The HSC Music 2007 Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

cmckie

HSC
YAY!!! goodwork!!!
I wrote my composition last year for solo cello, mind you, it wasnt all that great because I ended up writing it the weenend before it was due after completely scraping another composition I had half written!
Its good that you are starting yours early!:)
What instrument do you play?

Sofstar

HSC
hehehe, the weekend before?
Teacher's are onto our backs and want to check where we're at in our compositions every week. I play french horn. But one of my compositions that i'm working on at the moment includes the cello, violin and horn. Not sure if i'll add something else in or not.
Good luck with extension!

cmckie

HSC
hahaha, yeah I remember my teacher trying to check up on our progress all the time, I would show him the excact same thing everytime and just waffle on about what i 'planned' to do, but didnt end up doing it! That sounds terrible actually, and yes i really did end up writing my composition the weekend before, and my logbook was being finished an hour before it was due. It was really, without a doubt the most stresssul thing i have ever put myself through in my whole life!!
I think with composition, its important to be doing something that inspires you, or keeps you interested some way, so that it can be something that you enjoy working on throughout the year!
Thanks for the luck with music extention!!:)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I was SO lazy during my HSC. In the end, I ended up writing all three of my compositions (core composition, plus music extension compositions) in the three days before they were due. I didn't sleep for over 72 hours finishing them.

Hint: DON'T LEAVE IT TILL THE LAST MINUTE. Find a good composition tutor to motivate you.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Emma-Jayde said:
Excuse me, but that's absolute bullshit as far as singers are concerned. (I can't speak for wind or brass because I don't play either)
I did a 6 piece program and I very rarely practiced for more than half an hour at a time.
I treated my HSC performance a little like a recital; A mixed program with each song contrasting with the ones before and after it.
I did 3 solo pieces (a Mozart aria, a classical music theatre piece and a Bach oratorio), a duet, and then 2 other solo pieces (a folk song and a Gilbert and Sullivan song).
I did my sight singing after I'd finished all the pieces.

Like DH1988 said, it depends on how you structure your program.

If there's any singers (the wider 'classical' and music theatre style) that would like advice or suggestions, feel free to ask :)
*tap from Victoria*

Well, it depends from person to person. I presented a 7 piece recital for our Music Performance subject down here with no worries. But some people aren't as vocally fit...voice is probably one of the easiest instruments to tire out from (well, I think bagpipes is up there with it, probably above it!)

Erisus

December Member
HSC
Hi im doing Music One at my school
Im currently doing Guitar - Blues jazz, bosanova, rock, and some classical and if i have to...ill do some metal too

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
What are you playing for the HSC? Your description of your styles seems very interesting.

sparkie1108

HSC
heya same here.. our music class teacher is so useless.. she never rocks up.. its crap.. we have no resources whatsoever.. so you arent alone.. you arent the only ones struggling.. we're doing music 1 too.. wb dude

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
sparkie1108 said:
heya same here.. our music class teacher is so useless.. she never rocks up.. its crap.. we have no resources whatsoever.. so you arent alone.. you arent the only ones struggling.. we're doing music 1 too.. wb dude
Hahaha, yesss. There is another class like us. I really don't know what to do - i've been pressuring our teacher into doing stuff with us and we are doing it, but it seems as though our class is content with mediocrity, which really sucks for someone like me whoo needs a band 6 to not be kicked in the arse by scaling.

Are you doing 4 performances or what? And what do you play?

babylupin

HSC
I'm doing Music 2 and extension (musicology) this year
I really want to go onto music teaching - it woudl be fantastic
I play clarient (grade 6), and a poor piano player!! lol
I love Jazz Music to play, and listen too, although i like people like John Mayer, the Killers, and good old Queen and the Stones!
I'm doing the performance elective for music 2...adn i am really hating the composition task at the moment...i'm pretty poor at it...lol

Anyway, good luck with your studies everyone!

bassguy

HSC
i'm doing music 2 and performance extension
doing performance elective for music 2 as well
i play sax (went for a.mus last year) and bass
i'd really like to have a career in music, its all i can imagine doing
anyway, good luck to everyone

cls

HSC
Hi.
I'm doing Music 2 (distance ed) for my H.S.C.
I've been playing the piano for about 8 years and trying to play guitar (for fun) for a couple of years.
I love composing and would love to do it for the rest of my life.
Not a big fan of music theory but getting better at it.
I'm doing composition for my elective in mus 2.

cls

HSC
well......in my one:
elective comp (almost done)
core comp (hardly started )
performance piece (.....getting there)

sparkie1108

HSC
bringbackshred said:
Hahaha, yesss. There is another class like us. I really don't know what to do - i've been pressuring our teacher into doing stuff with us and we are doing it, but it seems as though our class is content with mediocrity, which really sucks for someone like me whoo needs a band 6 to not be kicked in the arse by scaling.

Are you doing 4 performances or what? And what do you play?
hey! argh! i know how u feel! this is crazy, its like we both have the same teachers! i think it might have something to do the the drama teachers at my school, they're all the same, espesh my drama teacher.. i pressure my teacher all the time too! which leads her to kinda dodge me in the corridors now cos she knows that im gonna ask/hassle her about something :D lol.. and yeah i need a band 6 too! i really really need a band 6 for music - i gave up pe - which i was topping- to concentrate on music but i didnt count on my teacher being craphouse :S yeah my class never wants to do anything either- they are completely content with bludging , i hate it!

im doing 2 perfances, a viva and a comp.. what bout u? i play clarinet, piano and sax- i play whatever suits my topics the best for each performance i do.. it helps, i like it.. what do u play?:)

mashimaro12

HSC
mmm, I thought I might just post and see what happens, lol

Yeah, I'm doing Music 1 because Music 2 is correspondence at my school and I'm playing piano with a performance major...
yeah been playing I dunno...8 years and went for the amus last year....

HATE AURAL HATE AURAL HATE AURAL

Performing for me is ok i dont really get nervous. but yah.... aural is my downfall.

anyone go to that HSC MUSIC STUDY DAY thingy in wollongong... if theres any people from around there on here.. prob not. ah well. yeah thats me
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE DOING MUSIC 1 (and music 2):)

HSC
sparkie1108 said:
hey! argh! i know how u feel! this is crazy, its like we both have the same teachers! i think it might have something to do the the drama teachers at my school, they're all the same, espesh my drama teacher.. i pressure my teacher all the time too! which leads her to kinda dodge me in the corridors now cos she knows that im gonna ask/hassle her about something :D lol.. and yeah i need a band 6 too! i really really need a band 6 for music - i gave up pe - which i was topping- to concentrate on music but i didnt count on my teacher being craphouse :S yeah my class never wants to do anything either- they are completely content with bludging , i hate it!

im doing 2 perfances, a viva and a comp.. what bout u? i play clarinet, piano and sax- i play whatever suits my topics the best for each performance i do.. it helps, i like it.. what do u play?:)
I'm doing 2 perfs, a viva and a comp as well, lol.

I play guitar. And it is pretty handy because i'm the only person in my class not doing 4 performances, so we have all of these general topics so people are able to paly whatever they want.

Do you have any grading or anything?

calmal

HSC
Yo.

Doing music 1... playin the geeetar.

got cut down in my half yearlies cause i played too 'accompaniment music'...i agreed.

so yeh i kinda need to chose my pieces for the HSC...im doin 4 performances.

i wanna play rock but have been told u get marked down cause its so oftenly played...i think thats wrong..cause if u nail it..well..thats good..isnt it..? :p

thinking of playing

the journey-tommy emmanuel

bulls on parade-RATM (got told not to...but..meh)

misty..lol forgot whos it by..its that jazz 1.

and havnt got a fourth... anyone keen to constructively criticise me...?

~untitled~

HSC
Yea, im doing music 1 this year, i play piano and violin, doing piano for my performances because i am stronger with it.
For hsc i am doing 2 performances and 2 viva. Eventhough i would like to do 4 performance because it would be easier and more enjoyable, i am better with vivas, coz i get really nervous when performing (my music teachers solution is making me play at every assembly and every event possible, causing me major emaressment when i stuff up).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)