The Crucible and belonging (1 Viewer)

sannous1

HSC
i noe theres a hundred posts on the crucible, but i dnt get how it relates to belonging seriously , does any1 noe?

Stoogey

HSC
My teacher gave me stacks and stacks of notes on thematic concerns in relation to The Crucible, but i cant be bothered looking them up yet and typing out notes. SO...i did a quick google search and got this..

"In the community you can see many factions develop, which individuals belong to or are excluded from. Some characters, like John Proctor, choose not to belong for the sake of preserving their own values rather than being caught up in the hysteria sweeping the town. There is the notion of the "outsider" in Tituba as well as some other characters."

So from that, it sort of gives you a starting point. There are also some different aspects of belonging, they include:

-inclusion
-exclusion
-barriers to belonging (such as age, the young girls didnt really have no status)
-choices to or not to belong
-attitudes to belonging
-identity and belonging of the self

There are a few other themes for The Crucible as well, but most of them can be related back to the main theme of 'belonging' anyway. See if you can go and track down some study guide books for the crucible at a library or something, cause i know there are some ok ones out there, such as the 'Get Smart' guides.

Petite Choux

HSC
i agree.
its shit.
terrible.
that play...it's good, but it's only remotely about belonging, it's stupid that we are forced to fit in theme's when they really only have a vague essence there.

Adammmk

HSC
Petite Choux said:
i agree.
its shit.
terrible.
that play...it's good, but it's only remotely about belonging, it's stupid that we are forced to fit in theme's when they really only have a vague essence there.
Holy shit...whoever you are kind stranger, you speak so much sense! Took the words straight outta my mouth.

If I ever one day see you in person, expect a hug!!

Petite Choux

HSC
ahhh!
i get it now. bahahha, i was abit shocked today...!

*dada, ohh, must have been while you were kissing me..*
haha, best song ever.

but yes - THE CRUCIBLE *dies.

Batman2009

HSC
yeh my school put on the play & it really gave me an insight into the play like made it easier to study [sorta] ....they should've updated the syllabus we could do belonging texts of our choice instead of having the whole yr cover on text for belonging... what do you think are the best belonging texts to relate besides "the crucible":jedi:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
'The Crucible' really isn't a good text for belonging. It worked so much better for Tragic Heros.

If you want, do a bit of extra reading on the reasoning behind the witch hunts. That will assist you in finding 'belonging' in the text.

Batman2009

HSC
i wish we got offered that it sounds better...I was thinking maybe 'Looking For Alibrandi' , 'Harry Potter series' or the 'Twilight Saga' as related texts... gah confuzzled!

Doraa__

HSC
Yeah im hating this Crucible stuff..
What songs do u think would be good for extra material??

Standard English, General Math, Spanish, PDHPE and CAFS :wave:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
i wish we got offered that it sounds better...I was thinking maybe 'Looking For Alibrandi' , 'Harry Potter series' or the 'Twilight Saga' as related texts... gah confuzzled!
No offense, but bad related texts.
Look for Alibrandi was on the HSC course, so it's 'frowned upon' because it's seen as the 'easy way out'. As for HP and Twilight....well - you should know better than to use those.

HSC
Hmm just curious i borrow i think it was sparknotes can't remember, it didn't really help me to show how the Crucible related to belong, and i want to no this, do many ppl talk about how once Abigail form a group with people in soceity, it leaves people such as protor or the nurses powerless, something on those lines.....

closmo

HSC
The Crucible can be about belonging.
It's all about communal belonging and how fear unifies and defines it. The community has been being divided by Parris with his "fire and Brimstone" attitude towards religion, but even before that Giles already hints at the trouble brewing "...it's a deep thing, and dark as a pit".

But you have the people like Proctor who are independant people and stand on their own two feet and then you have Parris and the Putnams who need to mind each others business and make sure that they know everything and who need to have that social acceptance.

Abigail is an orphan and didn't belong to a family even after she lived with Parris and Betty. Her little 'girl group' is where she is supreme ruler and suddenly she has the power to change the community's opinions as they are ruled by fear.

It can also be said that Goody (Elizabeth) Proctor, once she was betrayed by John, now feels as if she doesn't belong in her own home. Proctor doesn't belong because of his own choosing, which is due to the hatred of Parris.

I hope that helps somewhat

SoMeRaNdOm.

HSC
Proctor:
  • chooses not to belong in Salem society for he has sinned
  • doesn't belong in family because of this
  • doesn't belong in court - trying to overturn
  • belongs to his own values as he chooses truth over lies.
Abigail:
  • only ligit way to belong is to accept status of child and obey rules
  • belongs as she finds a place, a role and power in society
  • wants to belong as a woman
here is a few starters ... hope it helps

jiratic

HSC
Of all the belongign prescribed texts (I've read/seen them all) theres no doubt in my mind the crucible as a text is the most enjoyable.
On a scale of 1-10 i'd say its an 9 on how easy it is to relate back to belonging.
J.P> enriching and challenging the oppressive religious fervour .
Abigail and all the girls; how a sense of isolation and shame (exclusion), drive their actions
juxtapose these two: duality/yin-yang (don't ever use yin yang in a essay, its just to explain )
How our identity shapes us - Abigail how her lack of family grounding as an orphan leads to her vulnerable identity--> her strong but questionable desire to belong is a major point of the novel.
thats off the top of my head, i'm surei coudl write pages if i wanted to but its not my prescribed text, Skryznecki is ) :

hdnlv

HSC
i dont think its that bad actually, if you look at the characters you can see the concept of belong explored through their actions and beliefs. but i agree, its main theme is definitely not belonging.

ccy

HSC
Argh we have an assessment coming up on the Crucible and our task is to deliver a speech on 'the importance of having a positive sense of belonging' :|
Stupid thesis is driving me insane, should I make it on both acceptance and rejection, or no?

It's difficult to talk about a positive sense of belonging in the Crucible!
I'm guessing it would have something to do with Abigail's desire to belong? Or maybe John Proctor's ultimate sense of belonging within himself?

Eeeep help! Haha.

N

Nicola1616

No offense, but bad related texts.
Look for Alibrandi was on the HSC course, so it's 'frowned upon' because it's seen as the 'easy way out'. As for HP and Twilight....well - you should know better than to use those.
No offense but you sound like a bit of a wanker - what does "you should know better" mean? This person is doing standard and besides both Harry Potter and Twilight are great texts for belonging. If nothing else they allow the student to explore the phenomenal popularity of texts that explore the 'outsider' finding a place to belong and hence how this obviously resonates so strongly within society. Don't be such a snob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)