• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The F1 Thread (1 Viewer)

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
re: The Official F1 Thread

:( i won't pay as much attention to F1 now. midnights.

no schumacher. he was awesome. :(

bizadfar

HSC

fuck the ferrari, look at the toyota. What a peice of shit? As soon as i saw this "A higher front wing" WTF!!!! Idiots! Looks like it has a higher centre of gravity... good luck getting the bridgestones to work well lol.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

The F2007 looks orgasmic, but there's no side-on shots!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

ObjectsInSpace said:
The F2007 looks orgasmic, but there's no side-on shots!
I agree. Quite a sexy looking car. Although those overalls are awful; but we won't go into that :p

Theres no side on shots because Ferrari released 6 photo's of the F2007. They are hiding something that is on the side, specifically the rear.

bizadfar

HSC

Cape said:
I agree. Quite a sexy looking car. Although those overalls are awful; but we won't go into that :p

Theres no side on shots because Ferrari released 6 photo's of the F2007. They are hiding something that is on the side, specifically the rear.
Been working almost 12hours a day, completely forgot about the launches for a while. Check out the interesting aero next to the radiator ducts on the F2007. Obvious changes to barge boards. I can't see much else, not close enough for me.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

The McLaren looks great as well, especially that silver and red racing strip ...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

BMW just launched their car. A yeti has replaced Heidfeld.

I still love the livery of the Mclaren; but their overalls! For a team so image driven, I'm amazed that they would design their overalls like that!

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

'Course he'd say that. He's the World Champion and the frontman for the team. Be a little worrying if he said they didn't stand a chance, eh?

Going to go check out the BMW right now ...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Thoughts?

Doesn't impress me as much as the Renault or the Ferrari.

bizadfar

HSC

Mclaren have taken a huge risk, not really a compact rear. But alot of "harmonic" aero as it nicely fuses in with the airbox. We"ll see if its a failure or not. Also the exhaust pipe feeds right onto sidepods. Might reduce power a bit having exhaust like that but increase downforce. Dont know yet. All speculative on my part. Continueing the Zero keel concept it seems, should benefit them with harder tyres this year more than last year.

Now the Renault is ingenius. Carbon rings on the rear, really really really compact rear, very effective looking sidepods. But 1 thing.. engine problem in its first shakedown. If it was engine cooling, that is really severe to their design... the sidepods caused it my bet. As soon as i look at this car i think of the 2004 Renault nose. So similar... Renault sticking with V-Keel i think

Im really hoping Ferrari is still something special, they are still working on that car, but it seems the car has been moved more to the rear?? Really tight rear packaging too. Front suspension looks like a cross between zero and twin-keel. Really interesting, never seen something like it.

On to the BMW. I must say at first sight i thought it was another "same car as last years" hardly any visual change from 2006. But you can just see the front wing has a higher nose almost like the 2004 (apart from walrus) and 2005 williams wing style. The front nose Is also sloped down(last year was more flat, like the older mclarens in 2002 etc) Continuing the zero keel concept as well.
ALso the airbox/engine cover is more sharp at the bend towards the rear (less smooth) This car also doesn't have the horns first seen on the MP4-20, so reduced downforce in corners. I bet they are really going for a low drag car.. odd. It will set really high speed traps hehe.

I take that back about the BMW, it has the horns in testing @ Jerez.

Forgot about the toyota
All i heard was the front wing was raised and centre of gravity was raised... oh my bad bad bad. You want lower centre of gravity with these tyres, and generally for more undercar downforce. Really squarish aero, hate it honestly. Raising the front wing will just cause lack of front grip

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Red Bull will be launched this Friday :)

el gwapo

HSC

bizadfar said:
Mclaren have taken a huge risk, not really a compact rear. But alot of "harmonic" aero as it nicely fuses in with the airbox. We"ll see if its a failure or not. Also the exhaust pipe feeds right onto sidepods. Might reduce power a bit having exhaust like that but increase downforce. Dont know yet. All speculative on my part. Continueing the Zero keel concept it seems, should benefit them with harder tyres this year more than last year.

Now the Renault is ingenius. Carbon rings on the rear, really really really compact rear, very effective looking sidepods. But 1 thing.. engine problem in its first shakedown. If it was engine cooling, that is really severe to their design... the sidepods caused it my bet. As soon as i look at this car i think of the 2004 Renault nose. So similar... Renault sticking with V-Keel i think

Im really hoping Ferrari is still something special, they are still working on that car, but it seems the car has been moved more to the rear?? Really tight rear packaging too. Front suspension looks like a cross between zero and twin-keel. Really interesting, never seen something like it.

On to the BMW. I must say at first sight i thought it was another "same car as last years" hardly any visual change from 2006. But you can just see the front wing has a higher nose almost like the 2004 (apart from walrus) and 2005 williams wing style. The front nose Is also sloped down(last year was more flat, like the older mclarens in 2002 etc) Continuing the zero keel concept as well.
ALso the airbox/engine cover is more sharp at the bend towards the rear (less smooth) This car also doesn't have the horns first seen on the MP4-20, so reduced downforce in corners. I bet they are really going for a low drag car.. odd. It will set really high speed traps hehe.

I take that back about the BMW, it has the horns in testing @ Jerez.

Forgot about the toyota
All i heard was the front wing was raised and centre of gravity was raised... oh my bad bad bad. You want lower centre of gravity with these tyres, and generally for more undercar downforce. Really squarish aero, hate it honestly. Raising the front wing will just cause lack of front grip
thanks for the technological insights. with my lack of that kind of knowledge i'm left to judging F1 cars to how they look aesthetically :)

interesting how it's only the mclarens that have the 'bull horns'. I remember reading an F1 racing interview saying either the other teams have overlooked it, or found it not as effective.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Brand new sexiest car on the grid launched!

Seriously, that Red Bull 3, is sexier that Mclaren and Ferrari combined :eek:

No one cares about Renaults new awful colour scheme; or the Honda breaking down on the parade lap of its launch? No? Good!

Cause that Red Bull is going to fight for podiums this year :D

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

I don't mind the Renault, I think it actually looks quite good. Actually, all of them do. McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull, all of them. All that remains to be seen is what Honda run under this year since the ban on tobacco sponsorship is coming into effect.

This is off-topic, but I don't care. Did anyone see that A1GP race in Beijing? They had a pair of straights down a dual carriageway with a haipin connecting them. It was so damn tight the drivers had to come to a near-complete standstill, work the wheel really hard, and then take off again. Most didn't make it, so qualifying was cancelled and the hairpin moved back down to the pit entry where the track was slightly wider ... but not wide enough so that they came within millimetres of the wall on the exit to the turn. Then, in the race, the South African driver spun it and blocked half the track; when the flatbed truck got out, it blocked the entire race track, forcing the safety car and the field to come to a dead halt. A1 won't be returning to the streets of Beijing; at least not those particular streets. Can't imagine a farce like that in Formula One, though that race at Indy comes close in terms of sheer stupidity.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC

Fisi's helmet just doesn't match their overalls! Glad that Renault stuck away from the red colour scheme which every team seems to be using lately.

Personally, I think that Honda looks sexy with the black livery; too bad its just their interim livery.

Now about the A1 race; I didn't watch it, because I didn't know that channel delayed motorsport (or was it on 9) were showing it at some awful hour of the morning. But I have seen the track layout; heard about it on another forum; and saw some you-tube videos of it.

I can tell you; if anything remotely similar (almost Indy like) happened in F1; I think Bernie would be having a heart attack (some might argue thats a good thing though).

bizadfar

HSC

Well ferrari have switched from single keel to zero keel. Interesting. I'm trying to remember what the F2004 used. THey should work on the F2004(susp) i reckon as the tyres back then were similar to now (2007).

Anyway, yes m8s that red bull is amazing. I really love it, it's another best looking F1 car for me (except the livery). The best looking car ever for me was the MP4-20 (im so addicted to how it looks, its shape, its livery, its engine+gearbox sound i have it all over my phone). Newey has brought the Zero keel concept with him, this car is going to be great. GREAT chance for Webber! I reckon, just hope and pray that he can grab his first *lucky* win this year! The man deserves it!

Also anyone notice the airbox, looks like its been moved back??
el gwapo said:
thanks for the technological insights. with my lack of that kind of knowledge i'm left to judging F1 cars to how they look aesthetically :)

interesting how it's only the mclarens that have the 'bull horns'. I remember reading an F1 racing interview saying either the other teams have overlooked it, or found it not as effective.
Hey, no problem m8!

I reckon those bull horns are very effective, i doubt the have a drag penalty at all. Also Newey once said that they help direct air over the rear wing greaty in turns. (more downforce)

Cape said:
I can tell you; if anything remotely similar (almost Indy like) happened in F1; I think Bernie would be having a heart attack (some might argue thats a good thing though).

Heart attack part is a GREAT thing!

Also the pussy brigade has developed a chicane at the final corner of Spain. Ok ok they ruined a nice fast corner but as a driver i guess i could feel how bad it would be behind another car there (or like ralf schumacher in 2003 - it was hard for him infront of montoya hahhaha).
BUT, why always a god damn chicane. Too simple, even more boring, more emphasis on how a car brakes. They should of used more innovation at least... God damn pussy brigade.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)