The more i hear about f' ups... (1 Viewer)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
by the way, I like your avatar. bach right? are you by any chance into 'shred' guitar... I walk on thin ice mentioning anything closely related to virtuosity on a normal-people forum.

EDIT- directed at theodopolis.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
The Savage God said:
Allow me to inject a little perspective.

The HSC as a system is fatally flawed in that it does not accurately represent a student's abilities in a subject across the board. Doing well in it does not make you superior in any way.

The HSC and its results does not dictate the entirety of your life. It is simply a hoop to jump through like performing animals so that we can.

This man knows what's up.

Enjoy your desk job for the next 50 years, day in day out, looking forward to that long service leave. Have fun Pig-dogs.

FreakTrigger

HSC
N/A
I love it too...

I nailed the two advanced english tests unbelievably well, in addition to the fact that I wouldn't be surprised if the average bored of studies member is ever so slightly more studious than the average student, it's adding up to one fantastic situation...

Theodopolis

HSC
fleepbasding said:
by the way, I like your avatar. bach right? are you by any chance into 'shred' guitar... I walk on thin ice mentioning anything closely related to virtuosity on a normal-people forum.

EDIT- directed at theodopolis.

Thank-you. I like it too... Came across the image and was on the floor laughing.
The unadulterated version is hanging over my piano.

I'm afraid I know a lot more about Bach than I do about guitar.
However, I do believe the image sums up the concept of Neo-Classical guitar perfectly.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Completely OT, I hate shred. Wow, Yngwie, you can play a really fast harmonic minor scale. Cool. Oh, there it is again.

Vai can produce some cool stuff, though, as can Satch. Yngwie's just a tool. :D

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Asheroth said:
Completely OT, I hate shred. Wow, Yngwie, you can play a really fast harmonic minor scale. Cool. Oh, there it is again.

Vai can produce some cool stuff, though, as can Satch. Yngwie's just a tool. :D
I prefer Vai to (my favorite guitarist), though I find Satch gets a little boring. I enjoy some Yngwie, I love his skills. Though half the enjoyment is the humour created just because he is such a wanker-same-solo-every-song sort of dude. I don't think he's the most representative of neo-classical guitar in a way... I mean he was the "first" but I enjoy Bach as a challenge and manage to avoid 3-note per string harmonic minor solos (although harmonic minor must be about the coolest thing in music). What I mean is that Yngwie and his antics shouldn't turn an electric guitarist off classical/neo-classical.

HSC
It's just so cool to shit on Yngwie isn't it?

Seriously, every single time Yngwie gets mentioned anywhere it's always followed by a "HE ALWAYS JUST DOES THE SAME HARMONIC MINOR LICK!!!" retarded, redundant and irritating comment.

The guys a great guitarist and deserves to be paid more respect. I'm not personally a huge fan of his music, but he has written some GREAT songs:

Far Beyond the Sun
Molto Arpeggioso
Black Star
Blitzkrieg

The guy has killer chops, amazing tone, truley unique and identyfiable style. He has been one of the key proponents for furthering interest in technical guitar and is a huge inspiration behind alot of shred and progressive metal out there today.

Shit on Yngwie again, and I'LL RELEASE THE FJ00KING FJ00RY!!!!

Vai?

Fucking boring.

Vai is a guitar revolutionary and a unique player. But the guy has shit taste. He's written some excellent songs - For the Love of God, Tender Surrender, Boy From Seattle, The Crying Machine etc..

But so much of his stuff is crap. He just doesn't write great music. His playing is over the top, it lacks subtlety. His tone is thin and annoyingly ear piercing. He can't get his fucking hand off his whammy bar. He only gets through half of his legato licks because of his sustainer.

And everyone takes the shit out of Yngwie for repeating licks... Vai does it at least as much.

Ever notice how EVERY SINGLE ONE OF VAI'S TAPPING LICKS ARE THE SAME?

His sweeps are ALWAYS THE SAME.

He does this same irritating lick all the time, on the Astoria DVD he does it in "The Animal" and he does it in Crying Machine as well I think, if I recall correctly.

His whammy bar tricks get annoying.

His games with feedback are irritating.

His tone is unnatural, processed and thin.

His improvising is very sub-par.

HE CANNOT DO A GOOD HENDRIX COVER AT ALL AND SHOULD STOP TRYING!

Satch is pretty cool. The guy can write songs well and is a master of melody. He has written some great melodies in his time - Always with Me Always with You, Untill We Say Goodbye, Flying in a Blue Dream etc..

However, I find his music dull. It lacks interest. It's just straightforward rock/blues every song.

Satch is a great improviser.. Watch the G3 DVDs, either of them, and you'll see he improvises far better solos than Vai, Malmsteen or Johnson (who is a good guitarist, but completely lacks stage prescence. What control of tone though!). His solos have structure, themes and melody.

Satch repeats his licks so much as well. That annoying plectrum-tapping he does every second song? Those boring pentatonic minor licks that get ripped out at every oppurtunity? The legato runs with the stop-start rhythm? Repetitive much?

If you want to hear some neoclassical shred that isn't Yngwie definately check out Vinnie Moore, you can't afford not to. Vinnie is an amazing guitarist, great tone, great licks, great songs. Jason Becker is also great if neoclassical is your thing.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Perfect Element said:
It's just so cool to shit on Yngwie isn't it?

Seriously, every single time Yngwie gets mentioned anywhere it's always followed by a "HE ALWAYS JUST DOES THE SAME HARMONIC MINOR LICK!!!" retarded, redundant and irritating comment.

The guys a great guitarist and deserves to be paid more respect. I'm not personally a huge fan of his music, but he has written some GREAT songs:

Far Beyond the Sun
Molto Arpeggioso
Black Star
Blitzkrieg

The guy has killer chops, amazing tone, truley unique and identyfiable style. He has been one of the key proponents for furthering interest in technical guitar and is a huge inspiration behind alot of shred and progressive metal out there today.

Shit on Yngwie again, and I'LL RELEASE THE FJ00KING FJ00RY!!!!

Vai?

Fucking boring.

Vai is a guitar revolutionary and a unique player. But the guy has shit taste. He's written some excellent songs - For the Love of God, Tender Surrender, Boy From Seattle, The Crying Machine etc..

But so much of his stuff is crap. He just doesn't write great music. His playing is over the top, it lacks subtlety. His tone is thin and annoyingly ear piercing. He can't get his fucking hand off his whammy bar. He only gets through half of his legato licks because of his sustainer.

And everyone takes the shit out of Yngwie for repeating licks... Vai does it at least as much.

His sweeps are ALWAYS THE SAME.

He does this same irritating lick all the time, on the Astoria DVD he does it in "The Animal" and he does it in Crying Machine as well I think, if I recall correctly.

His whammy bar tricks get annoying.

His games with feedback are irritating.

His tone is unnatural, processed and thin.

His improvising is very sub-par.

HE CANNOT DO A GOOD HENDRIX COVER AT ALL AND SHOULD STOP TRYING!

Satch is pretty cool. The guy can write songs well and is a master of melody. He has written some great melodies in his time - Always with Me Always with You, Untill We Say Goodbye, Flying in a Blue Dream etc..

However, I find his music dull. It lacks interest. It's just straightforward rock/blues every song.

Satch is a great improviser.. Watch the G3 DVDs, either of them, and you'll see he improvises far better solos than Vai, Malmsteen or Johnson (who is a good guitarist, but completely lacks stage prescence. What control of tone though!). His solos have structure, themes and melody.

Satch repeats his licks so much as well. That annoying plectrum-tapping he does every second song? Those boring pentatonic minor licks that get ripped out at every oppurtunity? The legato runs with the stop-start rhythm? Repetitive much?

If you want to hear some neoclassical shred that isn't Yngwie definately check out Vinnie Moore, you can't afford not to. Vinnie is an amazing guitarist, great tone, great licks, great songs. Jason Becker is also great if neoclassical is your thing.
ha ha, well it's good to see someone who appreciates Yngwie. I actually quite like Yngwie and he is derfintely one of my favorite guitarists both in personality and playing. But likewise, there is a repetitiveness to his entire catalogue, in terms of soloing and such chronic use of E minor (natural and harmonic). His heavy usage of harmonic minor (and E key sig) is surely a valid comment and a slight detraction... I mean, it depends on tastes really, but I would like him to try something a bit different. Vai I like because I find that his songs don't fall into this predictability, and he's a constantly evoloving song-writer. Some of his songs I don't like much at all, but generally I think he's pretty damn good. I'm not sure of his latest album though, I haven't bought it but the samples I've heard leave me uncertain. I agree that his whammy bar usage and feedback adventures are irritating, but I wouldn't call his tone "thin"... un-natural sure, but I somehow doubt he was aiming for a "natural" tone. Yeah, I know his solo's can use similar techniques but are no comparison to the Malmsteens repetivity. Regardless I love them both and enjoy listening to both of them.

I have G3 DVD's (96 and 03). Yes Satches solos are nice and have better melodys than the rest. His skills seem a little elementary though, not that it should matter. His bands (especially G3 96) are very uncool.

Eric Johnson is one of my favorite guitarists and songwriters. I've come to prefer him over the other Vai and Satch.

I've listened to a fair bit of Jason Becker, I'll look out for Vinnie Moore. Neo-classical really isn't at the centre of my repetiore, I'm not fast enough for a start. It's more of a listening interest.

HSC
I suppose when I mentioned Vai's tone as thin and processed I should have specified that I meant his recent tone. As in, since he's been using Carvin Legacys. His Bogner tone's aren't great, but hey - anything coming out of a Bogner is going to sound at least pretty good.

He doesn't have that thick presence in his lead tone that you hear in say.. Petrucci. Or that balls to the wall rock tone you hear with Satch. It's just this slippery, kinda thin, lime green tone.. yuck.

Compare his tone from FtLoG on G3 96 with Astoria. It's remarkable.

Yngwie's tone is very natural and quite thick. Vintage strats with thin strings but VERY HIGH ACTION into Marshalls. Simple, effective.

Yngwie has vibrato that I think only Michael J. Fox could match.

Satch's skills are no where near the likes of Yngwie and Vai - but that's not really the point, he's a rock/blues man not a shred dude.

I don't play neoclassical either, my chops are nowhere near up to standard. I can legato and tap well enough to handle most Vai/Satch type stuff, but I've always had difficulties with my picking hand - my picking and sweeping is atrocious.

So what do you play? Both equipment and music wise?

Some other great guitarists to check out btw: Bumblefoot (most unique guitarist you'll ever hear), Chris Brooks (Aussie guy, just finished 2 years of lessons with him, he's amazing) and Brett Garsed.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Perfect Element said:
I suppose when I mentioned Vai's tone as thin and processed I should have specified that I meant his recent tone. As in, since he's been using Carvin Legacys. His Bogner tone's aren't great, but hey - anything coming out of a Bogner is going to sound at least pretty good.

He doesn't have that thick presence in his lead tone that you hear in say.. Petrucci. Or that balls to the wall rock tone you hear with Satch. It's just this slippery, kinda thin, lime green tone.. yuck.

Compare his tone from FtLoG on G3 96 with Astoria. It's remarkable.

Yngwie's tone is very natural and quite thick. Vintage strats with thin strings but VERY HIGH ACTION into Marshalls. Simple, effective.

Satch's skills are no where near the likes of Yngwie and Vai - but that's not really the point, he's a rock/blues man not a shred dude.

I don't play neoclassical either, my chops are nowhere near up to standard. I can legato and tap well enough to handle most Vai/Satch type stuff, but I've always had difficulties with my picking hand - my picking and sweeping is atrocious.

So what do you play? Both equipment and music wise?

Some other great guitarists to check out btw: Bumblefoot (most unique guitarist you'll ever hear), Chris Brooks (Aussie guy, just finished 2 years of lessons with him, he's amazing) and Brett Garsed.
I haven't seen Astoria so yeah, I'm not particuarly up to the times on Vai and his tone. Oh yeah, Yngwies tone is very nice. Of course the scalloped frets are part of it too. Michael J Fox? Back to the Future?

I play an Ibanez GRX cruddy thing(cheapo but not too nasty- easy to play) but more often a Fender Heartfield... you know Heartfield? If you do, I won't bother explaining their (practically unknown) history. Suffice to say, they were made in one of Japans good Ibanez factory's commisioned by Fender in early 90's trying to break into shred guitar player market sort of thing. It is a fairly good guitar- floating tremolo (a bitch, the action on it's fucked up at the moment and I really don't know how to fix it properly without screwing up everythingelse like the intonation etc). I play through a peavy rage, the shite amps you get with Ibanez starter packs... it's total piece of shat but I have no money and an allergic reaction to menial and mindless work.

Due to HSC (bastards) guitar has lost it's priority... I haven't been getting lessons. my skills have been in decline and I'm developing a plethora of bad playing habits. post-HSC I plan to get serious about my playing. I play blues rockish stuff I guess? Not exclusively though... no, no... ahhh I just sort of... jesus, I guess I like to be pretty eclectic. funk (rhythm hand is fairly unco though), pseudo-shredish shit, "pop" (my own idea of pop that will one day make me money... that is the plan anyway), blues... ahhh, I don't know pretty bastardized, heavy metalish stuff... at the moment mostly just mucking around wankery with minor pentatonic on overdrive trying to get a good not-too--over-the-top soloing style. use all scales and try to incorporate chromtaic notes here and there (always the same ones due to lack of extending myself due to HSC), trying to gain some of the subtlety and class of knopfler, trying not to become steeped in guitars "glory days". I actaully have very little repetoire, I know a lot of riffs but can't play many complete songs. I compose most of the music I play these days. composing is my favorite thing.

Heard a little bumblefoot, very original indeed. Now I want a fretless electric! Brett Garsed I've heard too, seen a guitar lesson video by him. He's very impressive, certainly provides a good appegio style for those of us that can't sweep-pick properly. Chris Brooks hey? I'll keep an eye out. I also like Macalpine (Tony?), paul gilbert, and in a category of his own, ZAPPA! ha ha... I'd say if you want to further discuss shit email me at mattjsanderson@gmail.com... I think people may find it a little annoying to have all this guitar talk in the english forum.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
fleepbasding said:
the people who complain ussually have higher standards than you. So they still end up getting better marks even though they don't feel as good about it.

To the original poster and all the others who think they are so good, we'll just see when the HSC results come out.
hahaha, yeh true. When i came out of english all these ppl were saying how it was the best exam possible. i was like, ok..., but ur aiming to pass. That's not really hard...

Theodopolis

HSC
Perfect Element said:

... or Muhammed Ali?

(Wow, I should really go to bed.)

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
I don't really like any shred, but to me, Yngwie is the lowest of the low.

Personally I can't stand his tone and I can't see how anyone could like it, but that's your opinion and I won't rip on it...too much. :D

The man is sloppy. The reason he plays as fast as he does is because he doesn't hit all his notes cleanly.

He seems to be incapable of sensing the overall feel of a certain section of a jam song and responding correctly. In the G3 DVD that I've got, they do Little Wing, which is pretty cool...Vai and Satch recognise that the song's reached a toned-down section, and respond with their soloing as a result of that realisation. I'll give you one guess what Yngwie does...

I just find him boring. Little to no variety. Someone should hand him a guitar with seven frets and force him to write an album with it. I'd definitely listen to the result...

I agree that both Vai and Satch should throw away their whammy bars...

Come on. If you want me to stop generalising, at least pay me the same respect.

Egronk said:
...the happier i get.

It seems there are a whole lotta people who either fucked their English by not doing enough poems or speeches or whatever, and according to this website about 1/3rd of people didn't finish.

If that's my competition for the HSC, I'm sweet.
Aren't you evil Egronk? I like you, lets be friends, :)

HSC
Asheroth said:
I don't really like any shred, but to me, Yngwie is the lowest of the low.

Personally I can't stand his tone and I can't see how anyone could like it, but that's your opinion and I won't rip on it...too much. :D

The man is sloppy. The reason he plays as fast as he does is because he doesn't hit all his notes cleanly.

He seems to be incapable of sensing the overall feel of a certain section of a jam song and responding correctly. In the G3 DVD that I've got, they do Little Wing, which is pretty cool...Vai and Satch recognise that the song's reached a toned-down section, and respond with their soloing as a result of that realisation. I'll give you one guess what Yngwie does...

I just find him boring. Little to no variety. Someone should hand him a guitar with seven frets and force him to write an album with it. I'd definitely listen to the result...

I agree that both Vai and Satch should throw away their whammy bars...

Come on. If you want me to stop generalising, at least pay me the same respect.

I've really, never, ever heard anyone call Yngwie sloppy :| Especially in the context of comparing the relative merits of his playing as well as Vai and Satch's.

If he sounds abit sloppy, it may be because he has this weird picking technique of using economy picking when ascending and alternate picking when descending (I think, may be the other way round), but I really can't see how you'd find him sloppy.

I agree on the Little Wing comment, I guess.. But Yngwie is not a classic rock/blues guitarist, I can't see why you would chuck a neoclassical shred guitarist into that genre and then wonder why he doesn't sound great. I mean, I wouldn't except John Williams or Pat Metheny to rip out an awesome metal solo.

And in my opinion, it's kind of a moot point considering how Vai absoloutely butchers Hendrix every time he tries to play him. Satch can do it pretty well though.

Also, it wasn't that I wanted you to stop generalising. I wanted you to realise that the same generalisations can be made about many other guitarists and that you're giving Yngwie more shit than he deserves by only ripping on him for repeating stuff.

Go listen to "Far Beyond the Sun" or "Molto Arpeggiosa" one more time, seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)