The Justice Game (1 Viewer)

mn26

HSC
Is anyone studying the Justice Game in advanced english this year?
we have just started it and i am interested to hear other peoples take on this text.. particularly the chapter "show trials"...
thanks!

HSC
mn26 said:
Is anyone studying the Justice Game in advanced english this year?
we have just started it and i am interested to hear other peoples take on this text.. particularly the chapter "show trials"...
thanks!
yep we did :)

not many people chose this for 'telling the truth' module most do 'frontline' so theres not going to be as many extra sources at your disposal... just to give u a head up ;)

i read the context of show trials and refered to it briefly in my essays but the main ones we did in depth was
diana in the docks
Michael x
the prisona of venda
and the preface
and briefly glanced at the others...

main thing you kinda realise when reading it is how egotist and self-involved Robertson really it :D lol

MichaelSy

HSC
I am not studiyng The Justice Game as a text but I have read it as the brother to Geoffrey Robertson is a well established Barrister living in Balmain close to me. If anyone is interested I am more than certain inside information can be given.

Cheers, Michael

Mitch.hope99

HSC
yeah, all the advanced english classes where im from are doing it, i myself absolutely hated the book to begin with, it was like 'eating a dry sand cracker'.... over time though it has grow on many of us, we've gone from hating it with a passion, to indifferent.

dinopoke

HSC
I'm reading it casually at the moment as we will only study it in Term 4. It started off really boring but since then I've come to enjoy it a bit. It's still a dense read (for me) and it takes a while to crawl through the chapters. I'm curious as to how it will be studied though.

Anyway, this thread should be moved into English Advanced into it's respective sub-forum or whatever. :p

amrit92

HSC
yeah, all the advanced english classes where im from are doing it, i myself absolutely hated the book to begin with, it was like 'eating a dry sand cracker'.... over time though it has grow on many of us, we've gone from hating it with a passion, to indifferent.
Yeh i totally agree. It's so boooooringgg!!!:eek: And i am no good with this law shit, lucky for the ppl doing legal studies, like my friend. (he loves it!) But for the rest of us, uurrgghhhh. I've read one chapter (Trials of the Oz) which took me ages to read since its small font, its difficult, and theres like NO PARAGRAPHS! Long half-page sometimes page long slabs of writing - it makes it so unappealing 2 read! And on top of that, the story is confusing and boring, i actually fell asleep trying 2 read it... Most of my class find it boring as well.

Hopefully it gets better, maybe the chapters vary in quality.

Anybody found any good sites to help study The Justice Game? :confused:

chuha

HSC
N/A
Yeh i totally agree. It's so boooooringgg!!!:eek: And i am no good with this law shit, lucky for the ppl doing legal studies, like my friend. (he loves it!) But for the rest of us, uurrgghhhh. I've read one chapter (Trials of the Oz) which took me ages to read since its small font, its difficult, and theres like NO PARAGRAPHS! Long half-page sometimes page long slabs of writing - it makes it so unappealing 2 read! And on top of that, the story is confusing and boring, i actually fell asleep trying 2 read it... Most of my class find it boring as well.

Hopefully it gets better, maybe the chapters vary in quality.

Anybody found any good sites to help study The Justice Game? :confused:
hahahahaha you sound like your having a lot of trouble with the justice game, its not that bad! some of the things discussed in there are true, and human rights is a very common issue in modern day. its one of my texts too, and i think its ok.
as far as sites go for help, there's hardly any, but you might one to try and buy a book on it, like a study guide. that really helps.

pravski

HSC
hahahahaha you sound like your having a lot of trouble with the justice game, its not that bad! some of the things discussed in there are true, and human rights is a very common issue in modern day. its one of my texts too, and i think its ok.
as far as sites go for help, there's hardly any, but you might one to try and buy a book on it, like a study guide. that really helps.
We've finished that topic in class now not having too much trouble with it anymore but its just incredibly boring lol. Thanks for the advice

amrit92

HSC
We've finished that topic in class now not having too much trouble with it anymore but its just incredibly boring lol. Thanks for the advice
OOPS! i was logged in my older brother's account LOL the above comment is actually me... so yeh anyway thanks for the advice

sophie.p

HSC
I am not studiyng The Justice Game as a text but I have read it as the brother to Geoffrey Robertson is a well established Barrister living in Balmain close to me. If anyone is interested I am more than certain inside information can be given.

Cheers, Michael
Is there any chance you could send me some information? We just started the Justice Game and im struggling to understand the module. Thanks heaps!!

fadzware

HSC
Do you know any good study guides?
this module is driving me insane and im not even exagerating!

acemusic415

HSC
Well, I surely feel like an unwanted hermit! I am actually in Year 10 and I studied the Justice Game. The memoir was nonetheless sagacious and interesting and I subsequently used it as an additional text for my “Telling the Truth” topic with a major focus in Frontline. I admit the context of the memoir is based on a lot of law however that didn’t stop me from reading it because I find law quite interesting. When I was doing some research, there are not many study notes listed on the internet and a few on the BOS Resources. I got the Top Notes book to reassure and substantiate the idea that I grasped throughout the entire story. It also has detailed summaries and notions for you to apply to any essays, topics etc.

My truth topic I discussed for my assessment (speech) about the dubious nature of the truth, bias and perception crossed the HSC topic of “Conflicting Perspectives”. So, I strongly recommend you to purchase or borrow the Top Notes Study Guide by Bruce Pattinson. It’s very constructive and helpful. My teacher recommended to our class to get Top Notes Study Guides for any ex HSC texts, because my school for English tends to analyse ex HSC texts/topics to assist the transition I suppose. And surprisingly I got the top mark and I was the only one who listened to my teacher. So I strongly recommend you into getting that Top Notes Study Guide, very nifty.

Also, I have a rough memory of the “Show Trials”. The central notion conferred I believe regarded conflicting perspectives in a significant focus in freedom of speech. However it placed a major focus on the fact that if this civil and constitutional right should be allowed in all cases despite being manipulated for sedition. If you were to be studying the truth and if you were to be analysing about premeditated bias etc, you could note out that as the author, Robertson is blatantly being subjective and prejudicial and is clearly for freedom of speech.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)