The F1 Thread (1 Viewer)

Muz4PM

HSC
re: The Official F1 Thread

Well, Heikki did it, albeit because of the misfortune of others. Massa was very very unlucky, to have the engine blow out with three laps to go, he must have been pretty angry, especially after the great race he was driving. However, if we remember back to Australia, the Ferrari engines looked vulnerable in the heat, as they were in Hungary. As soon as Kimi passed Alonso, he was able to show that there wasn't much wrong with him or the Ferrari, and after that third place is only five points behind Hamilton.

Good on Timo Glock, he drove a very good race in the Toyota. I think this proves that the Toyotas are the "best of the rest," in the field. I think they are closely followed by the Renaults who also did well last night. It seems that Piquet has grown in confidence since his first points and his first podium, so hopefully he continues to be consistant.

A pretty poor week for the BMW's who seemed to look sluggish in the race. Although Kubica was in fifth, he didn't look compedative when against Glock, so there must have been some technical issues like oversteer and he wasn't helped by getting passed by four cars during the pitstops. However, he was able to salvage a single point. Heidfeld drove alright to salvage five places to go from 15th to 10th, after his qualification lap in Q1 was blocked by Bourdais. However, his car too looked on the slower side, so there are some problems for the BMW boys to work out there.

Last edited:

F2001

HSC

Its awesome how Massa gets fired up, that was awesome balls at turn 1. He had good pace.

I don't know how he managed to blow his engine though. He didn't need to push at all, even though Heikki was taking almost a second a lap, I think he was still more than 5(?) behind.

There is rumour that Ferrari run very tight A/F (towards lean)....

Forgot to add, who smashed fastest lap again... lol
He just got to focus more on qualifying and get front rows/poles.

I believes it's quite beneficial setting up more for qualifying these days. Hope that changes next year.

Last edited:

el gwapo

HSC

Muz4PM said:
Yeah, that was awful. I hope that Hekki can upstage Lewis before the end of the season.
Who wants to be the lap dog? Certainly not Alonso :lol:
Well Alonso was a world champion who saw himself in Mclaren as a 'lap dog' to Lewis. Heikki is no world champion, though having said that he's a clear number two in terms of speed and consistency combined to Hamilton.

Anyway - Spa-Francorchamps, you beauty!

Reaffirms the belief in the paddock and with the fans that at the moment there is no better driver in the wet than Lewis Hamilton.

PS Valencia is shit.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

Meh, Hamilton just got lucky. With them both going hard in the wet on dry tires one of them was going to hit the wall eventually, just a question of who.

el gwapo

HSC

If it was Lewis who hit, many of you would've bashed him.

-----

wtf is this 25 second penalty? looks like Ferrari's friends at the stewards has struck again

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

el gwapo said:
If it was Lewis who hit, many of you would've bashed him.
It's because it's so easy to hate Lewis. He's clearly got buckets of skill. I've noticed the commentators are paying less attention to him now than they were back at the start of the season.

Bloody Kovalainen. Damn dissapointing to see that happen to Webber. Dissapointing to see Bourdais stuff up a podium spot in the final seconds of the race too. Two of my favourites. :(

skopje

HSC

25 seconds is the standard penalty given if a drive-through penalty cannot be awarded (i.e. getting penalised after the race).

Tough decision by the stewards to penalise Hamilton especially considering that he would have passed Raikkonnen anyway AND Raikkonnen took himself out of the race later on. However, Hamilton did gain an advantage by cutting the corner that he would not have had if he took it. That was Kimi's corner. He held the defensive line and Hamilton simply braked later - he was not pushed out by Kimi. If Hamilton slowed down and took the corner (probably impossible in the circumstances) he would not have been so close to Kimi who took the conventional line and came out of the corner clean. I think the stewards saw it this way but probably applied the rules way too strictly.

Hamilton is talented, but I think if any of the drivers in the field were groomed like he was for McLaren, they'd be just as good. He would struggle anywhere else.

As for the commentators, they still jizz over his every move.

ledzeppelin

HSC

I thought Lewis might come under scrutiny when I was watching the race live, the penalty was fair enough in my opinion
Even though Lewis yielded his position on the straight, he was able to move right into Kimi's slipstream, which he wouldn't have been able to do without cutting the corner

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

skopje said:
Tough decision by the stewards to penalise Hamilton especially considering that he would have passed Raikkonnen anyway AND Raikkonnen took himself out of the race later on. However, Hamilton did gain an advantage by cutting the corner that he would not have had if he took it. That was Kimi's corner. He held the defensive line and Hamilton simply braked later - he was not pushed out by Kimi. If Hamilton slowed down and took the corner (probably impossible in the circumstances) he would not have been so close to Kimi who took the conventional line and came out of the corner clean. I think the stewards saw it this way but probably applied the rules way too strictly.
On the other hand, it made for an exciting race. Mebbe formula 1 wouldn't be as dull if they just let these things happen. :D

el gwapo

HSC

ledzeppelin said:
I thought Lewis might come under scrutiny when I was watching the race live, the penalty was fair enough in my opinion
Even though Lewis yielded his position on the straight, he was able to move right into Kimi's slipstream, which he wouldn't have been able to do without cutting the corner
to be honest I wasn't jumping up in the air when Lewis overtook him in La Source, despite being a wonderfully crafted move (I did kneel to the ground in celebration when Massa blew it in Hungaroring). At first it didn't look as clear cut I thought to myself "did he give way first".

I don't know the exact ruling on the issue so I can't talk too technically on the matter. My basic understanding of the issue is that if you cut a chicane you have to surrender any advantage gained. I see it as Lewis did so, but in the small burst in the start-finish had a toe leading into La Source and outbraked Raikkonen.

Anyway just as the stewards mouth was just drying up from Massa's almost-pit disaster in Valencia they decide to suck on more Maranello wang. shame.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

More like he didn't really surrender anything an just slowed down briefly. Would he have been in a position to outbrake him if he hadn't cut the chicane? Doubt it. If Kimmi had got the win in the end I might care moar, but massa got gyped before.

F2001

HSC

Riet said:
More like he didn't really surrender anything an just slowed down briefly. Would he have been in a position to outbrake him if he hadn't cut the chicane? Doubt it. If Kimmi had got the win in the end I might care moar, but massa got gyped before.
agree, every forum ive been to and shared my opinion and read others (ie mclaren fanboys) they all say he wouldve been nose to tail on the straight anyway.... LMFAO, such blindness.

the biggest shit of this race: I lost $80 on a bet ffs.

To the person who said Lewis is better in the wet. Maybe you should read and study the races more you knob jockey. The Mclaren chassis can generate heat and retain that heat in the tyres much better. So when it starts raining, yipee!

Mika Hakkinen has said twice now, and hinted imagine if Raikkonen was still driving a Mclaren.

Last edited:

ledzeppelin

HSC

Pretty much all the other drivers on the grid have agreed Lewis deserved to be punished as well.

Anyone read LewHam's comments during the week? He seems to be trying to get every other driver on the grid to hate him.

---
Lewis Hamilton at Monza tempted his Ferrari rivals into a psychological battle of words, as the championship battle whittles down to just five races to go.

With a two point advantage over Felipe Massa, the championship leader was in defiant mood on the eve of the Italian Grand Prix weekend.

"I think Massa is on the back foot and he is the one that has to work damn hard to keep up with me," said Hamilton.

Massa spoke with less of a swagger as he also addressed the media on Thursday.

"We saw this year that you have some races where maybe Ferrari was a little bit better. You had other races where perhaps McLaren were a little bit better. It's really difficult to make a clear comment on whether we have an advantage or they have an advantage," he said.

Hamilton's strike did not end at one Ferrari driver, however, as he analysed the reasons for how he closed on world champion Kimi Raikkonen in the drizzly last laps at Spa Francorchamps a week ago.

"That's the way he drives.
If you don't have the balls to brake late, that's your problem," the Briton said, referring to Raikkonen.

"At the end of the day, in those situations, it's the driver who can feel the grip more - and put the car more on the edge - that gets past. I'm great in those conditions," Hamilton added.

Both Raikkonen and Massa, who have said Hamilton was right to have had his Belgian win taken away, did not agree.

"Everyone has an opinion but I don't see it like that," Raikkonen replied. "He had more grip and he was in a better position after he cut the corner."

Massa added: "We have seen many times this year that in the rain we lost a little bit of performance."
---

Can't wait for Massa to take the Championship this year

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

In other more pleasant news, qualifying was exciting last night. Awesome to see two of my favourites, Boudais and Webber, so high. :D

ledzeppelin

HSC

+ epic lulz at Lewis last night. He was great in those conditions, finishing 15th
Should be a great race.
Hopefully Vettel wins, that would be awesome

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

What are the excuses from the Hamilton haters this time eh? Pretty good (though rude) racing from him.

Yay for Vettel. Boo Webber (he was meant to finish higher!).

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Well, let's see ... he pretty much pushed Webber off with his overly-aggressive passing moves; likewise Glock, who he nearly sent into the gravel as well. And it's not the first time as well; he was muscling Raikkonen off the racing line - and thus off the track - in Germany as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)