The Legal Studies HSC 2014 Preparation Thread (1 Viewer)

dim-sims

HSC
Thought I could whip through multiple choice in my trials so I had more time in the essays. Worst decision of my life. I did well in my essays and HR short answer but wowee made certainly the stupidest mistakes in multiple choice

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Thought I could whip through multiple choice in my trials so I had more time in the essays. Worst decision of my life. I did well in my essays and HR short answer but wowee made certainly the stupidest mistakes in multiple choice
multiple choice is stupid; my teacher said the average mark was like 11 or 13 (can't remember). They are going to be mainly those identify dot points like "this robbery scenario happened, k who's the accessory after the fact", etc

spend around ~25 minutes on MC

dim-sims

HSC
multiple choice is stupid; my teacher said the average mark was like 11 or 13 (can't remember). They are going to be mainly those identify dot points like "this robbery scenario happened, k who's the accessory after the fact", etc

spend around ~25 minutes on MC
My teacher thinks the MC section are where you can get the most free marks. Needless to say he was pretty disappointed with how I went in that section :S

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
My teacher thinks the MC section are where you can get the most free marks. Needless to say he was pretty disappointed with how I went in that section :S
hmmm; yes and no. If you know some of your prelim stuff && crime then it is give away marks otherwise it is better to get marks in the essays

nishi4000

HSC
Also, it's not called DOCS any more it's called Department of Family and Community Services (FACS).

I could've provided stats where you said so but it is universally agreed that alternative methods of resolving disputes are more resource efficient than courts.
get wrekd root

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Will we get slammed if we get caught making up Cases and Media Reports?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
no you won't. HSC markers don't have the time to check if everyone of the cases and media reports are true or not. However do NOT make up laws because they generally have a good sense of them

just put a good effort of making them up properly. nothing like "Why the criminal trial process is bad" (Telegraph, 2014). Something like "Aggressive policing' creating court delays, crime statistics boss says" (SMH, 2014) would be okay

Myans

HSC
To put this to bed;

Media Reports: 99% of the time you will not get caught/penalised for making up newspaper articles and their titles. Do not make up government/law reform commission/parliamentary reports; the markers will most likely know the main reports for each particular syllabus dot point.

Cases: 90% of the time you will not get caught/penalised for making up 'random' cases demonstrating a point of law in action. Do not make up cases and claim them to be 'landmark' cases, or cases which 'fundamentally changed a point of law', because the markers will know it's bullshit. Do not make up a case in situations where it is expected you name the landmark case e.g. R v LMW 1999 for Doli Incapax, Re Evelyn 1998 for Surrogacy.

Legislation/International Instruments: NEVER make these up. Know them - including date and jurisdiction - like you know your student number.

Pro tips: From experience, making up cases and media reports can actually take LONGER in the exam than writing out actual media reports and cases that you have prepared and memorised. You have had a full year to find evidence for your arguments - surely enough time.

zs

HSC
Anyone got some advice for world order? it's the only one I'm struggling with tbh

Tink

HSC
Ah, I like this thread.

A girl in the 2013 legal class at my school made up a lot of her media reports, still scored decently. So, #yolo there.

invalidvalidity

HSC
Question: How exactly do I study for themes and challenges? I just can't seem to wrap my head around preparing an eloquent and detailed response based on some notes made by my teacher for each T&C. Would memorising essays be worth it? Also, to what extent do you have to incorporate contemporary issues in both family law and world order? For those who do family law, I know that I can just talk about a couple right? But with world order I'm confused as to if a particular question is centred around one issue, must you mention the others as well? Sorry for the dumb question. I'm just struggling with T&C stuff right now.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Question: How exactly do I study for themes and challenges? I just can't seem to wrap my head around preparing an eloquent and detailed response based on some notes made by my teacher for each T&C.
the same way you study for the actual for points. keep in mind they're just themes so in crime there is discretion so you look at the crime dotpoints that reflect that and talk about those things

Would memorising essays be worth it?
for legal studies; NO!

Also, to what extent do you have to incorporate contemporary issues in both family law and world order? For those who do family law, I know that I can just talk about a couple right? But with world order I'm confused as to if a particular question is centred around one issue, must you mention the others as well?
for your essays you for 90% of the time will be talking about your contemporary issues (nothing is really asked out of the "nature" of it). You should be aiming to have a few ideas and key issues in your essay

enoilgam

HSC
To put this to bed;

Media Reports: 99% of the time you will not get caught/penalised for making up newspaper articles and their titles. Do not make up government/law reform commission/parliamentary reports; the markers will most likely know the main reports for each particular syllabus dot point.

Cases: 90% of the time you will not get caught/penalised for making up 'random' cases demonstrating a point of law in action. Do not make up cases and claim them to be 'landmark' cases, or cases which 'fundamentally changed a point of law', because the markers will know it's bullshit. Do not make up a case in situations where it is expected you name the landmark case e.g. R v LMW 1999 for Doli Incapax, Re Evelyn 1998 for Surrogacy.

Legislation/International Instruments: NEVER make these up. Know them - including date and jurisdiction - like you know your student number.
This pretty much - if you are smart with it, then chances are you wont get caught. To be honest though, even if markers know you are making them up, they wont really mark you down for it. The markers want to know that you understand the law and can evaluate it - they aren't really interested in your ability to memorise. Also, there is the "human factor" to consider - marking is a tedious process and markers have lives (and families). The process of flagging someone for cheating is long and I'd imagine that markers probably couldnt be bothered calling every suspected cheater out. I mean, look at the statistics - less than 20 people per year get done for cheating on the HSC out of 70,000. If the number was really that low I'd be stunned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)