the hsc cannot tell you how smart you are. discuss (1 Viewer)

*Minka*

HSC
You'd be amazed at how many people I know that are not veyr intelligent but just studied and memorised facts before the exams and pulled off a high UAI.

*Minka*

HSC
Benny1103 said:
I thought it went unsaid but obviously my comments don't apply to people in difficult situations, people who have disabilities etc.
Oh I understand totally. I was just using an example of where the old rule of 'High UAI = Superior Intelligence' does not apply.

Spyrax

HSC
N/A
Ofcourse the hsc cannot tell how smart you are, the hsc can only show whos good at studying and actually studies, and how doesnt study or doesnt study effectively.

wanton-wonton

HSC
Spyrax said:
Ofcourse the hsc cannot tell how smart you are, the hsc can only show whos good at studying and actually studies, and how doesnt study or doesnt study effectively.
shortygb said:
the hsc isnt a realiable measure of how smart someone is, a high uai dosent nessacarily mean a smarter person.
vanush said:
the hsc is a test of diligence, and afterwards, how fast you can forget what you learnt in high school.
You are all dickheads. Read what I said in my first post. Trust me, no matter how fucking hard you study or how effective your study methods are, in order to get a UAI of 100, you'd have to be pretty fucking smart.

Having said that, I'm not saying UAI is the ultimate indicator of intelligence. In fact, far from it.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Well I think that it would be rather senseless to deny that you'd need a fair bit of intelligence to achieve a very high UAI. I don't think that the UAI is an absolute measure of intelligence. However, considering the fact that exam questions vary quite a lot from year to year, it would only indicate ignorance to say that people with 99+ UAI are rote learners.

Gummy_bear

HSC
It depends on what subjects you are doing.
Some do require the ability to think out situations and be able to apply certain knowledge to them (ie: maths)
But others really depend on the regurgitation of ideas that your teacher and the bored of studies has told you (ie: english)

The UAI in no way demonstrates how smart you are, there are so many factors involved. Getting a low UAI in no way means you are dumb, it simply means that either the subjects you did were not considered 'smart' subjects (ie: physics as compared to senior science) and of course, you UAI depends on heaps of other factors that dont even relate to you HSC marks.

I really think english is the subject in most need of a change, to me its just about how well you are at articulating what your teacher has already told you, basic regurgitation, although you do need some good essay writing skills and creative writing skills. I think english should change, perhaps to skills that we can use later on, like spelling. i mean, they only ever teach it in primary school, and even then, its not that great.

and of course, everyone learns differently, just becasue you didnt go well int he HSC by no way means you are dumb, you may be a more 'hands on' person.
The choices you make in the real world will decide how smart you really are.

That is my, verly long, 2 cents.

Edit: I do agree with wanton though, to get a UAI of 100, you cant be a total dumbass and it means you can dont just reguritate information, but go further and add an extra something.

Last edited:

Raginsheep

HSC
To succed in life, you need three things:
1. Talent/Intelligence/Ability
2. Hard work
3. Luck.

Obviously, different things require different amounts of each but in my opinion, to do well in the HSC, the most important thing is hard work. Thats not to say that intelligence is unimportant but the HSC places more emphaises on doing consistent work.

Mongke

HSC
i enjoyed ur 2 cents gummy bear :) but dont u think english is getting abit better? its still very much so ur teachers words ttho. i did yates (lucky me) and the question was basicly wat is ur oppinion on yates. granted the answer had to be hes good but i have hope for the next year, i think its getting better...

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Benny1103 said:
Mongke I don't consider your UAI to be 'low' so I hope you don't take offence to what I said.
What's low?

Gummy_bear

HSC
Mongke said:
does the uai cover for ppl with dissabilities then? it doesnt seem to in minkas case.
Depending on the extremity of the disability, a lot of different measures can be taken. Some people dont get a UAI as they do 'life skills' which will help them more in jobs and stuff for after school, this is for people with down syndrome and other severe mental disabilities. (i feel kind of bad saying 'severe' but cant think of a better word)
Some people can get extra time in exams if they need longer to grasp ideas, others get writers and readers, and of course, the school would usually send in an automatic appeal form for the student stating their disability and the HSC marks would be calculated accordingly.

But, people with disabilities can regect all these options if they want, it really just depends on the severity of the case.

Mongke

HSC
thanks gummy bear, i htought ppl had forgotten about that! i was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience, or knew some one unlucky enough to be doing the hsc with a dissaability.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Here's my 2 cents:

The UAI is not a measure of how smart you are. It is a measure of how many courses you are eligible to apply for if you are continuing on to tertiary education at a uni. :)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
the hsc is not an indicator of how smart an individual is. thus most of the people that get like 95+ are the one's who actually work extremely hard and not because they are actually smart. another factor is that some people might be really bad at doing exams because they might be slower when getting ideas down or that they find it difficult working under pressure.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
There are exceptions though... I know of a friend that got 100, he was pretty much dux from 7-12!! :eek:

Now that's what you call smart. :lol:

Gummy_bear

HSC
Mongke said:
thanks gummy bear, i htought ppl had forgotten about that! i was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience, or knew some one unlucky enough to be doing the hsc with a dissaability.
Yeh, ive got first hand experience in that field. I have tourretes syndrome and used to get extra time (in year 7 and 8) but after a while i felt that i didnt need it and if i chose to have extra time i would be cheating myself and the system and it would be unfair as i was perfectly able to do the proper exam without help.

At my school we had about 7 people with disabilities ranging from only slight learning problems to a girl who had a severe learning problem, i believe shehad something like 'reads'? Im not sure what that is though.
That girl only did life skills courses and didnt get a proper HSC, but a special one.

Pretty much, anyone with a disability is given whatever they need so that they will be on the same playing level as any other HSCer. :) Its quite a good system if you ask me, having had experience.

Mongke

HSC
its good they got that right because i couldnt imagin doing the hsc if something was to happen to me. its hard enough as it is. if ur used to the dissability then i suppose it becomes irrelevant (to a degree) but if something was to happen during the hsc, like a death in the family, or if u became ill... anyway, thats off the topic somewat, i was just wondering :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)