The F1 Thread (2 Viewers)

ohdato

HSC
re: The Official F1 Thread

I'm loving the MP4....I mean Red Bull. Its totally got the Newey touch.
Tis going to be a decent one for Webber, even bigger expectations and
he'll be too keen after 06.

Reno is a totally billboard for ING, with the orange colour included.

The one to watch this season no doubt will be Kubica in the BMW......

bizadfar

HSC

Honestly.. Kubica is a bit overrated. That podium for him in Monza was lucky. Heidfield would've got it, but he was penalised (drive through). In Hungry he showed his inexperience (but also his determination to fight back after spins) by making quite a few mistakes.

ohdato

HSC

He does alot better than the rest of the newbies. He is a aggresive but that comes with being new and so was Massa at Sauber.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC

no one has said much about bmw's chances, and think their quite high. well in comparison to rbr who have been talking themselves up.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

I give the new Williams a resounding 'meh'. Nothing spectacular on the outside, but given that all their woes were internal last year, I wasn't expecting anything stellar in terms of design.

Spyker will be unveiled on the 5th and Super Aguri a week before the season opener in Melbourne. The only other launch will be Honda revealing their new sponsor. No idea as to when that will be, but it's probably the most interesting event to come before the race.

ohdato

HSC

Orange Juice said:
no one has said much about bmw's chances, and think their quite high. well in comparison to rbr who have been talking themselves up.
Within reason they have blown so much $$$ to get good personell including
exprienced drivers.

Where BMW hasn't done much change or made it obvious, it still has drivers
carried over from last year.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Shameless plug, I know. But oh well: http://webberwins.proboards82.com/index.cgi you guys should join. And its not all about Webber either :)

I think Kubica may hit a second year slump; he was only good at Monza because of the massive advantage BMW had. Although give him a semi wet track and he'll do exactly the same as Massa; total the car.

RBR haven't exactly been promising the world. Infact they've been very humble in not expecting too much. Don't forget the RB3 is a revolution not an evolution like all the other cars.

And williams, I hope they have worked out their internal issues. A team like that shouldn't be where they were last year :(

As for Honda; still rumours that they are going green to promote their environmental stuff. It would be nice to see green back in the grid :D

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC

anyone up for virtual f1 again this year? i promise ill try harder this time round

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Well, our favourite architect, Hermann Tilke is back. Mr. E announced that Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates, will be hosting its own Grand Prix in 2009 at a shindig in the capital that was a precursor to the season not unlike the one held in London last year (or the year before). Tilke's track will be built on a man-made island just off the coast (the UAE being short on space). No word as to whether it will be a road circuit like the proposed South Korean round (I can't picture them building an island and a circuit in two years), but it seems he's expanded his design a little. As usual there's the stupidly-long-straight-followed-by-agonisingly-tight-corner (in this case it's a full 180-degree hairpin, but that may be the corner leading onto the straight as opposed to coming off it), but his latest idea seems to be the running of the track through a marina. The South Korean venue looks to be a semi-permanent, semi-road circuit (which will be interesting), with the road section running through the roads along the harbour. The newly-announced Abu Dhabi track seems to follow this line of thought in the lower half of the circuit (images can be seen at www.Formula1.com) with the back straight being Tilke's Bloody Mile. However, Abu Dhabi is set for 2009 whereas Korea won't be hosting a round until 2010.

Which begs the question: with two new circuits announced over the next three years, Spa restarting their round this year and plenty of other countries looking to enter the fray - I recall reading that Boratstan (or Kazakhstan as they prefer to be called) was looking at building an F1-standard circuit - several countries are likely to lose their events. Indy has been all but written off as a lost cause, but is still in the championship. Hopefully we won't be losing our round the way we did the rally.

bizadfar

HSC

Im shocked with the Rb3.

I saw on f1.com Newey chose a twin keel suspension? what... the ... fuck...? His been developing zero keel for almost half a decade at Mclaren then suddenly the switch to twin?

And to strengthen that, both Webber and Coulthard said the car lacks aero grip and struggles to use the new tyres. They go out for a 20lap stint, and they look like new LOL. Damn twin keel.

And im starting to think the F2007 is not so good as it was hyped. The longer wheelbase is killing the car! They are doing a 1998 all over again.
Longer wheelbase requires a longer chassis right? To keep the stiffness and rigidity, that adds weight and they said themselves: TEN KILOGRAMS.
Over the development of F248, they reduced it by 1kg and that was a great breakthrough. Now adding 10kg due to a stiffer chassis required for the longer wheelbase seems like they dropped the ball. Rumours of cooling problems too, and Mr Stepney isnt all that happy(joined ferrari in 1992, says he is not comfortable with the personell changes and would be willing to look at offers or rejoin in 2008 like Brawn.)

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Cape said:
I think Kubica may hit a second year slump; he was only good at Monza because of the massive advantage BMW had. Although give him a semi wet track and he'll do exactly the same as Massa; total the car.
I've got the unofficial timing sheets for two days of testing at Jerez, courtesy of the circuit's offical website:

Leading times (February 6) - Jerez:

1. Pedro de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes 1min 20.001secs 108 laps
2. Alex Wurz Williams-Toyota 1min 20.036secs 72 laps
3. Robert Kubica BMW Sauber-BMW 1min 20.159secs 46 laps
4. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1min 20.233secs 111 laps
5. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari-Ferrari 1min 20.245secs 86 laps
6. Ralf Schumacher Toyota-Toyota 1min 20.254secs 55 laps
7. Jenson Button Honda-Honda 1min 20.371secs 99 laps
8. Franck Montagny Toyota-Toyota 1min 20.409secs 46 laps
9. Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota 1min 20.525secs 62 laps
10. Luca Badoer Ferrari-Ferrari 1min 20.666secs 62 laps
11. Sebastian Vettel BMW Sauber-BMW 1min 20.715secs 51 laps
12. David Coulthard Red Bull-Renault 1min 21.021secs 48 laps
13. Nelson Piquet Jr Renault-Renault 1min 21.264secs 117 laps
14. Ricardo Zonta Renault-Renault 1min 21.392secs 67 laps
15. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1min 21.858secs 27 laps
16. Christian Klien Honda-Honda 1min 22.083secs 35 laps

Day 2:

1 F. Massa Ferrari Bridgestone 01:19.821 109
2 L. Hamilton McLaren Bridgestone 01:19.839 96
3 R. Kubica BMW Bridgestone 01:20.046 101
4 F. Alonso McLaren Bridgestone 01:20.068 46
5 K. Räikkönen Ferrari Bridgestone 01:20.070 76
6 N. Piquet jr. Renault Bridgestone 01:20.070 76
7 A. Wurz Williams Bridgestone 01:20.132 78
8 N. Rosberg Williams Bridgestone 01:20.143 66
9 R. Schumacher Toyota Bridgestone 01:20.604 59
10 M. Webber Red Bull Bridgestone 01:20.629 36
11 D. Coulthard Red Bull Bridgestone 01:20.702 70
12 N. Heidfeld BMW Bridgestone 01:20.710 80
13 J. Button Honda Bridgestone 01:20.751 100
14 R. Zonta Renault Bridgestone 01:20.767 86
15 J. Trulli Toyota Bridgestone 01:20.898 80
16 M. Andretti Honda Bridgestone 01:22.151 74

ohdato

HSC

Had a funny chat last night with a mate of mine who was privy to that test.

So the car turns up in Spain with the normal entourage of propellor heads in tow. Car gets put on track and immediately as no grip whatsoever. Mechanics dutifully report that tyre temp is non existent. Delegation of propellor heads corners tyre tech guy and proceed to belt him over the head with their pocket protectors.

Repeat this cycle for a couple of days.

Finally, a couple of crafty old race engineers and mechanics take to the "blades" that make up the spring system with a grinder (really!!) and took out what they approximated to be half the spring rate.

Driver instantly reports that the car has a load more grip!

Crew reply to bring it straight in as they don't know how long the bar will hold out in it's anorexic state.

Propellor heads retire to the mobile home to contemplate where they went wrong.

Another day in the life of a test mechanic............[/QUOTE]

Taken from another forum in relation to the RB3 lack of tyre heat and grip, seems the gingerbeers havent been to the school of bush mechanics.
A rather simple explaination to the problem....to stiff/no grip half spring rates and try again.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

OJ - Do I must remind you who absolutely kicked your asses last year in virtual F1? :D

A GP in Abu Dhabi. Hmm, which European round is next on the chopping board? Imola / Silverstone / France / Monza / Hockenheim or Nurburgring completely gone?
Notice in all the pictures that there is tabacoo advertising, something that isn't permitted in Europe anymore. And don't worry, we won't be loosing our round. Ron Walker is like bestest buddies with Mr E.
Mr E wants a 20 race calender, which I think is way too much. Teams struggled in 2005 with 19 rounds.

Now jas, you of all people should know testing is testing and one can't read heavily into the times. Who was to say that, that time by Kubica wasn't set on a qualifying like simulation?

RB3 seems to be improving; last test was on the pace of Massa in the F248 (even if it was showboating, but the post test articles tend to show that they were focusing on long runs); and got a decent amount of laps during the day. The Bahrain test should tell us all where everyone is, despite only 8 teams going.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

I think he's got what it takes.

Also, haven't seen much Sato-love from you lately in accordance with our deal from way back when. Remember, you need to announce your love for him at every opportunity and then throw a dinner party at your place. Actually, I've come up with a name for it just now Thanksatogiving. Now all you need to do is find a turkey.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

I'm not convinced by him yet.

Sato 2007 WDC :rolleyes:
Someone just shoot me now and put me out of my misery :mad1:

I suppose you want me to be wearing a Sato shirt when I go to the GP too???

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Cape said:
I'm not convinced by him yet.

Sato 2007 WDC :rolleyes:
Someone just shoot me now and put me out of my misery :mad1:

I suppose you want me to be wearing a Sato shirt when I go to the GP too???
Well ... it would be nice.

And be a bit more convincing, or you'll be wearing Victoria's Secret Sato lingerie to the Grand Prix.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Oh hahahaha, very funny :rolleyes:

Btw - would you like anything whilst I'm down in Melbourne?

I know, I'll get you a Sato shirt :D

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

I'd like you to find a TV camera and announce your love for Sato to the world. Either that or find the man himself, get his autograph and have it made out to his bigest fan, Cat.

I know I'm not going to get either though.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Be sure to watch channel 10's fantastic coverage on Thursday, and I'll see what I can do!

And if I do get his autograph and I'll scan it and email it to you! After all, I'm going autograph hunting with some friends on Thursday. Btw - I highly doubt his biggest fan would be wearing a webber and ferrari shirt / jacket, would they ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)