• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Coles Thread (1 Viewer)

Tragesty

HSC
After further thought I'm planning to head to Coles (sister will be able to help me and such) and she told me that every 6 months your pay goes up. Is this true?

bdude

HSC
Well yes, the current award has pay-rises in Feb 2010 and Aug 2010 (of about 15-20c/hour) but who knows what the next award will have.

And remember that on your birthday until 20/21 (i forget) your rate of pay as a junior will increase (45% <15, 50% 15-16, 55% 16-17....)

bdude

HSC
Well yes, the current award has pay-rises in Feb 2010 and Aug 2010 (of about 15-20c/hour) but who knows what the next award will have.

And remember that on your birthday until 20/21 (i forget) your rate of pay as a junior will increase (45% <15, 50% 15-16, 55% 16-17....)

DEL1200

HSC
N/A
Well I found this thread via Facebook.

I've been working for Coles for nearly three years now in the service area.

Does anybody have to stand in front of their checkout whilst they are not serving customers ?

bdude

HSC
Does anybody have to stand in front of their checkout whilst they are not serving customers ?
Nope, that sounds silly. But if there's a customer lineing up when there's a register free nearby I'll direct them to the open checkout and supervisors will usually direct people to free registers.

On another note, a lady wrote a nice feedback form about me and management gave me a box of chocolates

DEL1200

HSC
N/A
Nope, that sounds silly. But if there's a customer lineing up when there's a register free nearby I'll direct them to the open checkout and supervisors will usually direct people to free registers.

On another note, a lady wrote a nice feedback form about me and management gave me a box of chocolates
It does sounds silly doesn't it. Well that is what we are expected to do at my store. According to management we have to do this because our store is being overhauled and this a decision by state office.

I would love to know what the SDA would think of it since we don't have anti-fatigue mats at the front of the checkout.

I'm seriously considering putting for a store transfer to a closer store to get away from the madness of it all :spzz: .

I've got positive feedback before but no Chocolate.

bdude

HSC
It does sounds silly doesn't it. Well that is what we are expected to do at my store. According to management we have to do this because our store is being overhauled and this a decision by state office.
Well I could understand if it's moderately busy and you're not out the front for long, but at say 8pm on a Monday when there's hardly anyone in the store there's no way that I would stand out the front of my register for sometimes up to 10-15 minutes at a time.

Question: Does anybody else's store have a "facing" express layout - two checkouts connected to the service desk and then a little enclosed module with two express checkouts facing each other. Ours got moved that way a few months ago and I hadn't seen it but the night supervisor said it's that way in QLD.

DEL1200

HSC
N/A
Question: Does anybody else's store have a "facing" express layout - two checkouts connected to the service desk and then a little enclosed module with two express checkouts facing each other. Ours got moved that way a few months ago and I hadn't seen it but the night supervisor said it's that way in QLD.
The Coles at Capalaba Park in the outer eastern suburbs of Brisbane has this setup. It was rather weird to see.

Predator78

HSC
Hey all,
Does anyone one have tips to get a job at Coles?
Like things you should have for experience such as leadership skills,past jobs etc?
I'm in the process of looking over and completing the online form atm and have been told from numerous friends that I should apply as soon as possible? Or is it too late?
Are they flexible in hours and are they good to work for (Seems they are) and other info that can help is much appreciated :)

Thanks guys:)

bdude

HSC
Well I know for myself I just filled in the online form with my details, resume, etc; did the test and then a few months later got a call from a lady at my local Coles asking if I'd like to come in for an interview.

If you go in-store they'll probably just tell you to go online, unless they're specifically looking for a certain position (i.e. a few months ago my local Coles were desperate for late night/overnight nightfill staff so they put some signs up around the store and in the paper)

With regards to flexibility, hours, etc. that all depends on your store's CSM, the Service wages budget and the number of staff.

If you're >18 you'll probably get a few more hours because you'll be able to work reg#9 and express (because you can sell cigarettes)

Craven

HSC
The coles in our centre is like that, I think... I don't take much notice of coles. I'm from QLD, haha.

Predator78

HSC
Well I know for myself I just filled in the online form with my details, resume, etc; did the test and then a few months later got a call from a lady at my local Coles asking if I'd like to come in for an interview.

If you go in-store they'll probably just tell you to go online, unless they're specifically looking for a certain position (i.e. a few months ago my local Coles were desperate for late night/overnight nightfill staff so they put some signs up around the store and in the paper)

With regards to flexibility, hours, etc. that all depends on your store's CSM, the Service wages budget and the number of staff.

If you're >18 you'll probably get a few more hours because you'll be able to work reg#9 and express (because you can sell cigarettes)
Thanks for that much appreciated :)
I did go instore and as you said they did say to apply online.
Would they accept around 8-10 hours a week?
I've heard that it helps if I put up skills that have been had in other jobs such as cash management and safe food handling help?

Thanks again.

bdude

HSC
8-10 hours as a maximum? Depends on the store but in my store I get on average 10-15 hours/week.

The most important thing is to be flexible (well, at least during your application & interview ;)) - I need money at the moment so I always stay back, come in early, do call-in shifts.

It also depends on when you can get there after school, I usually get only one weekday shift because all the people who go to schools closer in town get earlier shifts.

zobothebobo

HSC
i just got a job as a checkout chick. =]. pretty simple really, it was only like a 5 minute interview, and they seemed to be doing mass hiring anyway, as they're opening up a target across the road in about a month. plus i'm 15, so i'm cheap. induction's on tuesday. i'm pretty excited, and after reading this thread i pretty much know what to expect. :)

Predator78

HSC
8-10 hours as a maximum? Depends on the store but in my store I get on average 10-15 hours/week.

The most important thing is to be flexible (well, at least during your application & interview ;)) - I need money at the moment so I always stay back, come in early, do call-in shifts.

It also depends on when you can get there after school, I usually get only one weekday shift because all the people who go to schools closer in town get earlier shifts.
8-10 would probaly be the average with two to three shifts a week.
I do that with my job at the moment now pretty much anyway start early and stay back for a bit. It all counts I suppose.
Its gettable to be there after school pending on which store I choose since there around 4 in the area. With one being near school and the other two being a bus ride away. I would probaly look more towards weekend shifts anyway if possible. May as well give it a shot but thanks :)

bdude

HSC
If there's four nearby, I'd try to find the one that's the easiest to get to really becuase if you're doing a shift till 9pm, the buses might not run or have odd timetables

bdude

HSC
Another straw poll: If something's on a multibuy special, do you tell the customer? Like when donuts are two-for-one, I usually will say you can get another one for free, some people really appreciate it.

Or like this week when a chicken and 1.25L coke is $10, I have to point out to some people that they can save 90c by buying a Coke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)