• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

the Bored of Studies Law Students' Favourite Law Firm Awards 2005!!! (1 Viewer)

What is your favourite law firm?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Law firms rankings revealed

IN AN unprecedented move, the rankings held by firms nominated in the 2005 Fuji Xerox Australian Law Awards are able to be seen live at the BigPulse voting site linked to http://www.lawawards.com.au/. While the number of votes awarded to each firm are still suppressed, firms are ranked in each award category based on the number of votes they have received.
as i make this post, the leaders for the Law Firm of the Year (over 500 practicing certificates) are BDW, Freehills and Mallesons.
In the 51-100 practicing certificates category, Holding Redlich, HDY and G+T are leading.
In the 5-50 practicing certificates category, leading are Meerkin & Apel Lawyers, Atanaskovic Hartnell, Anderson Rice Lawyers.
In the Employer of Choice award, leading are Holding Redlich, Clayton Utz and Minter Ellison.

so, in the spirit of good fun, we're gonna hold our own poll (non-serious btw):

announcing...

the inaugural Bored of Studies Law Students' Favourite Law Firm Awards 2005!!!

polling closes 16th of May, just like the real Law Awards. voting options can be seen. there aren't any prizes as such (i want a 'Property of Gadens' t-shirt), although the winning firm will have first pickings of BoS law kids when we graduate ;)

edit - VOTING CRITERIA:
  • has a law firm been 'nice' to you in the past?
  • has their ample bribery of free stationery, showbags and minties been enough to move you to fuzziness?
  • have their work/pro-bono opportunities, free trips to hong kong, shanghai, london, make you go OWWWWW?
  • do their pretty skyscraping-level offices make your youthful eyes sparkle with hope and determination?
now you go show your love
<3 for your favourite law firm! VOTE NOW!

Last edited:

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
i seriously cannot see there being enough interest in this thread to keep it alive
bump and vote

is a roflcopter
HSC
HDY's building made me go GAGA

= Jennifer =

HSC
hmmmm i have only been a law student for 10 weeks so i doubt that i have much imput for this :p although, BDW i see flying its name around uws quite a bit

Rorix

HSC
MINTER ELLISON HAS FREE PERSONAL HAND TOWELS IN THEIR BATHROOMS!!!!!

you haven't lived until you've washed your hands there
im glad that theres individual towels, because the staff members that i saw in the toilets had low hygene standards>_<

sugared plum

HSC
not fall asleep??? alcohol can make you go to sleep, it's a depressant

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Haha Frigid wait and see how much you like them when you're actually working for them.
My Dad was at Mallesons and it was common for them to have to pull allnighters.
All of them are bloodsucking, they only care about maintaining partners' equities, the client is #1 and the staff are nothing.
Oh and do you know how many associates there are compared to vacant partner positions?
Any extra partner's dilute equity and so most of the big firms are not opening up any new positions as profit over the last few years has been minimal.
At least if the work you were doing was worthwhile the work could be interesting but the vast majority of it is just transactional work, writing contracts, looking at ways to reduce stamp duties e.t.c.
Working for one of these firms is something I would do for the experience and the money (which for what they put you through is really not that great) and from there I would move to the bar or into finance.
I have talked to a lot of people who have worked for the big firms and not many have enjoyed it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Soma said:
Working for one of these firms is something I would do for the experience and the money (which for what they put you through is really not that great) and from there I would move to the bar or into finance.
I have talked to a lot of people who have worked for the big firms and not many have enjoyed it.
good point... i was talking to this graduate law guy and he said basically if you work at non-commercial law places, the training is never as good...

the money at finance and merchant banks is like the best, but apparently some of those places work your graduate ass off too :p

oh well, i'll just see what happens... right now i'm in Top-Tier-Love just like i used to love usyd in high school. naive little law boy :p

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Yeh man, I reckon for a few years the prestige and money would be great but after that the glamour would wear off a bit. No doubt it would be great for the experience though.

And yeh merchant banking is where I want to be. I'm sure any high paying job works your arse off but at least as a banker you are a deal-maker, with performance fees rather than just a solicitor churning out documents.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Soma said:
And yeh merchant banking is where I want to be
Ugh god no. Let the commerce students go for that one.

It's commercial litigation for me then off to the bar.

...and then maybe the bench in about 35 years from now :)

sugared plum

HSC
really? hear so many different things from people- this boy from my old school's mum used to work at mac and she didn't like it at all (but sometimes earnt more than his father who is partner at lawfirm)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)