The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
06/07 thread will start when the new season kicks off. Until then there's still plenty of non-WC football to talk about in that thread.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Looks like Josh Kennedy will be our Peter Crouch of the WC, plenty of high balls for him against the Japs!

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Finalised squad for BOS Fantasy Comp:

--------------------------------- Cech ---------------------------------

----- Terry ----- Paulo Ferreira ------ Huth -------- Puyol -------

--------- Deco ---------------- Kaka ------------- Nedved ---------

------- Kezman ------------- Adriano --------- Shevchenko -----

Bench: Vieira

Captain: Deco .. hopefully Portugal run a score up against Angola ..

G.J.I

HSC
Dragons - you obviously lack some soccer experience. Brazil, yes, are clear favourites - only on paper. When they come across a european atmosphere, history has shown that they are not as capable as they seem. By prediction is Germany, and i've put $200 on them winning, and trust me $200 is alot for me.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
G.J.I said:
Dragons - you obviously lack some soccer experience. Brazil, yes, are clear favourites - only on paper. When they come across a european atmosphere, history has shown that they are not as capable as they seem. By prediction is Germany, and i've put $200 on them winning, and trust me $200 is alot for me.
I understand that Germany are the home side...but do you honestly think that they have the talent to go all the way. I don't. I think that Brazil, Agentina, England, Italy, Holland, France, Spain, and Portugal all have more talented
squads than Germany. Maybe it is you that "lacks some soccer experience", G.J.I.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
I just watched the replay of the Australia v Liechtenstein game. We won, but it was very unconvincing indeed. I bet that all you guys who whinged about our performance against Holland now feel pretty stupid. In hindsight, the performance in that game was awesome. Hopefully Guus can fix up some of the remaining problems before the Japan game. We will be up for that one.

HSC
$200 on Germany? I'd be prepared to say goodbye to that money if I were you, Germany don't have the team to win it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the home crowd was a hindrance rather than a help, as it'll put even more pressure on their team

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
G.J.I said:
Hey mate.

Not sure which post of mine you were referring to ..

But for your information, I've played the game ever since I was six years old, played representative football, and pretty much lived and breathed the game for the last 10 years of my life. Unfortunately for me, though, my brother is a better player. He plays for New South Wales.

Anyway, to the part about the World Cup.

History has indeed shown that Brazil aren't as capable in Europe as they have been in South America.

However, history ALSO shows that Brazil are the ONLY team in the world to have ever won a World Cup outside of their native continent. In fact, they have won a World Cup in Europe, North America, South America, and Asia. Every other team to have won a World Cup won it in their own continent (eg Argentina in Argentina and Mexico; Germany in Germany, Switzerland and Italy etc).

History ALSO shows that the Confederations Cup last year, which was played in Germany, was won convincingly by Brazil. They smashed Argentina 4-1 in the Final, in fact.

History ALSO shows that Brazil made the Final of the last World Cup played in Europe. Actually, Brazil have made the past three World Cup Finals .. pretty neat work.

The only way Germany are going to win this tournament is if the referees get paid off. Because apart from Ballack, Podolski and Lehmann, this is possibly the worst German squad of all-time. Once again, they have been gifted a dream run through the group stage. However, unless some freaky things happen, they won't be getting an easy run like they did in Japan/Korea (Paraguay, USA, South Korea).

We'll see what happens. Congratulations to you if Germany do win the thing.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
matt#1 said:
I just watched the replay of the Australia v Liechtenstein game. We won, but it was very unconvincing indeed. I bet that all you guys who whinged about our performance against Holland now feel pretty stupid. In hindsight, the performance in that game was awesome. Hopefully Guus can fix up some of the remaining problems before the Japan game. We will be up for that one.
Why would such people be feeling stupid ?

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
I have a feeling about Spain. I know they are perennial underachievers but watch out for them.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
politik said:
This thread is dying... Everyone should post WC in here and leave that old football thread for dead as the 05/06 season is about over.
Rather, WC here, non-WC there. I figured that was the point of having separate threads, no ?

Trippendicular said:
$200 on Germany? I'd be prepared to say goodbye to that money if I were you, Germany don't have the team to win it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the home crowd was a hindrance rather than a help, as it'll put even more pressure on their team

Yeah, I agree, in that the German 'supporters' would be quite ready to turn on the players' back if things don't go their way in the opening couple of matches. They don't seem particularly impressed by Klinsman either. Oh, and also the Germans don't have the personnel to go as far as they did last time around. Huth and Lehmann ? I think not.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
The only way Germany are going to win this tournament is if the referees get paid off.

Because apart from Ballack, Podolski and Lehmann, this is possibly the worst German squad of all-time.
Yeah, they’ve been working on that whole “buying the referees” thing in the Bundesliga haven’t they. Let’s see if they can go one step further and do it on the international level. Oh, and another step further and not get caught. :cool:

I think it’s highly unfair to Lukas and Michael to have Lens’ name taken in the same breath as theirs’. That’s just uncalled for mate. :D

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Paragon said:
Huth and Lehmann ? I think not.
As much as I hate Lehmann (he is a grade- A cunt)...I have to admit that he did well for Arsenal this season...and was largely responsible for their surprising run the the Champions League final. He is not a weakness for Germany. Its the lack of quality outfield players, other than Ballack, for example (also a major cunt) that will make Germany struggle.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
politik said:
They didnt have the squad to do it in 2002 and they made the final. And lets not forget that home sides always have Fifa and Referees on their side.
Forget Germany. They might have the referees on their side...but what referee is going to be able to stop Cristiano Ronaldo from setting the tournament alight? :) Portugal will win the world cup. Not Germany.

Jimmy_B

HSC
sidney govou replaces cisse in the french squad i heard. figures, domenech is too stubborn to call back giuly, and he has personal problems with anelka and pires especially so they had to with a semi-decent player instead.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
sidney govou replaces cisse in the french squad i heard. figures, domenech is too stubborn to call back giuly, and he has personal problems with anelka and pires especially so they had to with a semi-decent player instead.
Cisse has blistering pace but as a goal-scorer he is only semi-decent himself...so I think that Govou is a decent replacement. Did your brother, HeCtic ,give you heaps when Arsenal beat Tottenham to the final Champions League spot, Jimmy? My brother, too, is an Arsenal supporter...so he gave me hell after that FA Cup final loss. Other than that, no one else really cares about football in my family though. Do you have any other brothers that support football and might frequent this forum in the future, Jimmy? You guys both have exactly the same sense of humour:) .

Jimmy_B

HSC
matt#1 said:
Cisse has blistering pace but as a goal-scorer he is only semi-decent himself...so I think that Govou is a decent replacement. Did your brother, HeCtic ,give you heaps when Arsenal beat Tottenham to the final Champions League spot, Jimmy? My brother, too, is an Arsenal supporter...so he gave me hell after that FA Cup final loss. Other than that, no one else really cares about football in my family though. Do you have any other brothers that support football and might frequent this forum in the future, Jimmy? You guys both have exactly the same sense of humour:) .

i have a much younger brother as well. he's a united "fan", but more of a cricket kid so i doubt he'd bother posting here anytime soon hopefully he's not enough of a geek to trawl forums like i. hectics moved out again recently too if you were intereseted. :)

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Jimmy_B said:
The personal problems with Pires is that Domenech has an aversion to people born under the Scorpion sign.

He is a crackpot.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
DRAGONZ said:
The personal problems with Pires is that Domenech has an aversion to people born under the Scorpion sign.

He is a crackpot.
lol! he really is a crackpot if that is his only problem with Pires. What if he coached Brazil and Ronaldinho was a scorpio. Would he leave him out of his squad? Surely not. That can't be the only reason why he left Pires out. Its just not logical. Then again...either is instead including Boumsong and making Barthez first choice keeper over Coupet.:rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)