The Bible (1 Viewer)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
jest said:
ok so not including the 10 commandments cos i know they use that but regarding the other laws (the not necessary ones) can christians still use those laws to justify actions? like can they pick and choose which laws to follow from the old testament?
Uh....yes, provided it doesn't conflict with what the New Testament says and doesn't conflict with Christian ideals. And generally, its not so much that they pick and choose which laws, but their sense of morality is guided by Chrisitan ideals.

So if someone commits adultery and the old testament says they have to be stoned...not on.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
stephenchow said:
I summon ... THE DARK MAGICIAN!!!!!!!!!

Btw, Torah does not equal the Old Testament. The Torah only contains the first five books of the Old Testament.
Old Testament contains Genesis

Therefore it contains the Creation Story.

And i already knew that it contains only the first five books of the Old Testament, thanks for pointing that out.

robbie1

HSC
Nice work S1MO (sent u a pm)

Interesting response to this thread, not one person has provided me with a "contradiction" from Sacred Scripture.

Very interesting, considering all I hear today is about how the Bible is a "joke" because of its "contradictions" yet not one person here has found one.

A few childish posts which was to be expected.

Again I say to you - find me one "contradiction" in the Bible.

NTB - be more specific. Give an example and I'll be in a better position to answer your question.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
robbie1 said:
Nice work S1MO (sent u a pm)

Interesting response to this thread, not one person has provided me with a "contradiction" from Sacred Scripture.

Very interesting, considering all I hear today is about how the Bible is a "joke" because of its "contradictions" yet not one person here has found one.

A few childish posts which was to be expected.

Again I say to you - find me one "contradiction" in the Bible.

NTB - be more specific. Give an example and I'll be in a better position to answer your question.
Yeah man, no worries. Just glad to help :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
lol I just wanted to know what you thought of the quote... It's a side-track that I may later bring up, it's actually paraphrased St. Augustine.

It's also of particular interest to me that you only picked out one of my points. What do you have to say to my claim that I could give equal service to harry potter stories as you could to the bible?

When he made light, the world it took a day. A day, sure. Thing is, he made day and night around 3-4 "days" AFTER the made lightness and darkness, the world, waters, etc. Thus, the sense of a day in the bible being a lunar day (i.e 24hrs) is wrong, because day and night, neccesary to establish the sense of the lunar, could not exist.
Why use the language of 'a day' then? It's a perfectly plausible explanation but I just see it as confabulous defence of something you hold dear.

Your move.
What? You think your argument is new to me? Give me a little more credit SIMO...

And generally, its not so much that they pick and choose which laws, but their sense of morality is guided by Chrisitan ideals.
This seems to be circular logic to me.

How do we decide which laws/ideals from the bible to follow?
Well we follow them by our christian ideals?
Where do we find our christian ideals?
The bible.
Ad infinitum.

It seems obvious to me that your pre-determined morality sets out which parts of the bible you will choose to accept.

If it turns out we have strong scientific proof that species evolved that means we must re-interpret the bible to allow for such evolution to take place.

Last edited:

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
lol I just wanted to know what you thought of the quote... It's a side-track that I may later bring up, it's actually paraphrased St. Augustine.

It's also of particular interest to me that you only picked out one of my points. What do you have to say to my claim that I could give equal service to harry potter stories as you could to the bible?
Of course you would, i mean, you don't even believe in Christianity. Why would you give a higher service to the Bible than some novel? Thats expected of all Athiests, although that being said you should respect other people's religions.

Why use the language of 'a day' then? It's a perfectly plausible explanation but I just see it as confabulous defence of something you hold dear.
Its my religion, of course i'd hold it dear :)

What? You think your argument is new to me? Give me a little more credit SIMO...
lol, yeah you're right, you're a good debater after all.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Explain to me your take on the trinity robbie1.

Of course you would, i mean, you don't even believe in Christianity. Why would you give a higher service to the Bible than some novel? Thats expected of all Athiests, although that being said you should respect other people's religions.
What I mean is that I could equally defend the truth of greek mythology as well as you can defend the truth of the bible... Do you disagree? I do respect other people's religions, what makes you think I don't?

lol, yeah you're right, you're a good debater after all.
Thankyou but I really don't want to be seen that way. I don't care for the 'debate' in the sense that I want to win points or stroke my ego... this isn't some sort of game to me, it's just sharing my thoughts -- If indeed that's what you might think.

Last edited:

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:

This seems to be circular logic to me.

How do we decide which laws/ideals from the bible to follow?
Well we follow them by our christian ideals?
Where do we find our christian ideals?
The bible.
Ad infinitum.

It seems obvious to me that your pre-determined morality sets out which parts of the bible you will choose to accept.
My morality, and the morality of Christians in general, is thus defined by the values of the New Testament. Remember, the Old Testament is what the Jews follow infallably. When Jesus Christ came he changed the rules of the Jewish people because the laws only applied while they were in wait for The Messiah, and the Messiah, which we believe to be Jesus Christ, came

If it turns out we have strong scientific proof that species evolved that means we must re-interpret the bible to allow for such evolution to take place.
Read what i posted about the creation story, the theory of evolution does not conflict with the Bible. It is possible that it happened during the "days".

Last edited:

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
You keep posting a barrage of questions, with the hope that robbie1 and I will eventually slip up and then you'll attack at how the Bible is "false".

You have some sort of problem with Christians?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
My, and the morality of Christians in general, is thus defined by the values of the New Testament. Remember, the Old Testament is what the Jews follow infallably. When Jesus Christ came he changed the rules of the Jewish people because the laws only applied while they were in wait for The Messiah, and the Messiah, which we believe to be Jesus Christ.
So you believe there's nothing in the new testament that requires such 'interpretation'? May I ask why the old testament is still included in the christian bible if (according to you) it's all outdated since the messiah has now been?

Read what i posted about the creation story, the theory of evolution does not conflict with the Bible. It is possible that it happened during the "days"
That's fine, I doubt robbie1 would be as willing to accept that though. For someone like you... One question I may ask (in relation to reading texts) why it is that you're willing to accept these excuses with so much vigor yet somehow still manage to see other faiths as less superior.

You keep posting a barrage of questions, with the hope that robbie1 and I will eventually slip up and then you'll attack at how the Bible is "false".
I'm really sorry if you feel I'm trying to 'barrage' you with questions... I'm really not hoping you'll slip up (feel free to engage me back) it's more that these are questions which I feel are of particular importance given this thread (at least to me) seems to have been created for combative defense of your religion.

You have some sort of problem with Christians?
hahahahha not at all... alot of you guys are real nice - In particular I like catholics (I have a bias as a born/raised catholic).

Last edited:

robbie1

HSC
The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Three distinct persons, yet one.

Understand? Niether do we.....the great mystery of faith :)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:

What I mean is that I could equally defend the truth of greek mythology as well as you can defend the truth of the bible... Do you disagree? I do respect other people's religions, what makes you think I don't?
No accusations intended, just i've noticed a lot of Athiets at this forum, and even at my school (its catholic mind you) making fun of Christianity, mocking the Sign of The Cross, even teasing the Eucharist. Unfortunately its an overwhelming majority who do such a thing.

Thankyou but I really don't want to be seen that way. I don't care for the 'debate' in the sense that I want to win points or stroke my ego... this isn't some sort of game to me, it's just sharing my thoughts -- If indeed that's what you might think.
Its more of a discussion where we're sharing our thoughts for the sake of it, no harm intended here.

stephenchow

HSC
S1M0 said:
And i already knew that it contains only the first five books of the Old Testament, thanks for pointing that out.
Contradiction here. If you knew, you would not have said the Torah is the Old Testament.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Understand? Niether do we.....the great mystery of faith
Can you show me the verses which you believe support the fact that this holy trinity exists?

No accusations intended, just i've noticed a lot of Athiets at this forum, and even at my school (its catholic mind you) making fun of Christianity, mocking the Sign of The Cross, even teasing the Eucharist.
ALOT of these people probably aren't atheists you know, they're more just very secular christians etc. But what do you really care if they mock your beliefs? Who are they really hurting in doing so? Mock atheists back... you're by far in the majority here.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
So you believe there's nothing in the new testament that requires such 'interpretation'? May I ask why the old testament is still included in the christian bible if (according to you) it's all outdated since the messiah has now been?
Because even so Christianity is also an extension of Judiasm, with one fundemental difference. The Messiah came.

That's fine, I doubt robbie1 would be as willing to accept that though. For someone like you... One question I may ask (in relation to reading texts) why it is that you're willing to accept these excuses with so much vigor yet somehow still manage to see other faiths as less superior.
Well we believe that what they're saying is wrong.

Besides, compared to the other Semitic religions we don't really view them as "inferior" as of such. I mean, Jews call us Gentiles, and Muslims call us "infidel" (although some argue such). We don't really use "herectic" as acknowledging a non-believer in Christianity.

I'm really sorry if you feel I'm trying to 'barrage' you with questions... I'm really not hoping you'll slip up (feel free to engage me back) it's more that these are questions which I feel are of particular importance given this thread (at least to me) seems to have been created for combative defense of your religion.
Well okay yeah, but the pace at which everyone's posting questions are at quite a fast pace. :)

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
stephenchow said:
Contradiction here. If you knew, you would not have said the Torah is the Old Testament.
I said Torah/Old Testament. This is because what i was saying was relevant to Jews as well as Christians.

Come to think of it, I should've said Torah/Old Testament/Qu'ran. Oh well..

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
ALOT of these people probably aren't atheists you know, they're more just very secular christians etc. But what do you really care if they mock your beliefs? Who are they really hurting in doing so? Mock atheists back... you're by far in the majority here.
Its insulting.

Its like me teasing anglo-saxon australians as "skips" and teasing Australia and its culture and heritage. Now, if i do that (even though i'm part, but lets assume in this one instance i'm not) you're going to get offended right? I could go to a beach right now, say stuff like that, and i would get bashed. Easy.

But yeah, you're right.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Because even so Christianity is also an extension of Judiasm, with one fundemental difference. The Messiah came.
So what are you saying? It's there for an interesting backstory?

Well we believe that what they're saying is wrong.
Yea but why? I can't see how one faith can be more true than the other when they all (to me) end up having to rely on the power of 'faith' or the mystery of 'god'... essentially.

Besides, compared to the other Semitic religions we don't really view them as "inferior" as of such. I mean, Jews call us Gentiles, and Muslims call us "infidel" (although some argue such). We don't really use "herectic" as acknowledging a non-believer in Christianity.
That's nice of you guys.

Its like me teasing anglo-saxon australians as "skips" and teasing Australia and its culture and heritage. Now, if i do that (even though i'm part, but lets assume in this one instance i'm not) you're going to get offended right? I could go to a beach right now, say stuff like that, and i would get bashed. Easy.
It's definately not nice to pick on people.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)