The Bali Bombers' Execution (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah, but respect for life should always remain the benchmark of the "good" you speak of.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Re: the countdown to the bali bombers' execution - I'm excited!

Iron said:
I dont see how you can even begin to justify it. The aim is to terrify civilians, so leaders are pressured into conceeding to terrorist terms. You say they may be forced to do this because they are weak? If the state is not seeking to exterminate them, then they have alternative means. If they're after greater independence, that does not justify taking innocent life

aww why did you change the title? the one with 'the countdown to the bali bombers' execution - I'm excited!' is much much better tbh. :)

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
Rudd has no spine for not denouncing this state-sanctioned MURDER

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Iron said:
I agree that it can be a handy term for a state, but part of the reason why there's no coordinated international response to it is because one state's baby killer is another state's freedom fighter.
Exactly, the label of terrorism, and the categorisation of all terrorism as absolutely evil, the war on terror, is completely meaningless.

These labels were invented to be "a handy tool for the state". Anyone who uses the term "terrorism" or really believes "terrorism" as a whole, global ideology, is the serious problem, is either trying to deceive you or is deeply ignorant of the real, complex reasons behind these behaviours.

Terrorism is a useless propaganda term that should be rejected by all intelligent people.

Why are so many people outraged about terrorism, but relatively few about the inequalities in our world that are leading to conflict?

The actions of "freedom fighters" must be assessed on a case by case basis, intelligently. The war on terror is a suppression of intelligent debate on the moral validity of various groups actions.

The sanctity of life is absolutely the benchmark of good, and when this is violated, this is when individual groups and ideologies must be condemmed as murderous. Regardless, it's not like when states wage wars they're saints in this regard either.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
You're too bias. When you have an organisation training in Afghanistan, funded by the Saudi's, and ploughing planes into American landmarks, there is a need for global conceptions and global actions.
There are complex international links, made all the more potent by technology like the internet, mobile, plane... I think a conception like War on Terror, as intellectually unsatisfying as it is, is necessary - not only to address these complex, interconnected cells, but (perhaps more importantly) to assure civilians that the state is aggressively defending them
Hence elaborate airport security (most of it is to just reassure you that flying is safe)

Last edited:

spiny norman

HSC
How could someone be excited about someone's death?

Weird.

chicky_pie said:
When you terrorists die, what waits you is not heaven, 100 virgins or god, but realising that there is no heaven or god when you die, just darkness - and silence. Enjoy Atheism losers. :p
Hate to rain on your parade of utter joy in someone's death, but I'm pretty sure, if atheism is correct, that you don't have a period of realisation wherein you go "Ah, I see atheism's the way of the world. No heaven, just emptiness, nothingness, eternally. Bugger, how upsetting for me". You just go into it.

charlesdinio

HSC

I'm going to Bali right after they shoot the pieces of scum.

I'm shitting myself.

HSC

Graney said:
I think it's a really absurd situation where it's okay for the state to kill and dominate people, but whenever individuals organise and fight for their freedom, even if they're fighting against a tyrranous state, it's considered the worst of crimes.

People happily accept that the state should have all this power and are terrified of individuals who fight against oppression. Madness.

I think the intention of a lot of the anti-terror propaganda is to enforce states power and remove individuals liberty to oppose the state by any means necessary.
You are my favourite boser by far of all of them.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

youBROKEmyLIFE said:
You are my favourite boser by far of all of them.
When I joined bos, way back in 2004, I was a communist, though I didn't really understand what I believed beyond a wikipedia level and certainly couldn't articulately respond to criticisms of my beliefs. I have a huge debt to the bos libertarians, waf, malfoy, yourself, I wonder if I ever would have come to a cohorent political standpoint otherwise.

zstar

HSC
N/A
This execution is necessary and just, They will take into consideration what they done in this life and not repeat it in the next.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think that you could argue something like as long as they remain in prison, there's the possibility that tourists would be kidnapped and used to exchange etc

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Iron said:
I think a conception like War on Terror, as intellectually unsatisfying as it is, is necessary
Call it "war on radical islam". Honest and blunt, I'd get behind that 100%.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Lol, yeah. It's a dog whistle for that, but they cant be so honest in a globalized, postmodern world.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
i think you could argue that who gives a flying fuck. im pretty anti death penalty, but i'd like to see these fuckers roast like marshmellows.

nataliaa.cc

HSC
It's not exciting, it's just... justice, I guess. I don't particularly like the idea of the death penalty as it takes away basic human right, then again I think if you committ an act like this then you've given up your right to basic human right.

kadashlah

HSC
lol tru bout death penalty ... but too bad if you get the wrong person... or an arbitrary government ..

:::a:::

Un******
HSC

Graney said:
Do they? Always, really? A sufficiently powerfull and aggressive state will quickly and easily run over non-violent public resistance. Sometimes violence is necessary. Violence is one of many tools in fighting oppression.

I in no way endorse the actions of the bali bombers, or anyone who would deliberately cause unnecessary harm against civilians. "terrorism" is the loosest of definitions and when applied to the destruction of government, military and civic institutions by groups of individuals, for the purpose of opposing tyranny, I fully endorse this means.

All I'm saying is "terrorism" is not an absolute evil, often less so than war by the state.
Shuttttttuppppp. *smack*

:::a:::

Un******
HSC
Iron said:
I agree that it can be a handy term for a state, but part of the reason why there's no coordinated international response to it is because one state's baby killer is another state's freedom fighter. It's impossible to define under international law, without making a state's own military actions look hypocritical.

But we can agree that a state must challenge non-state actors who murder its civilians in the hope of maximizing their bargaining terms. Right now it's just commonsense to take this on a case by case basis, as you say. The Bali bombers, for instance, are terrorists - Obama is not
How is Obama not classified as a terrorist?
/curiosity

HSC
Iron said:
I think that you could argue something like as long as they remain in prison, there's the possibility that tourists would be kidnapped and used to exchange etc
Fairly certain thems be lawins be gainst them and the indornesians ain't for givin in them terrists

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)