The flu (1 Viewer)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Oh I had the most wonderful night last night.
My temperature hit 40, and combined with a chesty cough, a dry, sore throat and a runny nose it was insanely difficult to sleep. Woke up at 2am with searing pain in my lower chest area. It was so bad I was whimpering and crying and I went to mum's room (she's a nurse) just in case I was dying or something. It came and went a couple of times and then the nurofen kicked in. I've never felt anything like it (and I really really hope I never do again).

Temperature's back to normal tonight. It peaked at 38.5ish at dinnertime, but it's dropped right down to 36.7 now.

I hate being sick. I've missed 4 lectures, 3 tutes and 2 shifts this week.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Hope you have sleep tonight.

I have missed 6shifts this week. About $300+ amount of work :(

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
damn imagine how much alcohol you can get for $300

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Gilbert1 said:
Hope you have sleep tonight.

I have missed 6shifts this week. About $300+ amount of work :(
Ouch. My two shifts only add up to about $100. Boss doesn't like it because there aren't enough people to cover me but a) I'd make all the other staff member sick, b) Im making some lovely hacking noises that i'm sure customers would love to hear and c) until my temperature went down this afternoon i was having trouble standing up waiting for my soup to warm up, let alone for 5 hours.

It's not like I want to be sick. I would very much like to be better.

Let's us all get better. Sleeptime.

jazzmuzik

HSC
yes i have the flu right now.. hence i'm not at school..
i'm taking guardian cold and flu tablets and throat losenges. also echinecea.

Anyone got any tried and true methods, cause i'm a little desperate, most inconvenient time to get sick!!

ozbear

HSC
Hey Jazz,
I am on the same as you + lots of vitamin C and cough mixture. This flu sucks my lungs and chest have almoast packed it in. Set up for a great weekend..... NOT!!!!
hope ur feeling better soon !!!:)

jazzmuzik

HSC
ozbear said:
Hey Jazz,
I am on the same as you + lots of vitamin C and cough mixture. This flu sucks my lungs and chest have almoast packed it in. Set up for a great weekend..... NOT!!!!
hope ur feeling better soon !!!:)
Clare??? is that you? haha hey.
hope you feel better soon jazz

sanshi

colour my world
HSC
N/A
fresh squeezed orange juice a nd some eucalyptus drops

rozymisty

HSC
Vitamin c does not hlep your flu get rid of any sooner than just resting and increasing your fluids. Its been proven in a number of studies.

Its good though to have vitamin c esp with red meat and green veg, esp if your a chick coz it helps with your iron absorbson.

I still have the occasional cough but nothing much more than that.

Ah yes scary bunny, dont think you;d want to pass that around to anyone.

im glad that I got the flu earlier this year, coz last year I had it for my bday, and it was soo annoying trying not to cough half my lungs up in a 500 seat lecture theatre in the midle of an exam AND during a comedy performance that night. But all that laughing (lano and woodley :) ) cleared up my lungs a bit hehe, even though i had to sit near the exit and make a run for it halfway through. Plus if i had it a wk or two later, i wont be able to get my wisdom teeth out, and so that would haveto be put off for another 3 months coz of prac.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
jazzmuzik said:
yes i have the flu right now.. hence i'm not at school..
i'm taking guardian cold and flu tablets and throat losenges. also echinecea.

Anyone got any tried and true methods, cause i'm a little desperate, most inconvenient time to get sick!!
There's nothing that can accelerate the healing period! All you can do is relax and sleep a lot. Sure, it feels like a waste of time, but that's all you can do whilst getting better.

rozymisty

HSC
Exactly. You cant get rid of the virus any qucker than yoru immune system is getting rid of it. And dont go to the doc and get antibiotics, unless you have a yucky cough, coz antibiotics will do bugger all for it, since the flu is a virus not bacteria.

I think next year I will get the flu vaccine hehe.

And fever is acutaly good in some ways, its when it gets rather high that it is a concern, especially in kids coz you can get febrile convulsions. THe best way to treat fever is to take a panadol (or neurofen apparently) and warm sponging. Not cold coz that makes you shiver and get more side effects...sponging and panadol together are best....I learnt that through a whole semester of reseraching confusing articles on the best method...no one knows for sure.

Smart Alec

HSC
yeah i got the flu, 2 days before my trials!! im trying to study but i can barely get my head together.

... I hate Winter lol

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
bah, im getting a cold now, i can feel it...i got dropped home this morning at like 7, it was freezing, i was only wearing a singlet top and pj shorts coz i left my jacket in my friends car accidentally but thought, oh well i'll be inside the house in a sec...turned out id forgotten my key as well...so i had to wait outside in the fucking wind for nearly 2 hours waiting for mum to wake up coz trust me you do NOT wake her up for anything on sundays, not even hypothermia. now im all sniffly and shit.

will remember key next time, godammit.

Pace_T

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
bah, im getting a cold now, i can feel it...i got dropped home this morning at like 7, it was freezing, i was only wearing a singlet top and pj shorts coz i left my jacket in my friends car accidentally but thought, oh well i'll be inside the house in a sec...turned out id forgotten my key as well...so i had to wait outside in the fucking wind for nearly 2 hours waiting for mum to wake up coz trust me you do NOT wake her up for anything on sundays, not even hypothermia. now im all sniffly and shit.

will remember key next time, godammit.
omg thats soooo slack...
everyone around me at the moment is sick i really hope i dont get sick aswell. i get paranoid whenver i sneeze or have a bit of a sort throat

DreamsReloaded

HSC
N/A
Ugh, I so know the feeling. I have the worst immune system in Australia, and I was praying that I wouldn't get the flu, but everybody at school has it now. Two days at school was enough to get me sick. Ugh. And now I'll probably have it for another week or two.

If I get sick during AST time, I'm going to scream.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I went and got antibiotics to get rid of the gross cough I've had. I feel much better today and I'll certainly venture into uni tomorrow (because if I don't I'll fail and stuff).

I'm almost over it. Hurrah!

Tacgnol

HSC
Tacgnol doesn't get sick.

Sudafed helps make me feel better

CieL

HSC
I think I'm really sick with something!

Was already unwell with a dry throat.. so coughing, sneezing, and runny nose.. worked too hard yesterday.. came home.. my whole body was aching, esp my back and legs.. head was throbbing..

I think I slept and got a fever because when I woke up 2hrs later my whole body was drenched in sweat.. then I couldnt tell whether it was hot or cold.. no appetite.. headspins.. coughing until I start to throw up or get cramps..

Don't think I've ever felt this crap in my life..

rozymisty

HSC
Here is some more informaton I got sent about the myth that Vitamin C helps get rid of the flu and colds. The website it is at is a well respected medical journal that compares different studies against each other andc conducts trials. So it is reliable information. Not to say though dont stop taking Vitamin C coz you do need it for normal diet.

The Collaboration's (http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab000980.html) consumer summary of the results of this study states that: Thirty trials involving 11,350 participants suggest that regular ingestion of vitamin C has no effect on common cold incidence in the ordinary population. It reduced the duration and severity of common cold symptoms slightly, although the magnitude of the effect was so small its clinical usefulness is doubtful. Nevertheless, in six trials with participants exposed to short periods of extreme physical or cold stress or both (including marathon runners and skiers), vitamin C reduced the common cold risk by half.

Trials of high doses of vitamin C administered therapeutically (starting after the onset of symptoms) showed no consistent effect on either duration or severity of symptoms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)