The Football Thread (2 Viewers)

sk1001

HSC
Re: The Official A-League Thread.

Soccer on rise as AFL treads water(the age)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like it or lump it Australia loves its football.

AUSTRALIAN children typically begin their sporting life in the swimming pool. But once they have learned to swim, soccer is now the main sport of Australia's young — although certainly not Victoria's.

A Bureau of Statistics survey of children's sports shows more Australian children are taking swimming lessons — numbers up almost 40 per cent in the past nine years to 463,000.

But while 25 per cent of children aged five to eight took swimming lessons this year, only 8 per cent of those aged 12 to 14 are still training in the pool. By then, soccer is king, especially for boys, and its lead is widening.

This year, 269,000 Australian boys aged five to 14 played in soccer competitions out of school, up from 209,000 nine years ago. By contrast, the number playing Australian rules grew only slightly to 189,000, and the three rugby codes — league, union and touch — had 182,000 between them.

Soccer is making even faster inroads among girls. It is now the fourth-biggest girls' sport in Australia, after swimming, netball and tennis. This year, 83,000 girls played in soccer competitions, almost half of them in NSW.

For boys, soccer dominates the traditional rugby lands — NSW, Queensland and the ACT. They have more than half of Australia's population, but almost three-quarters of its junior soccer players.Soccer is making serious inroads in traditional Australian rules territory. It has now overtaken Australian rules in Tasmania and the Northern Territory, and is moving up to challenge it in South Australia.The exception is Victoria. This year, 83,000 boys played Australian rules, almost three times as many as the 30,000 playing soccer. Nine years ago the numbers were 79,000 and 20,000 respectively.

Australian rules has made up some ground in rugby land. The bureau found the number of children playing the code in NSW had risen from 11,000 to 17,500 since 1997, and there had been an almost identical rise in Queensland.The number of boys playing the game in WA and South Australia is falling.

But while all the football codes are growing overall, cricket is losing ground. The number of boys playing the sleepy game has decreased from 165,000 to 138,000 in the past nine years, with most of this fall in NSW and Queensland.

It might not be a coincidence that the fastest-growing sport, among boys and girls alike, is the fast-moving indoor soccer or futsal, a summer game here. In nine years, the number of boys playing futsal has almost doubled to 45,000, while the number of girls playing has almost trebled to 14,000.

Basketball and netball have seen their numbers reduced slightly in recent years, although netball is by far the most popular sport for girls after swimming.

Tennis has basically maintained its numbers, but the number of children taking part in organised athletics has dropped from 111,000 to 77,500.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/soccer...500010371.html

Wuddie, where are you mate?

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

lol cricket.

yawn.

D

Dr. Futebol

The underdogs always win, dont you watch sports movies?
Futebol will be no1 in aus someday. In 5, 10 or 20 years, maybe. It WILL happen when OUR top players dont leave to play overseas but stay and compete here, and to complement this bring in some TOP quality(not old has-beens) international players.
When this happens, which could be anytime, Futbol will rule, and afl, maybe not nrl, will be extinct.

Kujah

HSC
N/A

How can you say that about AFL? Afl rocks.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

aw. Sydney suffer shock lost.

:( melbourne suffer shock draw.

how shocking! :( meh.

i like all the sports.. *Shrugs* well i go for swannies and dragons. and like playing soccer. :D and the EPL ...

oh btw dr futebol, is futbol football? or is it some random game. like futsal?

Kujah

HSC
N/A

OMFG. Sydney FC lost to NZ 1-0.

sk1001

HSC

Kujah said:
OMFG. Sydney FC lost to NZ 1-0.
O RLY? I pity that club for its Bold and the Beautiful inspired drama....

Where are those SFC fans that were here just a couple pages back?

D

Dr. Futebol

i go 4 sydney, and it was no shock. I was at the game, and my exact words were, i bet we'll lose today.
Our team is slow and ridiculously un creative. Ufuk Talay is the worst player in the world, and our attack is worse than New Zealands.

sk1001

HSC

good luck making the finals.

D

Dr. Futebol

Well i think they will limp into the finals, but they might as well field a youth team coz there there not gonna win. Oh wait, what youth players? Their best young player is Milligan and hes like 23.

sk1001

HSC

I don't think you follow the A-League closely...

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

i think you should shut up and let other people have their say.... soccer, what a joke, got people like you following it

D

Dr. Futebol

sk1001 said:
I don't think you follow the A-League closely...
I had a season pass last yr, even went during HSC time, but this season I luckily didnt get a season pass. Maybe be I watch sydney fc too closely, and I can see what a joke they are now. They have spent all their money on a dud coach when ian crook would have done the same job less 600K per year, which would have saved some money to buy some decent attackers.
Who honestly thinks david zdrilic or talay deserve to get paid money for playing the way they do.

sk1001

HSC

Dr. Futebol said:
I had a season pass last yr, even went during HSC time, but this season I luckily didnt get a season pass. Maybe be I watch sydney fc too closely, and I can see what a joke they are now. They have spent all their money on a dud coach when ian crook would have done the same job less 600K per year, which would have saved some money to buy some decent attackers.
Who honestly thinks david zdrilic or talay deserve to get paid money for playing the way they do.
Sydney are retarded fullstop. They think they need this gimmicky high profile marquee BS. Oh we have a Hollywood shareholder, let's get an international coach (one who was pwned back in 86 by marradonna albeit)!

Sydney could learn a lesson from Melbourne. Smart recruiting and young Australian players....

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

did you have a cry last year? poor thing.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

sk1001 said:
Sydney are retarded fullstop. They think they need this gimmicky high profile marquee BS. Oh we have a Hollywood shareholder, let's get an international coach (one who was pwned back in 86 by marradonna albeit)!

Sydney could learn a lesson from Melbourne. Smart recruiting and young Australian players....
and Brazilians :|

D

Dr. Futebol

I think anything sydney does differently will be better than what they have been doing before.
But seriously if I circulate a petition to have the contracts of sasho petrovski, david zdrilic and ufuk talay terminated, will you people sign?
If any one of them wear the shirt of sydney next season I will start supporting central coast.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

hahaaha. 2-1 ..

go queensland. :)

martin88

HSC
N/A

Dr. Futebol said:
I think anything sydney does differently will be better than what they have been doing before.
But seriously if I circulate a petition to have the contracts of sasho petrovski, david zdrilic and ufuk talay terminated, will you people sign?
If any one of them wear the shirt of sydney next season I will start supporting central coast.
bye bye bye

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)