The necessity to make notes? (1 Viewer)

cs01001

HSC
Hey,

Who makes notes in Word/hardwrite it here? People just tell me to highlight the textbook and do all studying from there, but I find answering syallus dot points to be way more efficient and productive.
Oh, this is for English/Humanities type of subject. Not really sure if it works for Chemistry

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
They're pretty important, I think.

I've always made notes and it was something from year seven study skills classes that I learned. I think it's important to rewrite things in your own words because it reinforces your learning and personally, when I finish a set of notes, and punch holes through them and sort them into folders I get this immense sense of satisfaction. /slightexaggeration.

I've done it for every subject this year and it's been working out well. I would find it rather annoying to lug around textbooks with highlighted sections and whatnot, and with your own notes everything is there, in front of you with easy reference so you don't need to keep flicking back and forth in those massive textbooks. And as you said, for the sciences if you answer dot points directly from the syllabus it seems more efficient, and it is because not only do you have the benefit of checking things off as you've summarised but also a clear indication of what is to come in your exams.

As for the humanities - well I do Modern history and it involves quite a bit of essay/analytical writing so if I have my notes in front of me, I know exactly where my info is and there is no need to tediously sift through textbook after textbook for relevant info. I can see the benefit of having notes for eco, bus and legal because, for example, if you condensed all the statistics relevant to your topics into one page then that saves a lot of time and that time spent head scratching could have been used doing something more useful... say, surfing BOS? hahahaha.

Just my opinion. But they're pretty central to my learning... I use Word by the way, but sometimes I'll summarise my notes even further using my poor, poor hand.

Last edited:

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio's right about the first point- you get (i do anyway) immense satisfaction after finishing a set of notes, so why not do them?

cs01001

HSC
Yeah, well that's what I thought. But my aunt and my sister has been calling me dumb/wasting time/not efficient for summarising/integrating info from various textbooks/internet etc.

You also raised an important point about cross referencing with syllabus.

Thanks mate :)

yosemite sam

HSC
rewriting your own notes from the syllabus has got to be one of the best and most efficient ways to ensure that you have information on everything and are well prepared for exams. so tell your aunt and sistre where they can stick it.

Le3sah

HSC
Well for me, I find making notes a more efficient way of studying. Rather than just highlighting the textbook and reading off that, making personal notes allow me to choose specific parts which are of greater importance and focus more on that.
I don't know, that's just how I study. :)

YAY! Harry Potter in 3 days!!! :rofl:

ms information

Awesome Member
HSC
Making notes is a vital part of learning and it helps heaps when it comes time to study.

Some people think your just wasting your time writting out crap, but if your actually thinking and understanding what your writting it IS helping, and like it was pointed out earlier in this thread you get a feel of acomplishment from doing so.

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
Yeh, you get great satisfaction after completing a set of notes. But what if you can't bring yourself to even start it? :(.

I'm up-to-date with my notes for Economics, since the textbook is pretty much set in a way that it follows the syllabus in an easy to understand format. But say, when it comes to IPT, everything's just all over the place. The textbook is WAY too loaded, even the teacher admitted to it. We skip back and forth, don't go in an at least somewhat logical order, hardly use the textbook, and do prac work for most of our lessons. I'm completely lost in that class even though I'm coming 1st. I'm definitely dropping it for year 12. Should I still make an attempt at starting notes for the yearly exams? :s

Wow, so much rambling. :eek:

But back on topic, I agree with what everyone has said here. I handwrite most of mine since it seems to stick in my head better, but I'm experimenting with typing them up too now. :)

cs01001

HSC
Notes as in really summarizing the textbook, Yeah?

My parents are both illiterate fuckwits who think highlighting is the key and always tell me off for typing up notes. Sigh...

Anyway, if you are coming first, then why drop it?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I really want to make notes (typing them), but when the time comes, I usuallly can't be bothered doing it. It's probabaly a psychological thing - making notes of 20 pages ~ is daunting.

cccclaire

HSC
I hate it when people highlight in text-books.

I make notes for most of my subjects.
Well only really biology and economics.
english I just learn quotes and do essay plans, maths i just do practise questions and I don't write notes for chemistry because I'm lazy and can't be bothered.

but write notes, you learn much better by it.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I've decided to start writing notes. The only problem is that if I write something wrong, my notes are going to be filled with liquid paper :(

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
EDIT : takling about hedkandi.

You don't even know if they're trolling or genuinely retarded anymore, the education system is failing as we speak

Anywyas, I find that I normally make notes 4-5 weeks befor exams, I write it out in full then re-read them right after finishing.

2-3 weeks before I simplify it, using key words and making sub headings, re-reading it again after I'm done

1-2 weeks before exams, i read the notes every 3-4 days without reading my FULL notes i did 4-5 weeks prior to the exam.

You should never ever re-write your notes, unless it's an update of your notes. Once you finish writing them, re-read th em right after, then the next day re-read them again, then the next 3 days re-read them again etc. etc.

You get the point.

cccclaire

HSC
tommykins said:
EDIT : takling about hedkandi.

You don't even know if they're trolling or genuinely retarded anymore, the education system is failing as we speak

Anywyas, I find that I normally make notes 4-5 weeks befor exams, I write it out in full then re-read them right after finishing.

2-3 weeks before I simplify it, using key words and making sub headings, re-reading it again after I'm done

1-2 weeks before exams, i read the notes every 3-4 days without reading my FULL notes i did 4-5 weeks prior to the exam.

You should never ever re-write your notes, unless it's an update of your notes. Once you finish writing them, re-read th em right after, then the next day re-read them again, then the next 3 days re-read them again etc. etc.

You get the point.
See I always tell myself I'll do something like that.
But once you finish them you can't be bothered doing anything for like a week after.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Friends tell me that writing notes makes you memorise the content more.

Dt 08

HSC
Writing is a much better way to interact with what you are studying then reading it

Writing is better also as sometimes some people tend to highlight too much or too little in text books

Dongle

HSC
In my opinion, it's better to use your own judgement depending on time constraints, the difficulty and type of subject, etc.

Note: This was for Yr 11 half-yearlies. Perhaps I'll write notes next year.

Eg: Notes for maths is typically useless, maybe a formula sheet if you wanted to, but doing lots of typical exam questions is the tool to success

Chem - Didn't bother. Spammed textbook - some of them are pretty concise - what's the point of writing out the obvious? Just make sure that you can sustain a logical grasp of the various concepts you're expected to know. Look at one dot point in the syllabus, think of various ways it might manifest in exams by looking at past papers, and then cover it in an appropriate depth (in your head, that is).

Physics - same as chem, though do more typical questions involving calculations

English - Memorise essays, give yourself questions to do on the spot and try to mould your preprepared essay to it within a reasonable time limit.

Hmmmm.....my experience with notes is that it might detract from the efficiency of your study seeing as some people have that perfectionist complex, trying to get every detail correct, squandering time on the computer while more efficient study can be undertaken by just using various textbooks, syllabus and past papers.

Also, there's that situation when once you finish making notes you feel secure and you slack off a bit.....not good.

S.Yong

HSC
I get what cccclaire gets, that feeling of complete laziness after slaving over notes. I know my methods arent always efficient - i'm actually really slow.

But i find that using several textbooks and answering all the syllabus dot points in my own words gives me that structure i need. I'm the type of person who'll forget everything if i read notes from textbooks so handwriting notes is my thing.

By the way, i like the way you study, tommykins. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)