The logic behind having rank orders and internal marks affect your hsc.. (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You are NOT given the mark of the equal ranked exam mark at all.

Except for 1st and last the rest on the internal marks are determined by the rank and the relative gaps between you and those students around you according to the school and you always keep your own exam mark.

Your internal mark will be one that reflects the gaps between you and the 39th person. If the school sent you in 1 mark behind that person you will stay one mark behind that person even though the 40th exam rank might be 10 marks behind.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What, do you think it should be 100% on the HSC.

I think the rank system ensures consistent work through the year, and some people do much better in assignments/practicals and their merits there need to be recognised in subjects.

queenkeira

HSC
If you do a TVET course, your marks are 100% based upon the HSC exam. It definitely increases stress levels like crazy and while I don't particularly like the system now, it is definitely better than having the HSC exam count for 100% of your final marks.

enoilgam

HSC
No I agree wholeheartedly with the ranks system. With it, it rewards consistent performance across the year and yes people are stressed now but if 100% of your mark counted JUST from the exam, and you had a one-off bad day, then you would be punished so basly for it which would render the system unfair and people would be HEAPS more stressed.
This pretty much - yes, the current system isnt perfect but I think it's far more fair than one single exam at the end of the year. Added to the fact that the current system prepares you better for uni and the workforce as Trebla stated.

McLovinFanboy

Banned
HSC
This pretty much - yes, the current system isnt perfect but I think it's far more fair than one single exam at the end of the year. Added to the fact that the current system prepares you better for uni and the workforce as Trebla stated.
Can't agree more.

enoilgam

HSC
Too many schools making dodgy exams - my school's ones (especially in Science) gave me the shits.
It's the same deal with uni to be honest. Sometimes you get stuck with lecturers who dont have clue and they can screw you over quite a bit. There isnt much you can do then either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)