The Football Thread (2 Viewers)

sk1001

HSC
Re: The Official A-League Thread.

Dunno bout that. If I recall correctly, SFC was $6mill in debt at the end of the season even with sponsorship from Lantana boy...

You as a Sydney FC fan, have Lowy to thank....

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC

sk1001 said:
Dunno bout that. If I recall correctly, SFC was $6mill in debt at the end of the season even with sponsorship from Lantana boy...

You as a Sydney FC fan, have Lowy to thank....
I think you'll find that the debt was also wiped as a result of the new FFA TV Deal with Fox Sports.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

oh hey cool. you support dragons. yay.

anyway. back to the topic of the a league.

SYDNEY - 3
QUEENSLAND - 0

gg.

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC

Qld just imploded after Gibson got sent off. Three wins on the trot now, playing some good football while we're at it. Dissapointing crowd though.

Any CCM this weekend, I'm heading up to Gosford. Are many others going?

HSC

I would've loved to head down to Gosford to see Romario in the flesh. *sigh* Why can't he come to Sydney damnit.

After tonights loss against CC, I'm not too sure about him reaching his career goal though, doesn't look too fit. Oh well, I guess this is just the first game. Lets see how he copes in the upcoming games.

Does anyone know what will he be doing once he finishes the temp contract? Back to miami?

HSC

hey sweet_as, which site did u go to 2 get those supporter bars in ur sig?

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

probably. he needs to get 1000 goals.
how did he miss.
saw it on the world game.

a maldini? :p

sk1001

HSC

meh sydney....

sk1001

HSC

SYDNEY SCUM AT IT AGAIN??

Cap scandal rocking Sydney
By David Lewis
December 14, 2006

SYDNEY FC could face an uphill fight to qualify for the A-League play-offs after it was revealed last night the club is likely to be docked points for alleged salary cap breaches over the contract of striker David Zdrilic.

The defending champion is also likely to be fined over the apparent irregularities, which centre around an invoice for $50,000 from Zdrilic family company Nesrock for services supposedly rendered by Sydney player agent Alan McGrouther.

That helped boost Zdrilic's wages to $175,000 and contributed to Sydney breaking last season's $1.5 million cap. If found guilty, it will be Sydney's second breach of player payment rules.

McGrouther's company - AMG Sports Consultants - was named on the invoice as providing "promotional services" in a letter from Nesrock to then Sydney chief executive Andy Harper. The letter was also sighted by former Sydney accountant and club shareholder Michael Crismale. Walter Bugno was then club chairman but neither he, Harper nor Crismale are in anyway implicated in the investigation.

The Daily Telegraph has seen both the invoice and the letter, which date back to early last year when the club was putting together its squad for the inaugural A-League season.

It's believed the plot to dodge the cap emanated from a former powerbroker at Sydney FC, whose identity is known by The Daily Telegraph but cannot be revealed for legal reasons.

Second-placed Sydney, who faces Perth Glory at Aussie Stadium tonight, is two points ahead of a chasing pack of three clubs and have no margin for error with three of its final four league games away from home.

McGrouther, angered by the use of his name to justify a portion of Zdrilic's salary, is not implicated in the investigation and has been debriefed by Football Federation Australia.

Sydney chairman Edmund Capon and chief executive George Perry pleaded the club's case in a meeting with FFA head of operations Matt Carroll yesterday but Carroll offered few words of encouragement, saying: "It's a close race at the top and I can understand why Sydney should be nervous (about being stripped of more than just one point)."

A finding could be handed down by the board before the end of the week.

Sydney is certain to be docked at least one point, having been fined $45,000 for a previous player-payment breach in which a one-point suspended penalty was part of the punishment.

"To be fair to Sydney they have been very co-operative in helping to clean up these lingering issues," added Carroll, who has also quizzed Zdrilic and his father Sam - who signed the letter to Harper - as part of his probe. McGrouther is perturbed at being used as a pawn in a pay game aimed at boosting a player's salary, explaining: "I'm horrified by this. I have never represented David Zdrilic or been involved in any promotions with him. "The money has never come anywhere near my company. It's a case of a club trying to beat the salary cap.

"This is obviously not ethical and is another example of how murky things can get because the salary cap is far too low. The first I heard of it was when the FFA approached me to explain what I knew after the invoice came to light."

FFA chairman Frank Lowy, whose son David has a controlling interest in Sydney FC, will take no part in the decision process. It's believed the Zdrilic affair came to light after the player's representatives approached the PFA to seek unclaimed match bonuses.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

zdrillic?
pfft omg.
he sucks though. oh wellll.

it's only the a league.

sk1001

HSC

timlay said:
zdrillic?
pfft omg.
he sucks though. oh wellll.

it's only the a league.
typical sydney response....

sk1001

HSC

So Melbourne has won the league and Sydney FC has breached salary cap rules once more....

Sydney FC (part-time) fans, who are ya?
Not a murmur from you lot.....

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

doubt anyone really cares.

sk1001

HSC

part time fans........

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

glad to see people like you dedicate your whole life to the a league.

good on you!

sk1001

HSC

You only sing when your winning......

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

nah. i sing all the time. :)

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

aiya yes la!

oh btw how'd you go in HSC? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)