• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Bali 9 - The verdicts (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Re: Renae Lawrence - Life in Prison. First of Bali 9 to be Sentenced

Anti-Mathmite said:
Do you always use coolness as the catalyst to inject people with your poison?
who are you fgt

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
may I just ask everyone, how they find the death penalty OK for people even as bad as the bali 9. yeah, they committed serious offences, they should be punished severely, but nobody has the right to take another's life. this has probably been discussed before, but idno, i just don't like the thought of it, its like its going against our rights as humans. they should all get life imprisonment, or even get really harsh punishments for what they did, but no one deserves to have their life taken away from them just for smuggling drugs into another country. no one has that right.

im sorry if it offended anyone, or made someone go...oh not again. but its just what i felt.

HSC
rnitya_25 said:
may I just ask everyone, how they find the death penalty OK for people even as bad as the bali 9. yeah, they committed serious offences, they should be punished severely, but nobody has the right to take another's life. this has probably been discussed before, but idno, i just don't like the thought of it, its like its going against our rights as humans. they should all get life imprisonment, or even get really harsh punishments for what they did, but no one deserves to have their life taken away from them just for smuggling drugs into another country. no one has that right.

im sorry if it offended anyone, or made someone go...oh not again. but its just what i felt.

^^ i 100% agree on that statement

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The rest of the three have been sentenced to life.

Bali Nine Sentences
DEATH
- Andrew Chan
- Myuran Sukumaran

LIFE IMPRISONMENT
- Renae Lawrence
- Scott Rush
- Michael Czugai
- Martin Stephens
- Tan Duc Thanh Nguyen
- Si Yi Chen
- Matthew Norman

K

katie_tully

Here we go again.

I don't agree with the death penalty, but I also care less for those who are subject to it because they broke the law.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
katie_tully said:
Here we go again.

I don't agree with the death penalty, but I also care less for those who are subject to it because they broke the law.

just because they broke the law, that doesn't mean they have to die for it...

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
According to Indonesian Law they do.

no i mean like morally, doesn't mean they deserve to die for it. its the law, all it does or all it aims to do is make the society equal. and just coz some idiot decides to break those laws, that doesn't mean they gotta die for it...does anyone agree with me at all?

tempco

HSC
rnitya_25 said:
no i mean like morally, doesn't mean they deserve to die for it. its the law, all it does or all it aims to do is make the society equal. and just coz some idiot decides to break those laws, that doesn't mean they gotta die for it...does anyone agree with me at all?
I doubt it, since you've assumed that there's a universal moral standard - which doesn't exist.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
tempco said:
I doubt it, since you've assumed that there's a universal moral standard - which doesn't exist.
imo there should be a moral standard in this aspect. the death penalty is a serious punishment, its capital punishment, and no matter how big someone's crime is, they don't deserve to die for it. ok, well there are some crimes which may go off the scale, but smuggling drugs, imo isn't something someone deserves to die for, no matter what country they're in.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I say I'm glad the two ringleaders get death--with their drugs, millions of lives could be ruined, which I say is far worst than death. Crime will go up as addicts commit crime to get money to pay for the drugs, making society a less safe place, and this tough stance shows Indonesia has some guts at last.

The rest--life I think is fair, because as 'mules' they don't have responsibility for organising the ring and so forth, but they should learn their lesson of not being tempted, not even for things like free holidays. If they were threatened, they should've smelt a rat and approached anyone of assisstance (preferably the police though) sooner.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Yes, I think most people do here do oppose the death penalty. Frankly though, I think people are just getting tired of this 'Australian in trouble for drug smuggling in *insert South East Asian country here* business. There isn't much to be done, and after the 3 previous cases, each of which for one reason or another evoked more sympathy than this one, there isn't much more to be said either. The Herald reported that Downer's pretty confident that the 2 sentenced to death will get clemency. I hope they do, but I won't be shedding any tears if they don't, you know?

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Benny_ said:
Yes, I think most people do here do oppose the death penalty. Frankly though, I think people are just getting tired of this 'Australian in trouble for drug smuggling in *insert South East Asian country here* business. There isn't much to be done, and after the 3 previous cases, each of which for one reason or another evoked more sympathy than this one, there isn't much more to be said either. The Herald reported that Downer's pretty confident that the 2 sentenced to death will get clemency. I hope they do, but I won't be shedding any tears if they don't, you know?

yeah I get what you mean, but its like, there are so many more people that face this death penalty and the only reason we don't hear about them is because they're not australians and australian news and current affairs care a damn about those people. its wrong imo, death penalty should be ruled out of the world..its just too cruel and there have been incidents where someone has recieved the death penalty and later it has been found out that they were wrongly accused. these things can still happen..im not saying with the bali 9, but with other cases.

K

katie_tully

rnitya_25 said:
Morally, they were trafficking drugs which had the potential to ruin more lives than theirs. Stop talking morals. This topic has no room for morals. What they were doing was morally incorrect. According to you Indonesian Law is morally incorrect. Morally smorally. Go hug a tree.

Jason Bourne

HSC
N/A

They deserved all of this. Seriously, you go to another country, you respect their laws.. simple as that. Now bring on the executions.

Jason Bourne

HSC
N/A
rnitya_25 said:
imo there should be a moral standard in this aspect. the death penalty is a serious punishment, its capital punishment, and no matter how big someone's crime is, they don't deserve to die for it. ok, well there are some crimes which may go off the scale, but smuggling drugs, imo isn't something someone deserves to die for, no matter what country they're in.
Then you're a bloody idiot! Morality is subjective. How about we make some moral standard like you suggested, but instead mould it onto that of a pro-capital punishment supporter? I.e Indonesian law becomes the moral standard? The world doesn't revolve around you darling, so get over it.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC

absolution* said:
Sifnt get ya knockers out for the Bali Nine! Damned wench.
TITS
OUT
FOR THE NINE
GET YOUR TITS OUT FOR THE NINE!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)