The Exam Preparation Thread (1 Viewer)

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
No prac at USyd.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry :) ? :(

We're not really trained to deal with 'real' people ... we do focus on dealing with other lawyers, and of course a big section on dealing with companies but 'real people' only get about two week's worth of classes.

Most of my class worked at Mallesons/Clutz/Allens (and there's that one weird chap from Freehills ...) so they really woldn't have time for prac anyway ...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I haven't done it yet, I put it off until second semester next year cos I haven't had time this year to spend my 'spare' time in unpaid employment (although I think most of the places people are sent for their 20 hours (the first component) actually pay the students).

I think its pretty good, because many people won't actually have any experience working in the legal environment until their first job.....this way they have at least been exposed to the 'real' world.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Ms 12 said:
-Law in the Community--completion of 30 hours voluntary (pro bono) service with a community legal service or public interest service (not being one in which they completed their 'Law in Practice Component)
i challenge the 'voluntariness' if it is a compulsory part of your course :p

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Haha yeah its a very good point...I think it just means you shouldn't expect payment for it...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
erawamai said:
UNSW LLS sends us to kingsford for an afternoon. We conduct interviews.
We have a whole compulsory client interviewing subject. As well as an advocacy one and a mediation one.

Demandred

HSC
I find law is relatively easier than other exams, or at least less stressful as it is an open book exam.

I try to summarise cases into two parts, the facts and the principle.

E.g. Cook v Cook, idiot relative who let child drive car, found the SoC test is partially subjective.

ManlyChief

HSC
Demandred said:
I find law is relatively easier than other exams, or at least less stressful as it is an open book exam.

E.g. Cook v Cook, idiot relative who let child drive car, found the SoC test is partially subjective.
I hate open book exams in law!

My best exam performance has been contracts - total colsed book - HD! :)

Although today's open book was a good exam - I think :)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
There is no point to closed book exams in law.

Never are you going to have to sit in court guiding a case purely on your memory. Law exams should examine your ability to apply, not memorise.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Demandred said:

Law exams generally require more than identification of issues and saying what principle should be applied. You need to know the arguments of the judges. What the line of authority was etc. All the exceptions. Whether there is something in the judgment which you can use to advance your argument which shows that you have read the case well and that you actually understand it rather than leaching of someone and parrot learning principles

Ms 12 said:

Never are you going to have to sit in court guiding a case purely on your memory. Law exams should examine your ability to apply, not memorise.
It's not like open book helps that much. It's more like an security blanket. I never have much time to look at my notes. If you are checking your notes all the time if probably means you don't know your work well. The best exam results I've gotten are when I hardly touch my notes. The best notes won't save you if you don't understand what is going on.

Law exams are probably the best way to examine a persons individual ability. Assignments can be dodgy at uni. There seems to be way too many groups getting together. Pretty unfair on the person who does it all on their own.

Last edited:

ManlyChief

HSC
Ms 12 said:

I think there is some merit in closed book examinations:

- they reduce the possibility that extended prose pieces will not be students' original work

- they really, really do force all students to learn the law, as it were, which is different from memorising for the latter suggests a rote-style approach whereas the learning of the law is a far more profound activity requiring the deliberation and reflection on the principles of law and reasoning in decisions relevant.

Ms 12's second point is a fair one, however really everything in a law exam is artificial and not like 'real life' practice. But if a comparison can be drawn, I think a more appropriate comparison would be to presenting a case on appeal and having to answer from memory and reasoning (as one does in moots) questions from the bench ...

Anyway it's all academic now since I finished my exams today - yay! No more law exams for 1.5 years!!!! :) what ever shall I do with myself ...

HSC
ManlyChief said:
No more law exams for 1.5 years!!!! :) what ever shall I do with myself ...
Awww, and me coming up to my first (real) law exam next week! How come you don't have any law exams??? *seethes*

santaslayer

HSC
ManlyChief said:
I think there is some merit in closed book examinations:

- they reduce the possibility that extended prose pieces will not be students' original work

- they really, really do force all students to learn the law, as it were, which is different from memorising for the latter suggests a rote-style approach whereas the learning of the law is a far more profound activity requiring the deliberation and reflection on the principles of law and reasoning in decisions relevant.

1) Yep, one of my lae exams, I didn't think much at all because I wrote the correct notes which fit the questions pretty well. LoLz.

2) The law changes though!

Ms12, about the 60hrs work experience and so so...
do we have to find our own place to work or is it all arranged for us?

ManlyChief

HSC
Multiple Choice Questions

talking about exams ...

in yesterday's law one we had a multiple choice section - 10 questions, 10 marks (out of the total of 50) - it was, to say the least, a little weird and i'm not sure why they put it in ... has anyone else had multiple choice in law? ... what do you folks think about it?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Cop out :)

But that way they can make the two essay questions worth a nice and round 20 marks each I guess (that is, assuming you had 2 essay questions...)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
fuck i've done nothing yesterday!!!!

MUST JACK UP THE EFFICIENCY!!!!1!1111 :cool:

48 hours / 24 crim classes = 2 hrs / class. :RAWR:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
ManlyChief said:
talking about exams ...

in yesterday's law one we had a multiple choice section - 10 questions, 10 marks (out of the total of 50) - it was, to say the least, a little weird and i'm not sure why they put it in ... has anyone else had multiple choice in law? ... what do you folks think about it?
What is with this lastest trend of multi choices? I don't like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)