the John Mayer thread (merged) (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I absolutely love Slow Dancing in a Burning Room, but I havent heard the Continuum version yet. I'm so stoked.

God, I'm dying here, he's touring in october!??!?!

Don't tease me here....

*dying*

EDIT: okay i just heard the continuum version. Oh its beautiful

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Simmering Medley OMG (I mean Belief)

The lyrics are all different!!! ITS BEAUTIFUL!!!!

bustinjustin

HSC
mizosoup said:
Wait a mom...where'd you get this info? I've checked the usual places (ticketek, ticketmaster, jm.com, chugg, coppel, msm...) and haven't found anything. Do you know something we don't know??
Argh..I'll die if he comes to aus in October!
Lol its not through connections or anything it's straight off the sonybmg website it's only a promo tour *sigh* but he'll be here nonetheless oh its time like these i wish the Panel was back cos he's always great on that show, I reckon he could be the next Letterman...on that note, let's hope he does a Nelly Furtado and do a gig on Sunrise at the very least, otherwise we'll have to do the groupie thing and hunt him down at his hotel (I'm sure there are plenty other guys out there that do the same for other male arteests...)

I started listening to it, only got as far as Gravity, I stopped because I want to keep it a surprise, I'm gonna (try to) resist until September 9.

(So tempted to pre-order from the official site and get one of the packages with a t-shirt included...)

bustinjustin

HSC
http://http://www.sonybmg.com.au/artist/artistSiteLink.do?artistId=14719&showInfo=true

John Mayer To Visit Oz; Achieves 'Continuum' On New Album
John Mayer's new album 'Continuum' hits stores Saturday, September 9 and it's an album, he says, that is the fitting final piece of his musical trilogy. Soulful tunes with political themes indicate a newfound maturity for the multi-platinum musician, who says he took all the time he needed to get comfortable in his own skin and create something truly great. Big news also just in that John will visit Oz this October to promote 'Continuum'!
Big news just confirmed that John Mayer will return to Australia this October to promote his new studio album 'Continuum', due in stores Saturday, September 9.

Following the multi-platinum 'Room For Squares'(2001) and 'Heavier Things' (2003), the singer/songwriter says that like any third album in a series, 'Continuum' will be the album to blow his trilogy open.

"A lot of these songs are about coming to terms with getting older," he says. "My generation was never told we were going to get older. We thought we were going to hear our names on 'Romper Room' for the rest of our lives. For a long time, I was really upset about getting older, worried that things were just going to level out... But then I realized that everyone around me was all getting older at the same time. We're all fighting it together... When I realized that, I could relax about it a little bit."

'Continuum' has been slowly coddled ever since the night he won a Grammy for his hit single 'Daughters' in 2005 - an experience he said bought him the time to learn what he needed to produce something great. Working with the likes of Eric Clapton, B.B King, Kanye West, Alicia Keys, and his Trio co-members Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino, he focused on "being more raw" in his playing, and honed his skills and influences to produce an album that he felt was worthy of the final stage of his trifecta:

"'Continuum' is not a shot in the dark, it's not a guesstimation. This is the first endeavour in my entire life, music or otherwise, that I did not cop out for a second on."

Tackling bigger themes than we've heard from him yet, political tracks such as 'Waiting On The World To Change' allow Mayer to be the guy who can sing about the influences, worries and opinions of his generation.

"It's meant to shed a little light on inactivity and inaction," he says, "because I don't believe that inaction is disinterest, I think inaction is preservation - nobody wants to get involved in a debate in which the rules and the facts will change so that they'll lose. So we end up with this other option, which is, I guess we'll just have to wait for things to get better."

But his proudest creation is the track 'Gravity', which he said changed everything for him. "You talk less when you trust that people understand you. That might be the most important song I ever wrote."

Stay tuned for more news of Mayer's visit to Australia.

John Mayer's new album 'Continuum' out September 9

bustinjustin

HSC
"It's an album, he says, that is the fitting final piece of his musical trilogy"

This line however, leaves me very, very concerned................. :(
We'll have to ask him in october...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
OH GOD

I"M GOING INSANE

OCTOBER

(doesn't that info normally become available months prior?)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
bustinjustin said:
"It's an album, he says, that is the fitting final piece of his musical trilogy"

This line however, leaves me very, very concerned................. :(
We'll have to ask him in october...
no no no no

he said he'll do this for a lifetime.

*shakes head hysterically*

mizosoup

HSC
Haha...yeah sif Mayer would be able to give up making music - he loves it way too much

If he does tour in October, it'll be late October since he's got shows lined up til 14th Oct in the US. PLEASE DON'T COME DURING EXAM TIME!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!

On the topic of Continuum, did anyone else expect a lot more guitar? And does anyone else think that its the 2nd half that really shines? That is, the half w/ the stuff we haven't heard before this year.

Waiting I never loved, though it is growing on me, but trust myself, belief, gravity and vultures just don't seem as good as their live versions that I've heard so many times before. I dunno..they seem more....restricted?? Like he's holding back or something. The other 6 though... MAN! SOO GOOD!!! They're all so beautiful and emotionally raw. Man! Almost cried in stop this train and dreaming with a broken heart, and the heart of life and in repair were just so uplifting!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I beg to differ on your opinion of Belief.

I love the live one, with "Sleeping at the crash site walking on the wreckage of somebodys past life another ones old love" etc, but in Belief, but that chorus where it sounds like *many Johns* singing, its just AWESOME

"we;re never gonna win the world" or something

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
beeeaauutttiiffullll

Is there anyone who
Ever remembers
Changin their mind from
The paint on a sign
Is there anyone who
Really recalls
Ever break your rank at all
For something someone yelled
Real loud one time

Oh everyone believes
In how they think it oughta be
Oh everyone believes
And they’re not goin easily

Belief is a beautiful armor
That makes for the heaviest sword
Like punchin underwater
You never can hit who you’re trying for
Some need the exhibiton
Some have to know they tried
It’s the chemical weapon
For the war that’s ragin on inside

Oh everyone believes
From emptyness to everything
Oh everyone believes
And no ones goin quietly

We’re never gonna win the world
We’re never gonna stop the war
We’re never gonna beat this if belief
Is what we’re fightin for

Is there anyone
You can ever remember
Who ever surrendered
With their life on the line

What takes a hundred thousand
Children in the sand
Belief can, belief can

What puts the folded flag
Inside his mothers hand
Belief can, belief can

bustinjustin

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
no no no no

he said he'll do this for a lifetime.

*shakes head hysterically*
Yeah i remember him saying that too, can't remember where I read it though... possibly on his 'Xanga' blog though (have any of you ever seen that?)

Can't really speak yet since i haven't listented to whole album, but as for gravity, i listened to the live version straight after, and personally I prefer the 'subtler' album version, i dunno, i felt it suited the tone of the lyrics which seemed to be in the same vein as 'clarity' (oh all this talk makes me wanna listen to it now)

Isn't it great that he's taken his songwriting beyond dating, lovesongs and the hardships of being a twentysomething? He's got so much to say!

Last edited:

bustinjustin

HSC
mizosoup said:
Haha...yeah sif Mayer would be able to give up making music - he loves it way too much

If he does tour in October, it'll be late October since he's got shows lined up til 14th Oct in the US. PLEASE DON'T COME DURING EXAM TIME!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!
Yeah exams will definitely be the last thing on our minds if he's here when they're on. Let's hope it's during stuvac or something - otherwise we'll have to ask for special consideration, most definitely... surely they'll understand!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Yeah I just saw some articles.

I saw it on a magazine cover ages ago. This whole bullshit how jessica wanted to get back at nick lachley. Sometime early this year.

Maybe, personally I don't see it....

I like the idea of John being single and lonely so I will keep it that way :p

Last edited:

mizosoup

HSC
I'll believe it when he comes out and says it...as he said in some interview, when he's with someone, he'll be proud of it and let us know. I think it was a Sydney radio interview from last year actually...and it was on the topic of him and Jessica too

Anywho, its all about the music baby!

Damn, Continuum sounds good!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Oh god if it were really Jessica Simpson I hope she doesn't sing about how great he is in her songs like she did for Nick.

I would cringe and die for so many reasons

But yes, Stef does not and refuses to believe.

bustinjustin

HSC
if they were/are together, i wonder if it would improve her music somehow...
I too oppose their pairing in case it has any adverse affects on his music...

bustinjustin

HSC
OMG IT'S BEEN RELEASED
Bought the album this morning. Was so fidgety at work, I snubbed my co workers and refused more hours/more pay just so i could go home and give it a proper listen, which I'm in the process of doing right now... it's so amazingly different from what he's done before...

And the cold, rainy weather is perfect for listenting to it too...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)