The HSC is unfair because.... (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
watatank said:
Agreed, but that's not the point I was making. I think that the HSC in the end is just a bridge, for many people the easiest path to success for them. But it's not the only one. To say the HSC is unfair because it determines your income for the next 30-40 years is unjustified. People who have the attitude that the HSC determines their career path for the next 30-40 years WILL let the HSC rule their lives and let it choose their career path for them and the level of income etc.

Those with the attitude that they can do better than what their UAI suggests they are capable of will find an alternative pathway to do what they want (or something better anyway) and won't let the UAI affect the outcome. I believe you haven't finished year 12 yet? IN time you will understand this too.

It's a means to an end.
People give a shit about their UAI to a certain extent, but the UAI means a lot to me more than others, that was what I wanted to mention.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Summer Rain said:
  • Your HSC is not your IQ - it is simply a rank to gain entrance into university and in no way does it predict your success at university. Most people who just scrape in there course will do better than those who achieved a high UAI. Uni requires different skills than the HSC and the marking system is much fairer (eg - there is no scaling of schools, the same lecturer marks your papers, everyone in the course learns/gets the same materials from the same lecturer)
  • 20-30% of first year students will drop out of university because they have chosen the wrong course or do not enjoy their course (at the age of 18 you can't expect to know what you want to do with your life, its one of the toughest decisions anyone makes in their life)
  • The majority of those who graduate from uni will not end up using their degree or will use it for a short time and will change into completely different careers because they don't like what they are doing.
  • Once your in the system, it is not that hard to transfer from one degree to another, believe me, I know sooo many people who have done that (although some courses such as law maybe competitive)
  • But here is the very interesting part: those who choose not to go to university, didn't get the marks or who end up dropping out after first year go on to do very well in life. I have worked in HR in a few large coporations and I would say 75% of people who are working in office jobs do not have a degree. They also have the advantage of gaining experience while others are still at uni and are debt free. From my personal experience, I have two friends who failed the HSC and both are on 70- 80K a year (largely because they started working immediately after year 12 and just worked their way up the company gaining experience).
  • Others may go to TAFE and learn a trade like plumbing or hair dressing. They open their own businesses such as a hair salon, plumbing service, restaurant or a franchise.
  • Others may find pleasure in travelling and working in different countries
  • Others will find the love of their lives, get married, have children and choose to be a house wife/husband.
  • For those who do graduate from university, academic success does not necessarily translate into career success
  • For those who enter a field where you don't need a degree (unlike say law or medicine) experience is everything.
Thanks heaps for that, it really helps put things in perspective right now :)

Have a good new years!

HSC
f3nr15 said:
People give a shit about their UAI to a certain extent, but the UAI means a lot to me more than others, that was what I wanted to mention.
I'm not telling you not to care about your UAI. Just try not to treat it as the be-all and end-all, thats all.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
mrzeidan1 said:
The HSC is pointless because while english is the only compulsory subject, half of Australian's still cannot speak proper english.
HALF of Australians?

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Sprinkles~ said:
Hahaha well yeah true, some (actually it's probably more like all :p) university degress are just insanely expensive, I wonder where all the money goes. It should still be free, then anyone would be able to go no matter how much money they have... we should have been born earlier! :p

Just adding a little of my 2 cents

University's do not recieve ENOUGH funding from the government..

I know so because of family experience, my father was made redundant by the UNCLE in 1996 because of a funding cut and judging by the current news and things, these redundancies of staff have happened each year, just so the University's can cover costs. This is why full fee paying gets a considerably lower UAI than Commonwealth funded and as well as why University's take on so many international students...

Another thing to note, this same UNCLE laid off a considerable number of staff last year and for the first time recorded a profit in the many millions of dollars... sadly though, even if you were to keep your job, your work intake basically doubled... ew..

If you think about it, running a university would have a massive amount of costs, and try running it on say 2/3rds of an original budget due to cuts... even that is pretty devastating.

As for free university, my mother jumped at the chance, having migrated here just after the abolishment of the WAP (lol she wasn't allowed in the country before hand even though she spoke/wrote perfect English and had a sister here)...she has a science degree with honours ^_^ She wishes that I had the same chance of free university as her... but you know, I guess we're lucky we have CFEE, even though we'll have some hideous debt later on...

Rar

Oh and to answer the thread

The HSC is unfair because it ruined my friendship with someone who got onto the Honour Roll.. sure it's great he got that but our ties are severed.... but on several accounts the HSC was great, cause it gave me a cause to write justly in my blog and make all these super friends...

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Sparcod said:
HALF of Australians?
connected said:
Yeah... half of Australian's. The other (literal) half of said people CAN speak English.

:p
It's obvious that you both can't type english.

It should be: "The HSC is pointless because while english is the only compulsory subject, half of Australia still cannot speak proper english."

Otherwise "...half of those people who call themselves Australian still cannot speak proper english"

:)

connected

HSC
bobness said:
It's obvious that you both can't type english.

It should be: "The HSC is pointless because while english is the only compulsory subject, half of Australia still cannot speak proper english."

Otherwise "...half of those people who call themselves Australian still cannot speak proper english"

:)
Thank you for your insightful yet useless post. :) I think you missed my joke.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Your joke was sh*t and upon re-reading only finally makes sense.

At least i'm educating the nubs instead of joining forces (or should i say "connecting" lolz) with them.

connected

HSC
bobness said:
At least i'm educating the nubs instead of joining forces (or should i say "connecting" lolz) with them.
Oh my god. And you're saying my joke was shit? CONNECTING LOLZ!! Maybe if you got off your pedastal and stopped trying to 'correct' people, you'd be able to see that it was merely a joke. And to think you did 4 unit English!! :rofl:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
bobness said:
Your joke was sh*t and upon re-reading only finally makes sense.

wtf? Hahaha funny...connecting lol!:lol::rofl:

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
luscious-llama said:
Just adding a little of my 2 cents

University's do not recieve ENOUGH funding from the government..

I know so because of family experience, my father was made redundant by the UNCLE in 1996 because of a funding cut and judging by the current news and things, these redundancies of staff have happened each year, just so the University's can cover costs. This is why full fee paying gets a considerably lower UAI than Commonwealth funded and as well as why University's take on so many international students...

Another thing to note, this same UNCLE laid off a considerable number of staff last year and for the first time recorded a profit in the many millions of dollars... sadly though, even if you were to keep your job, your work intake basically doubled... ew..

If you think about it, running a university would have a massive amount of costs, and try running it on say 2/3rds of an original budget due to cuts... even that is pretty devastating.

As for free university, my mother jumped at the chance, having migrated here just after the abolishment of the WAP (lol she wasn't allowed in the country before hand even though she spoke/wrote perfect English and had a sister here)...she has a science degree with honours ^_^ She wishes that I had the same chance of free university as her... but you know, I guess we're lucky we have CFEE, even though we'll have some hideous debt later on...

Rar

Oh and to answer the thread

The HSC is unfair because it ruined my friendship with someone who got onto the Honour Roll.. sure it's great he got that but our ties are severed.... but on several accounts the HSC was great, cause it gave me a cause to write justly in my blog and make all these super friends...

couldn't have said it any better myself :)
Only those who are aware of the existance of many more unfair systems, can actually feel that the HSC system is relatively fair.

KD2

HSC
The HSC is unfair because in year 10, the head of english told my english class that none of us will be doing advanced english for the HSC course. 10 went in and 5 came back lol

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
The HSC is unfair because if your an aboriginal they look after you
Isn't giving them special advantage a form of racism towards them?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
ari89 said:
wtf? Hahaha funny...connecting lol!:lol::rofl:
Yeah i thought so too :(

Such a bully connected.

P.S. funny bloodyfriday :)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
ANY abo (or for the PC 'indigenous person') that wants to go to uni should be allowed in because they are grossly under-represented. of course they should be put through tertiary preperation courses, but the fact they are willing to go is a good thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)