The Football Thread (1 Viewer)

A.Chair

HSC
re: The Official Football Thread

Sportmediaset: Berlusconi says his story on Pirlo and beyond ..
01.08.2009 14:29 by Stefano Maraviglia article read 2668 times

As reported by Sportmediaset, has sensational. Silvio Berlusconi met in Rome, said as the news that he would like Pirlo, next purchase of Chelsea: "I am surprised the sale of Pirlo." Simple download the barrel ", or stroke of theatrical scene? The patron rossonero, then denies the rumors about a possible sale of Milan. ''These are all stories, there 'no truth''.
The leader of the Pdl still amazed when they ask if the team rossonera and 'willing to buy the Dutch center of Real Madrid, Klaas Huntelaar: "I do not know-Berlusconi admits-I know not." When the note that rossoneri fans are still in turmoil than the victories of Inter, Berlusconi replied, "To the fans I say that we were and we are the number one team in the world. I heard when Leonardo was in the United States, all is well ".

Great.... Berlusconi has completely lost it

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

Adrian Mutu is facing a bill in excess of £14.6m after a Fifa compensation award to Chelsea was upheld by sport's highest court. The sum was for Mutu's breach of contract relating to his having tested positive for using cocaine in September 2004. He was sacked a month later and after the five-year-long legal battle that ensued, the Court of Arbitration for Sport today definitively rejected the Fiorentina and Romania striker's arguments.

They were as follows:

* That the £14.6m compensation related to the full residual value of his transfer fee, although he had no say in the fixing of that figure when he joined Chelsea.

* That in summarily sacking him at the time of the positive test, Chelsea had taken insufficient steps to limit their damages.

* That the Fifa disputes resolution chamber which fixed the compensation award has jurisdiction only in cross-border disputes: he claimed that he was therefore being discriminated against as a foreigner.

* That Fifa rules state his new club [Livorno or Juventus at the time of the previous rulings] should be jointly liable alongside the player for compensation payable, however that has, as yet, not been enforced.

In a statement the CAS said: "In his appeal to the CAS, Adrian Mutu sought to set aside the DRC decision and establish that no compensation was due to be paid by him to Chelsea FC.

"The CAS Panel concluded that the appeal brought by the player was to be dismissed and the measure of damages, as awarded by the DRC, was to be confirmed. Adrian Mutu must therefore pay €17,173,990 (£14.6m) to Chelsea."

Chelsea have so far declined to comment. But although today's award is a significant victory for the Stamford Bridge club, they have already written off the £14.6m and will not expect easily to receive the sum from the 30-year-old. Anyone expecting an instant windfall for Carlo Ancelotti's summer transfer budget would be mistaken.

Since the compensation was set by the football authorities and is principally enforceable by them, Mutu may attempt to test the resolve of Chelsea, as well as the legal foundation for such awards to be upheld outside sport, by simply retiring from the game.

But for now, at a time when there is significant dispute among the anti-doping authorities and player-representation organisations about how to deal with positive tests for recreational drugs, the CAS's decision is a stark warning to any sportsman thinking of dabbling in prohibited substances.
Wtf. I completely agree with Mutu. They didn't sack him for any other reason that they were taking a moral stand to try and gain a better image about the club. If every player who took drugs was sacked, half the Premier League would be in the dole queue on Monday. If your employer sacks you for drug use, and you are employed by a rival firm, what legal recourse should you have? If they really cared about the player, they would have rehabilitated him. Justice to Chelsea as there is 0% chance they will get a cent. And nor should they.

Roy9

HSC

Do any of you guys know how the rights of some EPL games to ESPN affects us Aussies? Will we now miss some of the games?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

I think our rights are independent of whatever happens in the UK. Like the games Setanta had rights to were on Fox Sports, so I can't see anything different for ESPN. At worst they will be on ESPN.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Re: The Official A-League Thread.

I thought Melbourne would only drop 4 or so points all year... didn't expect them to lose to the Mariners. Can't say they didn't deserve it. Awful crowd figure too.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

... didn't expect them to lose to the Mariners.
Never underestimate CCM! Even though they hadn't won a game in Melbourne since the A-League started and they are coming of a shocker of a ACL campaign! :D

Admittedly, every season they seem to look a pretty bland team on paper (excl. Bozza last season) in comparison to some of the others in the comp, but dammit they can fight! Matt Simon is pretty under-rated imo.

Many predict them to finish 10th on the table, which is rubbish imo. I think they'll surprise a few people that have predicted them to flop.

Good start boys!

EDIT: Anyone else think the North Queensland Fury outfit looks rubbish? Lime green wtf?

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

My tips for Round 1:

Central Coast vs Melbourne
Perth vs Adelaide
North Queensland vs Sydney
Brisbane vs Gold Coast
Newcastle vs Wellington

Lookout next weekend: Local derby at Bluetongue Stadium!

Last edited:
HSC

I thought Melbourne would only drop 4 or so points all year... didn't expect them to lose to the Mariners. Can't say they didn't deserve it. Awful crowd figure too.
they're gonna unravel

no cover in their defence. plus they have leigh fucking broxham.

Charizard

HSC

You can't expect to win playing 3 DM's.

Sydney should really demolish NQlimefury, having beaten them 5-0 in pre season and nq having a shocking defence.

That said its their first game at home to NQ might play up, but i could still see them getting rolled.

johony

HSC

hmm..

2-0 sydney: 9.50
2-1 sydney: 9.50

Roy9

HSC

Anybody watch WBA vs Newcastle? Coloccini failed again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)