The Coles Thread (1 Viewer)

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Didn't know that Coles does Nightfill. My store is only open from 7-9pm so mabye thats why, plus were always empty (hence the one-shift-per week basis..) so is it for busy stores or 24/7 ones?

CieL

HSC
custardpie said:
hey guys

recently applied online with coles and got a call for an interview last week for the nightfill position at my local coles, and had the interview this morning. it was simple enough, but they told me nightfill meant 11:30pm - 7:00am! I'm not sure if I'm up for that...but yeah the lady interviewing me said I'd more or less gotten the job at the end of the interview. She said the rates were quite good due to the hours, but i didn't want to ask her what it was exactly, might give the wrong impression...but yeah just wondering if anyone knows how much the payrate is for nightfill for a 19 year old?

thanks for the help!
Umm.. 19yr old pay rate is around $16.xx
However, since nightfill in your respect is out of trading hours, I'm expecting you'll get a heaps higher penalty rate.. of which, I'm not sure because our nightfill only stays till 10pm..

custardpie

HSC
yeah lol its out of trading hours...i was told we were more or less shut inside the store until sunrise, the pay had better be good!

the reason im actually asking is coz im currently working at a crappy call centre which im sick to death of...it pays 21 an hour and if coles nightfill comes even remotely close to it, i'm on my way! I actually googled nightfill payrates earlier in the week, and i found this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080521202918AAbzMN0

but i dont know how accurate that is, coz he/she (19 years old) says they get paid 20 p/hour normally when i know for a fact that it's $16 like Ciel said. ah well, hopefully someone on here has some clue regarding the actual rate.

Cheers guys!

custardpie

HSC
milocole said:
Didn't know that Coles does Nightfill. My store is only open from 7-9pm so mabye thats why, plus were always empty (hence the one-shift-per week basis..) so is it for busy stores or 24/7 ones?
milocole, the coles store ill be working at is open from 6am - midnight, so it's not 24/7, and i don't think it's all that busy either, but it's certainly not empty.

thaoiiiee

HSC
N/A
I got a group interview after that 1-on-1 tomorrow for a new Coles store. Any1 know what activites we're doing and what qs they'll ask???

CieL

HSC
thaoiiiee said:
I got a group interview after that 1-on-1 tomorrow for a new Coles store. Any1 know what activites we're doing and what qs they'll ask???
Please read the whole of this thread before you ask a redundant question.
There will be no activities.
Examples of questions are all over this thread.
If you just search this thread and type in "interview" you will find them.

nanaxdd

HSC
N/A
Coles Supervisors

how long do you have to work till they promote you to a supervisors for the checkout section? and is being a supervisor much easier than checking out haha?

nanaxdd

HSC
N/A
hey guys, how does the scan rate at coles work? and how do you get a high scan rate?

born2b

HSC
Re: Coles Supervisors

all depends on ur personality... LOL

if your a suck up and the manager loves u... after probation?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

well, if it's similar to woolworths, there's not just an automatic promotion after a certain amount of time, they just pick people who are right for the job, which usually includes

-wide availibility, or availibility suitable to the times supervisors are required
-committment
-being seen as confident enough to be able to handle customer complaints

and most of all: being seen as a responsible employee

like at our store we had one checkout operator promoted after only a few months, whereas i was there 2 or 3 years before i got asked to do it

jas62

HSC

Seriously get as far up your service managers arse as possible it will help!!

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC

Also depends on your age.

My brother started working at coles at 16, and he became a supervisor when he was 19, because obviously they werent gonna make a 16yo supervisor.

But even at 19 he is stil the youngest supervisor at his store

nanaxdd

HSC
N/A
which coles do you work at?

i work at the one in broadway shopping centre....what about everyone else?

jas62

HSC

I'm only 17 and i was supervising when i was 16!! Older crapper supervisors dont like it but hey they can get over it!! just coz i'm better hehe

nanaxdd

HSC
N/A
so how does the scan rate thing work? and how do you improve ur scan rate?

greekgun

HSC
nanaxdd said:
so how does the scan rate thing work? and how do you improve ur scan rate?
Its worked out by averaging your items scanned per min, and then its put on a scale of 1-17 where ur score is compared against others: like if every1 does really bad, and u do ok - ur score gets pushed up, whereas if everyone does really well and u do ok ur score gets pushed down...kinda like how u get makred in VCE.

And u improve ur scan rate by scanning faster. 1 useful tip is when u arent serving anyone, press the operater button - this way, when ur not serving anyone, ur scan rate is not being monitered, because if u leave the screen on serving mode when ur not scanning, ur scan rate goes down.

CieL

HSC

nanaxdd said:
how long do you have to work till they promote you to a supervisors for the checkout section? and is being a supervisor much easier than checking out haha?
It's not the length of time you work.
It's how suitable you are for the position.

I was promoted to be a supervisor 2 months after I started the job.

Several people who started working months/years before me were still just operators. So it depends on the individual. Especially how fast you learn.

As to... is it easier? Depends on if you want to do a good job or a dodgy job.
And how a supervisor works depends on the size of the store and how many staff are on the registers.

HSC

my store has a 15 year old supervisor, she'd been there approx a year and a half before she was made a supervisor.
she has a massive availability though.

bdude

HSC

Have any of you guys' stores been told not to use checkout closed signs? I went to put my sign up last night and my CSM said that they've been told to not use signs but to just close the gate/put a trolley in the aisle. It's so stupid, because as I was helping my CSM do the end of night stuff so many people came up and started to try and put things on the conveyor belt.

She also mentioned that apparently soon we will have to try and sell selected products to customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)