The F1 Thread (1 Viewer)

ohdato

HSC
re: The Official F1 Thread

I wouldnt go as far as calling him an idiot. I think one thing that F1 lacks is personalities and character, he whinges of course but he has more passion and all of that then say Jnr Schumi and Trulli. I think he had balls to move and not just get pushed down the shitter teams. I think he has alot of skill as a driver (look back at the late 90's in the TARGET CART car)
Would like to see him in a champ car again thats for sure.

SFW is suposed to be giving some info away about next year as well
by the end of the month which is good.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Ok, he pulled some great moves off, eg: Brazil 2001. But since he left williams and went to macca, he turned into a Sato. Last year was not impressive at all. This year has been no better.

Personality, hmm ... he was the one to dethrown schumi, but well. Even I find Kimi to have more personaility than monty.

Oh, De la Rosa to replace Montoya until the end of the season? Read it on a website. Strange that they couldn't put Hamilition in, considering everyone thinks hes coming to F1 next year.

Webbers contract with the option expires July 31st. Recently I've noticed that he isn't saying "i want to stay at williams". Renault or Macca? Only problem with macca is two of flavio's boys will be there.

bizadfar

HSC

Tuna said:
Everyone wants to ban Traction Control. It will be interesting to watch....Sure, if they are good then it will look like the old days. If they not then they'll crash. So, you could mention a few words about ECUs etc. They need Traction Control and the argument ends here. If their cars crash all the way through the season then you tell me....
If the car crashes it's either poor design-handling, or driver error. and 98% is driver error. And no they won't crash as easy as you think. If someone is so wimpy, they can go back to GP2 or DTM or something. Banning TC will change the design of the cars, and obviously remove TC, not just the latter. IE, wieght distribution is a crucial factor when playing with and without TC.

You don't want to see full opp lock on corner exit? You don't want to see closer racing? You don't want the racing to be so repetitive?

Ohdata said:
but even know they have issues
with too much oversteer. Would be a struggle for
some.
Again the design of the car is crucial. Bringing more weight to the rear and effective weight distribution coupled with a stable chassis will effectively eliminating the oversteer.
The 2000/2001/2002 ferraris had great aero and Adrian Newey admitted the F2002 had probably the best chassis. I also beleive the F399 was great, just slower than the MP4-14 on the straight.

CAPE said:
And microsoft has been announced as the official ECU supplier.

What about a limitation on the amount of traction control they use? Is that possible?
Funny you mention that, some F1 freaks on MSN list had the display name along the lines of "Microsoft in F1 is a disaster"
There was something funny i found GM VS Microsoft, i think it's from this forum... forgot. Anyway I"ll paste it here:
Computer vs Car
At a computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon".

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors reportedly issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and! reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only ninety-five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

Cape, checking the % of TC would be difficult. You would have to supply controlled telementary software to teams, and probably a controlled chip in the engine to detect it. So i think it's either TC allowed, or no TC+ Controlled ECU.

Ohdata look for Senna and Piquet Hungry, also Senna qualifying for Suzuka. I love Suzuka, and onboards are just as nice to watch. Senna on slicks+wet was amazing, such as Donington, where he passed 5 cars in 1 lap. But generally his just a freak in the wet, as much as Schumacher.

Ohdata said:
Lets give them too much HP, no driving aids, LIMITED aero and slick tyres....FTW
I agree, we need:
-V10 engines back, more torque too. (also, these V8s will probably reach 25000rpm and up to 900hp in like 5-6 years)
-No TC, but inclue a CONTROLLED ECU.
-Slightly lower aero than now (the 2006 aero spec is actually not bad) Sure, loss of downforce is a problem. But that can be overcome with better tracks. And you"ll see further down this list the cure.
-FIA proposition for 2008 style wing(the hole - dual wing thing) CANCELLED (this idea is just stupid, and doesn't encourage passing into turn 1 or on/during/after a straight)
-GET RID OF TILKE the idiot. His stuffed up Hockenheim, China, Hungry, Bahrain(nice to drive on, hard to pass, unless you have a significant straight line speed advantage). 14 turn tracks idea is stupid. Bring back some older tracks with more passing places, wider tracks, more slipstream passing opportunities, like spa (flat in eua rouge, slip stream into next chicane, slight slip into la source, slip into bus stop, and the newer bus stop is much much better.
-Make Monza first chicane wider, not so tight - good slip opportunity OR remove the second chicane completely. Who knows, you might avoid 2000 monza style race :)

Ohdata said:
RPM had a good article on the racing wheel for Honda and all the buttons and tricks. Pretty simple looking and operated but does so much.
Looks simple and easy to operate, but operate it while racing, and focusing on the corner. ANd without TC or other driver aids such as ABS, stability, active suspension you have to think much more than just brake point and turn in. WHen to brake, how much pressure, your brake bias as fuel is burned, turn in, solve slides, mid corner correction and speed input, exiting corner, how much throttle to apply, apply opp lock if your oversteering. It sounds easy but only comes with one thing - practice and skill. And in a car heavier and more poweful than a simple kart, it's alot harder. I've spun heaps of times in kart, but it's all comes to you and lets you set that almost perfect lap.

Cape said:
YES!! Best news all week!! One idiot gone, another 2 or 3 still left. Atleast nascar won't be too challenging for him. Left, left, left, left, left, left, left, left, left .... smash!

BMW has also recruited Macca's engine designer. Two things from this:
- Macca will have nobody except nando at the end of the year
- BMW's are going to go kaboom every weekend.

Ferrari have an extra 20hp for their engine for France, new aero and bridgestone have "super" soft tyres for France.
Oh, did anyone see Schumi and Corinna at the Germany vs Portugal game :D
The guy has good knowledge of how to design light engines. 98 and 99 mclaren success was largely due to the lightness of the engine (made from berrylium in that time - later on banned). But it will still be useful. The 2000, 2001 mclaren was just as competitive - only schumacher was too good/sly (your opinion here) and mclaren made mistakes (wing setup etc).

I thougt it was going to be Renault territory in France. But I hope the Ferrari can put up a good fight. This news just lifts my expectation higher. Should be great. Shame i have to go to school the next day after supposedly a great race. Great fun driving in France on an F1 simulator, while trying not to go wide in the fast chicanes and estoril, locking up(after the uphill chicane esp and the hairpin). Very absorbing track, quite difficult to pass on though. Only opportunity is the:
-Infamous hairpin(adelaide?) where Hakkinen overtook numerous cars in a wet race. He also stuffed it (no TC, turned himself around) one time, but still caught up and came first. The car was amazing in the wet that day.
-After the first chicane, the track is quite wide, good opportunity into the left hander, but people usually go wide there.
-The two turns before the final chicane arn't bad either, have a small slip.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

hehe ... all those microsoft jokes. Too bad they only lasted like 3 or 4 days. They were so funny.

Hey, someone for once agreed with me that Tilke is an idiot :D The only track that I like that hes done is Sepang. The rest are straights with a hairpin.

I thought that too, with France being Renault and Michelins home race, they would walk over the field. However, its been blistering hot over there lately, which will help the bridgestones. Ferrari know what they are doing. Light fill Massa, put him on pole, get Micheal second, he can handle the pressure from behind. Michael puts in some "schumacher" stunning laps, and takes the lead after the first round of pitstops, hopefully by then, montoya hasn't crashed in raikkonen, or raikkonen's engine hasn't blown up, so raikkonen can challenge nando. Michael, Massa and Raikkonen on the podium. That would make the championship interesting.

Speaking of F1 simulators, F1 2006 comes out on ps2 on the 27th of July. It was actually supposed to have a safety car in it this time, however, since super aguri came along, theres no more space. And you can be a race engineer as well. More career levels etc.

Final chicane, slip. Hmm ... remember Baz on Trulli in 2004. That got Flavy in a crappy mood :p

bizadfar

HSC

Cape said:
hehe ... all those microsoft jokes. Too bad they only lasted like 3 or 4 days. They were so funny.

Hey, someone for once agreed with me that Tilke is an idiot :D The only track that I like that hes done is Sepang. The rest are straights with a hairpin.

I thought that too, with France being Renault and Michelins home race, they would walk over the field. However, its been blistering hot over there lately, which will help the bridgestones. Ferrari know what they are doing. Light fill Massa, put him on pole, get Micheal second, he can handle the pressure from behind. Michael puts in some "schumacher" stunning laps, and takes the lead after the first round of pitstops, hopefully by then, montoya hasn't crashed in raikkonen, or raikkonen's engine hasn't blown up, so raikkonen can challenge nando. Michael, Massa and Raikkonen on the podium. That would make the championship interesting.

Speaking of F1 simulators, F1 2006 comes out on ps2 on the 27th of July. It was actually supposed to have a safety car in it this time, however, since super aguri came along, theres no more space. And you can be a race engineer as well. More career levels etc.

Final chicane, slip. Hmm ... remember Baz on Trulli in 2004. That got Flavy in a crappy mood :p
Hahah, Cape trying to remember a bit of 2002 there? Barrichello and Schumacher would turn up on raceday and beat P3 by like half a minute, and a minute if they pushed the final laps. Barichello use to get on Pole, Michael use to make a buffer, then put in fast laps to catch Barichello and eventually pass or jump(on pits) him. But getting Massa on pole will probably ensure a good ferrari finish.

Trulli is a bit of a blocker. Getting greedy. Great qualifier, overall good driver but greedy. Was that incident on France or Spa? . Montoya on him at spa 2004, he gave no room! He did the same thing to Schumacher, and Michael is smart enough to think "I'm either out of this race with no points and a DNF or i"ll lose 1-2 points", albeit Michael does NOT make it easy for them. And that's on montoya. You don't give room to the columbian, and you're in trouble. Shame his under-acheived at Mclaren, i've really enjoyed watching him in 2001, 2002, 2003, and parts of 2004. Unlucky in 2005 with broken driveshafts and driver errors, and got a bit hot headed like in spa, japan, and ruined a for sure victory in Hungry with driveshaft failure. I think the best race he had at Mclaren would've been Monza and Silverstone. Monza he had to pit again(lose about 20-25sec on monza) i think and still won by 4sec. Monza also happens to be where ALonso got up himself even more in 2005. "if there were more laps, I would've won." SIlverstone he was struggling in practice with the MP4-20, qualified 3rd and got P1 by a trademark pass on Alonso. That pass sure takes great confidence.

About F1 2006. Lucky you, i have to wait till 2007 for an official F1 game on PC(that is if Sony drops the rights and EA or something gains them. Hopefully ISI or SimBin gets it)

So far i'm still enjoying F1C 99-02(developed by ISI and published by EA) with RH2005 addon. After playing for a while, i feel it's a bit distant from the real thing.(wet/intermediate tyres really hard to setup for, ie at nurbs i was .8 off the pole, my fronts had no grip at all. I had great start in that race though). But who gets it 100% right?

Rfactor (developed and published by ISI) has safety car feature too. But there is a bug. If a car is flipped on the road, and you tweak files to have the wrecked car on the road longer than the general laptime, cars under safety car will not really slowdown. When you slowdown to avoid the crash, following cars will bump or crash right into you lol. Who cares though, that's single player (even though i heard AI in these new games are really competitve and will fight for position unlike wimpy in F1C)

Rfactor is great, RH team has already started porting RH2005 and developing RH2006 for it. Too bad i have to wait till after HSC to play it. I heard the available setup options will be larger. Possibly F1C: RH05 setups can be converted to comply with it, while physics are similar/same. Changing weather can be pre-programmed I think. In our league, the heats are setout in timezones then collected to reduce delay and timing troubles (ie 8pm here, is what? 6am in Europe?), and changing weather is totally random(unfair for particular timezones/races). So we either have wet races or dry races, which makes wet weather racing hell after 15 or so laps.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Yeah, I am thinking back to the good old days of Ferrari domination. I miss it :( Renault just don't have the same attitude and passion for motorsport that Ferrari have. Flavio is just a business man. And Alonso has turned very very arrogant. Alonso thinks that next year Mclaren will have the best car, I'd place $50 saying that they will have a crap car. Look at the amount of people they have lost. Michael needs to give Nando a good whipping, and teach him to respect the elders :D

Michael, unlike other drivers isn't afraid to go onto the grass. Canada proved this. When him a montoya argued for position, he went on the grass, knowing he could make the position back up. While Nico (although I'll credit him for being a rookie) was determined.

Trulli is greedy. Atleast hes won more races than Button :rofl: It was France when Baz took him on the final chicane, on the final lap. Trulli is at toyota for the money, and the fact they can use him for marketing because he qualifies on bloody fumes!

I don't think Massa is quite at the level to verse Alonso one on one. Michael can. Thats why Ferrari need massa out in front, running away.

bizadfar

HSC

Cape said:
Yeah, I am thinking back to the good old days of Ferrari domination. I miss it :( Renault just don't have the same attitude and passion for motorsport that Ferrari have. Flavio is just a business man. And Alonso has turned very very arrogant. Alonso thinks that next year Mclaren will have the best car, I'd place $50 saying that they will have a crap car. Look at the amount of people they have lost. Michael needs to give Nando a good whipping, and teach him to respect the elders :D

Michael, unlike other drivers isn't afraid to go onto the grass. Canada proved this. When him a montoya argued for position, he went on the grass, knowing he could make the position back up. While Nico (although I'll credit him for being a rookie) was determined.

Trulli is greedy. Atleast hes won more races than Button :rofl: It was France when Baz took him on the final chicane, on the final lap. Trulli is at toyota for the money, and the fact they can use him for marketing because he qualifies on bloody fumes!

I don't think Massa is quite at the level to verse Alonso one on one. Michael can. Thats why Ferrari need massa out in front, running away.

Well it also depends on practice. If renault turn out to be faster(probably not, but assess the risks and calculate). Ferrari will have to go slightly lighter and get a 1-2 on the starting grid. no matter if they heavy or what. They have to let one go 100% pounding away fastest laps, and the other slowing down the field and causing a train to create a comfortable buffer. Whoever has this job, should consider gambling with scrubbed or used tyres. When pitstops come round, put in some thunderous laps on new tyes and create a comfortable 1-2 finish. Swap leaders if need be, and conserve the engine. Is P1 on the outside? Whoever is on P1, he has to stay there and not swipe accross to defend. Can't afford to get Alonso going around the outside and getting the inside on Estoril.

Alternatively, Michael can do what his best at - thunderous inlaps and outlaps to jump positions on pitstops. Most people do not see it much, but it's a large part of his success over the last 12-15years. Qualify P2 behind Alonso or something and then jump him, if not capable of pole. This way he will only get 2 points from Alonso's lead. So I agree Cape, we seriously need some 1-2s from Ferrari, and Mclaren lifting there game and competing with Renault. Another race like Hungry 2005 would be nice (ie brake your FW Alonso, and don't snap your driveshaft montoya) I'm confident they can do it on certain tracks. Montoya is also a great friend of Alonso, so... Kimi's the only who can do it. Sato do what your best at, block alonso and possibly take him out. Say your brakes failed or something. I wonder if you can get away with that. It would be odd to have brake failure on France, but nevertheless... do it! lol
Also at HUngry, i bet that will be an easy win for Michael. He was fast in 2005 with a shoddy tyre/car. His a complete nut at that track. He gets pole, it's all over for Alonso at hungry.

They have 20more hp, so it will be difficult to for renault to pass on the hairpins after the straights.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

bizadfar said:
Well it also depends on practice. If renault turn out to be faster(probably not, but assess the risks and calculate). Ferrari will have to go slightly lighter and get a 1-2 on the starting grid. no matter if they heavy or what. They have to let one go 100% pounding away fastest laps, and the other slowing down the field and causing a train to create a comfortable buffer. Whoever has this job, should consider gambling with scrubbed or used tyres. When pitstops come round, put in some thunderous laps on new tyes and create a comfortable 1-2 finish. Swap leaders if need be, and conserve the engine. Is P1 on the outside? Whoever is on P1, he has to stay there and not swipe accross to defend. Can't afford to get Alonso going around the outside and getting the inside on Estoril.

Alternatively, Michael can do what his best at - thunderous inlaps and outlaps to jump positions on pitstops. Most people do not see it much, but it's a large part of his success over the last 12-15years. Qualify P2 behind Alonso or something and then jump him, if not capable of pole. This way he will only get 2 points from Alonso's lead. So I agree Cape, we seriously need some 1-2s from Ferrari, and Mclaren lifting there game and competing with Renault. Another race like Hungry 2005 would be nice (ie brake your FW Alonso, and don't snap your driveshaft montoya) I'm confident they can do it on certain tracks. Montoya is also a great friend of Alonso, so... Kimi's the only who can do it. Sato do what your best at, block alonso and possibly take him out. Say your brakes failed or something. I wonder if you can get away with that. It would be odd to have brake failure on France, but nevertheless... do it! lol
Also at HUngry, i bet that will be an easy win for Michael. He was fast in 2005 with a shoddy tyre/car. His a complete nut at that track. He gets pole, it's all over for Alonso at hungry.

They have 20more hp, so it will be difficult to for renault to pass on the hairpins after the straights.
Well, we now have lost Montoya as De la Rosa replaces him for the rest of the season.

Do you remember France 2004? Alonso was on target to win the race, however Ferrari / MS pulled a fantastic 4 stop strategy off. It can only be done at France, as its the shortest pit lane in the calender. Possible 3 stop strategy for teams? Toyota will probably do it. Short fill massa, but a few more laps in for michael. Ferrari also always have more "green" tyres left than renault during a race, which gives them an advantage, except the bridgestones do suffer on the first lap. With track temperature expected on race day to be about 50 degrees, much like Bahrain and Malayisa, it should suit Ferrari / bridgestone.

Mclaren always run heavy. They would have taken more points off Alonso at Indy, if it wasn't for montoya. Don't count Kimi out, unless his engine blows.

If Ralfie or Trulli can qualify light and hold everyone up, it might work as well, or Ralfie can smash nando's wing off again.

Remember though, renault have fantastic torque coming out of a corner. Ferrari have had the straight line speed all season to thrash renault.

If we fail to outscore alonso at France, then the championship is basically over :(

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC

great, jpm gone
means he's no longer a championship contender
back to a 1 horse race

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Grizzly said:
great, jpm gone
means he's no longer a championship contender
back to a 1 horse race
Other than 2003, when has JPM ever been a championship contender? He reminds me too much of Sato.

1 horse race, sweetie, its a prancing horse ;)

bizadfar

HSC

His been fine from 2001-2005. Little bit of a hot head. But 2006, was truly dissapointing. I bet he didn't give a shit anymore. Since Mclarens focus on Kimi is greater than Williams Preference on Ralf over Montoya.

There you have it guys, Ferrari 1-2. Mass 2nd, Michael 1st. Massa will be under alot of pressure. Michael has to push very hard from the second the lights go out. The smallest buffer could decide this race.

Looks like BMW saubers "Williams 2004 approach" didn't work. 15km/h slower in the traps if i recall correctly.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Hell yeah!! This is the Ferrari is missed for a year. Second race in a row 1 and 2 on the grid :D

Michelins are suffering because the track temp is hotter than what was forecasted. Which would explain why theres so many bridgestone cars in the top 10. Bridgestones work the best in very hot conditions :D

Red wash tomorrow! FA running lighter than Ferrari's. Toyotas and Maccas could spoil FA's party too. Nando in damage control.

ohdato

HSC

If this continues and Massa finishes good, Its only gonna help him come seasons end...there is too much talk of him getting binned to test driver.

Williams for a mid pack surge and grab a podium with, the front runners clearing each other out.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

I've changed my mind. Kimi can go to renault for all I care. I love Massa. Such the team player. Qualifying second. Acting like a rear gunner. If Michael wins France, I think he can take the WDC.

Those wings on the BMW, I'm surprised they aren't banned. I call them bunny ears :p

ohdato

HSC

Yeah I laughed and looked at it with sus eyes, then read the tech article on f1.com
and it has legit reasons for being there...and I thought the mclaren (now with BMW as well) wings up top were extreme.

bizadfar

HSC

The MP4-20 had those wings on the side of the airbox and is unargueably the best car in 2005.

Williams has no chance. Toyota will probably beat them, even if running light.

This could come into play very well. Massa just has to watch Alonso on the way the Adelaide and Lycce. That's like the only place you can really have a go and make a move. On the rare occasion i want to see Renault's engine blow. Hot air from the back of that ferrari, and Alonso trying desperately(ie. turn revs up) to pass hehe.

Massa holding up Alonso should effectively bring Jarno in hopefully. Especially as a few laps pass by. I bet Massa should take some wing off, to be a bit safer.

I tell you what, France is hell hard behind another car. Just imagine the wet....

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

I'm thinking JV and Heidfeld may have a chain gun in the car. Aim ... shoot! The wings look like something you use in a video shooting game.

Alonso is too chicken to have a go at Massa. Massa is a very hard driver to overtake, and Alonso doesn't want a DNF and MS scoring 10 points. He'd start shitting himself then. Hopefully Trulli gets infront of Nando and MS and FA run away with it. Kimi comes into the game later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)