The MQ Get Healthy/Study Thread (1 Viewer)

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
Re: The MQ weightloss/marks gain Support Thread!

apparently carmen electra aerobic striptease dvd is really good and fun.
but its carmen electra and striptease.. hummm

my fingers overlap around my wrist and i have "fat" or bulky uppper arms too :(

HSC
N/A

SuGa BunI =D said:
apparently carmen electra aerobic striptease dvd is really good and fun.
but its carmen electra and striptease.. hummm

my finters overlap around my wrist and i have "fat" or bulky uppper arms too :9
I've heard that the PoleStars pole-dancing course is good and fun too... and I'm actually being serious here :eek: Apparently it's REALLY good for the abs. A friend asked me to do a 6-week course with her last year, but it clashed with another dance class I was doing... :(

If you want something "safe" that still works you out a bit, try a bellydancing video. It will concentrate mostly on the abdominals, but is still very fun :) If you want to have a more intense session, just do the exercises at twice the speed :D

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC

im lazy, don’t have a lots of time and not very motivated… so joing a full course like polestars might be a little bit hard! ( i make up every excuses under the sun so i dont have to join anything :p)

i've tried belly dancing and love it :D but at twice the speed? i would break in half like goldie hawn in dead becomes her :p

*hopeful*

HSC

hahah i liked dat movie

yeh im sooooooo not motivated enuf + 2 lazy

IAmNotFat

fortunately, in a house and not a gutter. near en
HSC

here it is!! the Thread I've been looking for all my time at BOS

1) How many kilos (approx) to get down to ideal weight?
well...I need to put on weight. I need to chop these arms down, and get some back muscle on to support my neck. (see photo on left)

2) Reasons for being at current state
isn't it clear? (again, look left)

3) Why I want to loose weight
it's too expensive to eat this stuff every day...and I don't like having to book 2 seats when I fly.

4) How I plan to loose weight
mostly by studyuing harder, and using my brain more. Hence, I'll be using more energy, burning excess stores on my thighs, arms and buttocks.

5) Subjects being studied at MQ (for potential studdybuddy purposes)
I'm the kid that takes up 2 seats in BBA203, BBA301, doesn't go to my ACCG253 lectures and takes up 3 seats in the rediculously cramped theatres in the top of E7B, where I learn all kinds of 237 mathematics

6) Academic goals
to get marked more than 2.8 standard deviations from the mean for all subjects. above or below.

7) How I plan to get my marks up
more thinking...less weight. and more playing drums.

Thankyou. For your support.
The Jai.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC

Hey guys I just came from the gym and did 10k's on the cross trainer! with 850 calories burnt! :D whoo hooo go me... it still doesn't account for the fried chicken i ate last night but mehhh whatever :D

I am now going to start researching for psy307 and then maybe goto uni later on and read and do the SPSS stuff required for it :)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC

hey glitter seems to me your doing awsome so far :D Keep up the good work! Ohh and i hope your injury gets better soon :( sounds painful

and Pb wow that many sit ups.. lol i don't really do sit ups anymore hahaha only coz even if they do get toned and stuff, who's going to see my "six pack" under the flab.

I know I probably should thoug can anyone give me reason/motivation why i should incorporate doing sit ups into my work out again even though i've still got a flab on my stomache?

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC

coffee is my friend. Keeps me awake and stops me from getting hungry :0)

aren't i healthy ;)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC

*~Dazed~* said:
coffee is my friend. Keeps me awake and stops me from getting hungry :0)

aren't i healthy ;)
LOL omg i do this too! well late at nights, instead of getting up to goto the fridge... i do starjumps and then go get coffee lol

HSC
N/A

clairegirl said:
hey glitter seems to me your doing awsome so far :D Keep up the good work! Ohh and i hope your injury gets better soon :( sounds painful

and Pb wow that many sit ups.. lol i don't really do sit ups anymore hahaha only coz even if they do get toned and stuff, who's going to see my "six pack" under the flab.

I know I probably should thoug can anyone give me reason/motivation why i should incorporate doing sit ups into my work out again even though i've still got a flab on my stomache?
Once upon a time - for a brief period of time - I was doing 120 situps a night. Ces't blah, I'm not a huge fan of situps because there's such a huge potential to do them wrong/cheat.

clairegirl (or is it anne?), you have asked the magic question! :D *puts on dance teacher hat*

Abs are far more central to movement than most people realise - they're also slightly lower than a lot of people assume (ie they're underneath your bellybutton). Some will argue that since it's all one long muscle there's no point in differentiating between "abdominals/lower abdominals" and "stomach muscles", but I say there is - it's so easy to work one and not work the other.

Abs are useful in a number of different ways - they aid in posture, childbirth, act as your centre of gravity... they're also one of those muscles people are supposed to rely on. Much the same way people overuse their lateral quads instead of their VMO, many people tend to overwork their back muscles to overcomensate for weak abdominals. This can lead to a number of injuries such as slipping discs etc...

Abdominal muscles as mentioned above act as your centre of gravity. When trained well you can actually use them to stop you falling over/lessen the impact of the fall, and you can also use them to sort of help 'support' your weight... I don't know how clear this is but I know that if I'm a little lax on my ab workouts, my knees are sure to feel it because of the "extra weight". It's not something the scales will show, but it's a significant change that is noticable over time.

There are a bunch of other cool things the abs do, but I can't really type them up... much better at demonstrating :( But definately don't underestimate the value of abs! Aside from the heart, they could be one of the most important muscles in the entire body!

I'd like to state for the record that I have a tummy, and my six-pack has never seen the light of day :p But I still work on it because I know it's good for me!

HSC
N/A

SuGa BunI =D said:
im lazy, don’t have a lots of time and not very motivated… so joing a full course like polestars might be a little bit hard! ( i make up every excuses under the sun so i dont have to join anything :p)

i've tried belly dancing and love it :D but at twice the speed? i would break in half like goldie hawn in dead becomes her :p
Hahaha!

In regards to doing things fast, it takes a combination of control, muscle awareness, co-ordination and a certain amount of "what the hell, I'll do it!" attitude. Remember that a lot of bellydancing is quite fluid, and that you're not going to 'break' anything. But you definately want to get the same amount of movement in half the time. :)

Jai - studying alone isn't going to help you loose weight, dear :p Particularly if you want to work on your muscles, you are definatley going to have to 'get physical' :p

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC

Hey glitter,

Hrrm great reason! I shall incorporate some sit ups into tommorows workout :) thanx for that hun :)

Ohhh pb, i heard if you more sit ups than your used to and u dont build up to it, you can get hernia lol

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

So any fellas want to take up deathmatch chess ?

schmogirl

HSC
N/A

hey anybody else suffer from drastic PMS weight gain?

seems i am one of those unlucky ones who gains 2-3kg every period including the days leading up to it....too much info I know! but it is depressing when you hop on the scales and find you've put on 3kg OVERNIGHT!!!! damned fluid retention!!

thankfully for me as has been the case every other period those 3kg disappear when the period does....

i swear every month I forget this happens and end up so down....but i have now decided i am not going to weigh myself around that time of the month and even though i know those 3kgs will appear (and disappear) i will just delude myself that it's not happening and that i'm still tracking well....

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC

schmogirl said:

seems i am one of those unlucky ones who gains 2-3kg every period including the days leading up to it....too much info I know! but it is depressing when you hop on the scales and find you've put on 3kg OVERNIGHT!!!! damned fluid retention!!

thankfully for me as has been the case every other period those 3kg disappear when the period does....

i swear every month I forget this happens and end up so down....but i have now decided i am not going to weigh myself around that time of the month and even though i know those 3kgs will appear (and disappear) i will just delude myself that it's not happening and that i'm still tracking well....
Hey honey it's happened to me!! I gained 2kgs! it just recently happened and i got my period last night.. about a 4-5 days before my monthly visitor... I had suddenly gained 2kgs in 2 days and I was like "Nooooooooo! What happened?!... anyway i was so upset :( and frustrated because i had just reached the 11kg lost mark and I was really happy right.. and then all of a sudden it went back to "9kg lost mark" practically overnight!! *sobs*

I wonder how much I'll weigh after my period, you've got me excited now! hahaha i wanna see how down it goes after my period because i went back to the "11kg lost mark" today :d...

Are you sure the water retention weight is still there during ur period? If sooo whoo hoo im excited *Waits in anticipation for her montly visitor to leave*

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC

schmogirl said:

seems i am one of those unlucky ones who gains 2-3kg every period including the days leading up to it....too much info I know!
yet you continued with the story ....

im fat, i think the reason is i eat too much shit and dont do anything to burn it off. ive got about 2 and half months until i go back to uni and in that time im going to try and get on a diet and do some regular exercise. but before that can happen i need to catch up with friends and get hammered!!! :D

HSC
N/A

clairegirl said:
Hey guys I just came from the gym and did 10k's on the cross trainer! with 850 calories burnt! :D whoo hooo go me... it still doesn't account for the fried chicken i ate last night but mehhh whatever :D

I am now going to start researching for psy307 and then maybe goto uni later on and read and do the SPSS stuff required for it :)
Congratulations girl! I'm so proud of you! I'd never have the discipline to be able to do that! :D

clairegirl said:
Hrrm great reason! I shall incorporate some sit ups into tommorows workout
Those are the words I like to hear! :D

Note: Situps are good, crunches only work the stomach muscles. Make sure your elbows are PARALLEL to the floor to start, and always stay to the sides (so you are not relying on momentum/arm strength. They should NEVER be directly in front of you). Try to lift from your lower abs - definately aim to get your shoulders off the floor (this is the part where your arms will try to sneak in, don't let them!), and if you're feeling adventurous try to lift your entire upper body much like a plank, with the waist/hips sort of acting as a "hinge" (but if you're not able to do that don't worry - it's hard if you're not a guy :)).

If you get bored of the "standard" situp you can try some variants (hahaha, trust me to know these) such as lifting your legs into the air/perpendicular to floor, crossing them, uncrossing them, and better still - and I hear this is the way you're supposed to do situps - doing them with your knees at a 90 degree angle, unsupported or resting on something light like a yoga ball (NOT on something solid like a box. The aim is to make your body work :p)

clairegirl said:
Ohhh pb, i heard if you more sit ups than your used to and u dont build up to it, you can get hernia lol
Doing any kind of exercise in a quanitity that far exceeds your current capabilities (for example, unrealistic things like 1000 situps a night, doing a marathon if you're obese) is always going to be unhealthy. You DO want to push yourself, but not too much (otherwise you can really do a lot of damage). As a rough guide try to do a level of activity you could do every 1-3 days (this includes "resting" time in between training sessions).

PS: Any asthma sufferers should ALWAYS have their puffer on hand when doing cardio-related exercises.

schmogirl said:

I don't know how helpful this is but I have been told that drinking a lot of water and walking tricks the body into thinking it doesn't need to hold onto water weight. :(

I'm lucky and normally only put on a kilo, however my body instantly "curves up" overnight. Whenever I find my lovehandles petitioning to wear a separate garment of their own, I know my period's coming :p

Last edited:

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC

i really want to lose some weight. i feel like i am on the verge of going from thin and healthy - to slowly stacking on the weight so i want to stop it now - daily walks seem to be helping and make me feel much more energised and healthy - however i need to quite snacking ><

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC

Whooo hoo! Join us! Fill in the lil questionaire and participate hunny! We're here for you :D

HSC
N/A

Gah. My SOC assessment is tomorrow - all I have to do is write some stuff on cardboard, memorise my song, and be prepared to ad lib. Easy.

My BBA250 is due on thursday morning, and I am so scared about it I almost can't move. *panics*

Let's expect lots of comfort eating today.

Breakfast - Ham and cheese croissant
Lunch - gnocchi
Dinner - White rice noodle stuff, also a small shepherd's pie

Will update later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)