of person i dont like at all.

i've read your post a couple of times, and i still dont understand what the fuck you're trying to get at. You're only just realising that makeup, hair, lighting etc add to a persons looks? you're only just realising that attractiveness is universal, and not entirely subjective?

Using hotornot as a statistics source doesnt really help (reason above, and also most girls who post pics of themselves on the net tend to be above average). If i was to think of every girl i know and rate them, id rate the 'average' looking ones 5-6, any im even mildly attracted to a 7+, and the hideous ones < 5.
From this, id probably end up with an overall average of around 6.5.
I was getting at two things mofo: 1st people shouldn't be rating 7 or 8 when in actuality its really an average of 5. 2nd when people jump above the average in looks (thats past 5 or a 6 or if averaged higher a 7 or 8) it becomes subjective because the external enhancements I mentioned come into play i.e a 5 can become a 7 with proper makeup and lighting or if averaged higher a 7 or 8 can become a 10 (that's why 7 can't be average).

The mistake which I have corrected is I should've added "also" in "I'm ALSO starting to wonder if". If your gonna bag me on this one here I am.

Are you serious about the girls thing? Most are average or high average. 7's are uncommon, 8's are rare.

I used hot or not as an example because frankly most of my buddies and other people I've met tend to rank people higher up on the scale when it really shouldn't be. Then you get accused of having high standards, pfft maybe standards in looks are becoming lower or people are afraid to dish out the truth.

Last edited:

HalcyonSky

HSC
Riet said:
Average is 5 ffs. 1 and 10 are virtually impossible to attain.
ive seen several 1's in my time

and 10's

both IRL and in pictures

HalcyonSky

HSC
adistar85us said:
I was getting at two things mofo: 1st people shouldn't be rating 7 or 8 when in actuality its really an average of 5. 2nd when people jump above the average in looks (thats past 5 or a 6 or if averaged higher a 7 or 8) it becomes subjective because the external enhancements I mentioned come into play i.e a 5 can become a 7 with proper makeup and lighting.

yeah well chances are 90% of the chicks youve seen in your lifetime have been wearing makeup, and that 90% of the hot womeinz youve seen can look bad in certain lighting, so blaming externalities for skewed results isnt really fair given that its these externalities that can make or break most people.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
why did he call you a mofo?
Seems that he can't put together a reasonable arguement without attacking the poster.

And why ponder upon this? There are better things to do then to ponder upon how the system of ranking a person's attractiveness is flawed.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
No, 10 is like once in a lifetime, if you have seen a "10" your scale is wrong. The reason 5 is average but we rate others higher is because generally we're rating people our own age approx. while there are way more people who aren't our age who we don't find attractive at all.

HalcyonSky

HSC
Riet said:
No, 10 is like once in a lifetime, if you have seen a "10" your scale is wrong. The reason 5 is average but we rate others higher is because generally we're rating people our own age approx. while there are way more people who aren't our age who we don't find attractive at all.
NO UR SCALE IS WRONG

Pace_T

HSC
ive seen heaps of 10s. theyre everywhere.. just not at uni.
i think the reason why average people get above average ratings is because people don't want to seem rude or up themselves. e.g. i mean if i saw an average decent chick im not going to go oh shes only a 5. 5 just seems low..
i guess the average really is 6 or 7..

brainwashed39

HSC
yeah it is subjective.
i went on that hotornot site and a girl i thought was pushing a 4 was rated 9.5.. WTF!
and you can SO tell when someone has manipulated the lighting or camera angle to hide their bad features...
i think the average on those websites should be six...
in REAL life it is probably 5 but not many 1's would post their pics (i hope).

Pace_T

HSC
cropping is just one tool these ugly girls use to make themselves beautiful. why oh why did they have to invent photo editing!?!

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
and thats why i dont much like the 1-10 scale

tucker max's 5 star rating is much better, a bit less sujective and easier for all males to relate to

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)