The Mathew Johns Sex scandal. (2 Viewers)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Here's the article:

NRL clubs must lift their game

Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Maxine McKew

May 15, 2009 12:00am

IT'S all too depressingly familiar, isn't it? Another NRL sex scandal and all parties take the well-thumbed crisis management manual off the shelf and put us through a predictable ritual.

First, the CEO fronts the media to say that this will never happen again. We're reassured that the culture of the clubs will change.

With media blood-lust fuelled by prurient interest, the hunt is on for an individual scapegoat.

This time it's Matthew Johns. He's pursued through airports by a media posse thirsty for more salacious lines about group sex.

By week's end, Channel 9 knows that its own brand is being trashed so Johns' contract with the network is shelved.

Johns fronts up for the cameras with his wife Trish, who is standing by her man.

With a stony face, Matthew Johns tells A Current Affair's Tracy Grimshaw that he has lived with the guilt of this event for some time.

He then undoes his show of remorse by insisting that the young woman concerned was a "willing participant".

The line sounds rather like that other plea of the scandalised: "I've done nothing illegal."

Those involved maintain that the sex was consensual and no charges were laid. But frankly it is bewildering to me that there can still be some confusion about the issue of consent. How can saying yes to one man be construed as saying yes to five more?

Others are rightly querying how it would be possible for a 19-year-old woman to be capable of consenting under the circumstances.

Trish Johns got to the heart of it when she said, simply, "I wouldn't want it to be my daughter."

With her words and her expression, we finally got a bit of humanity into this tawdry saga.

Those at the centre of these scandals nearly always disassociate themselves from their victims.

They conveniently ignore the fact that their club culture degrades someone's daughter, someone's sister, someone's girlfriend.

There are two fundamental issues for me - respect for women and personal responsibility.

If Matthew Johns or any of his other mates who were in that room in Christchurch back in 2002 had had a bit of respect, either for themselves, their own families or, most importantly, for the woman who was with them, they would not be the objects of present- day vilification.

Equally, the shadow of Johns' unreconstructed Footy Show alter-ego Reg Reagan has not been lost on many observers. As his website proclaims: "To his billions of fans Reg Reagan typifies some uniquely Australian values - he loves a beer or 20 and is a self-confessed ladies' man."

Are these the same values that lead to one in five Australian women being a victim of sexual violence during their lifetime? (And that is just the reported cases).

It's a compelling coincidence that Reg's comic career took off in 2002, the same year of that fateful night in Christchurch.

Reg Reagan's character clearly resonated with a lot of people. His Music DVD went platinum when it was released in 2004.

The Rudd Government is determined to improve the lives and status of Australian women.

Our position on domestic violence and sexual assault is one of zero tolerance - one victim of violence is one too many.

My hard-working colleague and Status of Women Minister Tanya Plibersek is developing a National Plan to Reduce Violence against Women.

Last month she announced $9 million in federal funding for respectful relationships programs, as part of a $26 million investment in primary prevention activities.

These programs will aim to reach up to 8000 young people over a period of five years.

In the meantime, here's some advice to those who still don't know what the fuss is about.

Replay those comments of Trish Johns on ACA over and over again, until you get it.

It's time for clubs and players to lift their game when it comes to respect for women.

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
This
is
not
about
attitudes
towards
women

footy players are yobbo's to everyone - man, woman, or dog.

fuk me
(no not you andrew johns! Ahhhhh!)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I am NOT, NOT, NOT sorry for what I did
fUCK THIS SHIT ABOUT ATTITUDES TOWARDS WOMEN

If these silly sluts didn't throw themselves willingly at these dudes, there wouldn't be sex scandals.

If you have the IQ of a brick and some sluts want to have sex with you because you're famous, of course you're going to fuck chicks and send them home.

Women will only get respect if they pull up their socks and start acting like respectable women. Sleeping with football players so you can tell your friends is every bit slutty as it can get, if you don't want to be treated like uncovered meat, stop fucking acting like it.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Nah but I think half the problem is when these chicks do decide that they've regretted it, and then make it public, it's always the guys fault.

How does that work. Why on one hand are we willing to be ball busting bitches (yay feminism), but as soon as we have to take responsibility for our actions, we're ready to play the victim.

HSC
Wasnt she gloating about the fact that she got fucked around like a doll by "Australian" rugby players?
Go suck a horse cock you filthy fucking animal.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
tbh I don't think Johns should have done the whole deep regret thing on ACA. Would have been awesome if he simply said:

I am not sorry for what I have done.

I'm not repentant.

I'm not contrite!
"Do you think that girl enjoyed it when you molested her Matthew?"
"Yes she did!"

Zrap

glock9
HSC
The woman should have just lay still while Matty Johns fucked her, it's common knowledge that thrashing around and screaming only attracts other sharks

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Four corners is the epitome of investigative journalism. Just look at the Phuong Ngo story.

Johns has been made a scapegoat for the actions of a promiscuous woman. Trial by media at its worst. We have a man condemned and a career destroyed, from the mere words of another. No evidence of what actually occurred; whether it was all fully consensual, or whether she was discarded upon its conclusion.

I cannot fathom how a consensual act, between a number of adults with their mental faculties in order, can be considered abuse or degrading, and thus be worthy of ruining someone's career.

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
Imo, half the problem is not these men treating women like sluts, but other women and society in general making women feel dirty and cheap for being promiscuous.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a woman sleeping around, or having sex with a group of men. The reason she regrets it so much is probably because it is so frowned upon, for no apparent reason.
i suggest this is a biological response. humans favour monogamy and not degenerate sexual behaviour.

WELL WOT OTHER EXPLANATION IS THERE HMM!?!??!?

mebbe they all are in love with this woman and hence they try to make her feel bad?
mmm!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)