The Football Thread (1 Viewer)

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
Re: The Official A-League Thread.

haha... whatever that is.. how'd you do? *Shrugs*

haha. :p aww. this thread is dying. :) its only you and me.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

who gives a shit, soccer in aust just doesnt work

it used to be called soccer, and then at world cup it was called football, after we've lost it, its called soccer again... therefore, WE DONT CARE ABOUT A-LEAGUE

martin88

HSC
N/A

wuddie said:

it used to be called soccer, and then at world cup it was called football, after we've lost it, its called soccer again... therefore, WE DONT CARE ABOUT A-LEAGUE
the 50000 people at telstra dome a couple of weeks ago i think would disagree

sk1001

HSC

wuddie said:

GET THE FUCK OUT AFL BOGAN CUNT. GO PLAY SOME FUCKING BOOFHEAD NRL. OOPS KICK THE BALL GET MAULED BY FUCKING 8 CUNTS SOLID BRICK WALL. TOP GAME INNIT?

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

shit man, get fired up. tell me, how much tv coverage does a-league get? what fraction of the page is the a-league in a newspaper?

so yea, think about it you lack of vocab swearing bastard.

ps. there's no mauling in nrl, get your facts right before you put your fingers on the keyboard.

sk1001

HSC

wuddie said:
shit man, get fired up. tell me, how much tv coverage does a-league get? what fraction of the page is the a-league in a newspaper?

so yea, think about it you lack of vocab swearing bastard.

ps. there's no mauling in nrl, get your facts right before you put your fingers on the keyboard.
Well every game is showed live on foxtel. Channel 10, 7 and SBS show highlights. Channel 9 has an agenda with the game, as you do. As a matter of fact, there is often a substantial section of a league coverage in The Age. Herald Sun, as part of the Southern Cross network, does not. And no mauling in NRL? Get the fuck out! What a pointless game! Kick and run into 8 thick skulled males?

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

yea 'substantial section' of the paper where no one will read, the day a-league stories come before cricket or rugby is the day i'll stop rooting your sister.

checkmate

BlackDragon

HSC

i just wish the A-League was on free to air TV. It would make it so much better and so much more popular around Australia.

Rainbow Joanna

HSC

sk1001 said:
GET THE FUCK OUT AFL BOGAN CUNT. GO PLAY SOME FUCKING BOOFHEAD NRL. OOPS KICK THE BALL GET MAULED BY FUCKING 8 CUNTS SOLID BRICK WALL. TOP GAME INNIT?
Yeah but with football(soccer) it is played right around the world. Last time I checked it had more registered nations alone than the UN that itself speaks volumes.

Besides, even the womens game is catching up. Look at how professional the womens league in the USA is runned. I know as a fanatic, that the mens league and football in general, in the states are seen with the same type of uneducated ape-like mentality. But, becuz its been running for awhile and historically it is very similar in terms of the media attention and general consensus the game has in the US and Oz. However, just take a look at the MLS now since its intro that was boosted from the USA hosting the 1994 world cup, it has not only allowed more American players now a better opportunity to develop and especially in terms of their technical ability. But, just look at how well ranked and well improved the Americans performance are in recent world cups.

Australia with A-league is doing just the same, plus with entry to the Asian Champ League and the huge market and passion over there it is not only gonna surpass the other codes in terms of audience, but as long as the FFA dun stuff up it will be continue to grow and most media only care about that at the end of the day anyways, sorry that took so long but the point is you cant beat the stats………

Last edited:

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC

people in this country that continue to put Football down and try and push the agendas of AFL and NRL know that their time is coming to an end. Football is the most played junior sport in australia, and the a-league, whilst not perfect, is attracting very good crowds. The only reason NRL is pushed so far ahead and AFL, is due to channel 9s ownership of rugby and cricket and thus trying to push them ahead of football, including the newspapers, owned by packer etc..hence the lack of coverage of football, however on austar/foxtel football is showed regualrly, and has toped the channels ratings over the past year in terms of most watched programs..

Not to mention the figures attracting crowds to the world cup for australias games, it was close to 4-6 million watched all 4 games, that is a pretty damn good attendance for 4 games! oh and as many have mentioned most played team sport in world etc etc...

Dont get me wrong i enjoy league and love my cricket, but football is the greatest spectacle in the world, i forget the quote but someone once said football is like theatre played on grass. anything can happen in 90mins. gotta love ur footy (football not rugby)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

i admit that football is great and spectacular on a global scale, but i just cannot see it making the big time here in aust. i daresay it's only after our 'fluke-ish' performance in the world cup that a lot more people started to follow it and going to the games. what happens if (and god forbids, because i go for the aussie team too) the socceroos fail to qualify in the next world cup? is everyone going to give up on it? the quality of the game here just isn't up to scratch comparing to the euro clubs, players are not getting paid enough, the media doesn't give a damn, it is almost only paying lip service to the sport.

by all means i'd love to see soccer (rugby owns the word 'footy' here, sorry pal) boom here, it'll do wonders for our national team. but let's face it, we are a rugby and cricketing nation.

peace out

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC

the game has just undergone a major facelift, out wif NSL and old ideas, in with a-league and new board and ideas. i know the quality of the game isnt the greatest, but it is getting better. it will take time for us to even get close to the level of europe and south america, they have had over 100years head start compared to us. Soccer NSW and FFA are investing in youth over the next few years, and with the appointment of the director of football we will begin to develop greater technical ability down here to.

As for ppl giving up, 1997 there was a massive crowd and even after we failed, the public didnt give up, neither in 2001 when we led the first leg, or 2005 when again we faced urugauy, there were no certainties of qualification there either. oh and our performance in the world cup wasnt flukish,majority of the squad were seasoned pros over in europe and had major experience, all we needed was a superior coach that got us there, we wouldve qualified in 2002 had we had a better coach too.

the only reason the media doesnt give a damn is cause that media is owned by ppl who push their agendas for cricket and footy (ch9) ahead of football. otherwise football would be number 1. i prefer cricket to footy by all means, and would love to see cricket and football as the number 1 codes in oz.

sk1001

HSC

wuddie said:
yea 'substantial section' of the paper where no one will read, the day a-league stories come before cricket or rugby is the day i'll stop rooting your sister.

checkmate
pfftt....
MVFC has made the front page of the sports section more than once...

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

oh for all you people who thinks soccer/football is the number 1 sport in the world... WRONG!

volleyball is the world game, soccer only comes after table tennis in terms of participation numbers. so yea, so much for people calling soccer the world game.

Rainbow Joanna

HSC

wuddie said:
oh for all you people who thinks soccer/football is the number 1 sport in the world... WRONG!

volleyball is the world game, soccer only comes after table tennis in terms of participation numbers. so yea, so much for people calling soccer the world game.
Uhmm, last time I checked Volleyball has 106 registered nations, football has 216 recognised and registered nations. Plus some countries like Spain for explain have Catalonia who play international matches but are not recognised by Fifa. In terms of participates its way more, volleyball and table tennis don't even come close unless of course you have trouble with your geography.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

i am talking about the number of participants, ie actual people, not countries. get your facts straight

BlackDragon

HSC

the number of participants does mean something, but its not as important as how wide spread and culturally significant something is.
for example, one of the most popular sports in the world (in terms of numbers), is kabaddi. but i bet more than 90% of people on this forum have no idea what it is.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A

I remember from before the recognised mostly participated sport in the world is fishing. Thank fuck let's have a World Cup for that one.

Wuddie is one of em sceptical kunts here, but no need to worry. Competition will improve due to A-League teams participating in the Asian Champions League. Quality of games will improve, and I'm sure the crowd numbers will get bigger as a result too.

Haven't been to an A-League game yet, but I will go when the Champions League comes to town.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC

wuddie said:

checkmate
The last time I checked, Cricket and Rugby (union) didn't have a liftout in one of Sydney's major newspapers (Daily Telegraphs, Tuesdays). And I'd put a dedicated liftout infront of a page in the sports section.

sk1001

HSC

Wuddie is just retarded. meh meh meh meh meh NRL meh meh meh meh

Wake up mate, football is the world game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)