The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
Komit said:
I played with Paraguay against England on Pro Evolution 5. If the result is anything to go by, Paraguay should win 4-1. :)
maybe u shouldn't play with the difficulty on 1 star :)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Messi and Ballack both injured. Gerrard possibly also injured. Could I get any luckier?

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Benny_ said:
Messi and Ballack both injured. Gerrard possibly also injured. Could I get any luckier?
I would have chosen bth Messi and Ballack in my team had they not been injured. I have Gerrard in my team too. Hopefully he will play some part in tonight's game though:) .

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
wikiwiki said:
What have you guys placed bets on?

I've bet on Côte d'Ivoire - Argentina to be a draw.

Australia to beat Japan

Brazil to Win World Cup

will place more bets after tonight's matches.

(btw im doing this for the free shirt dont give a shit about actually winning)
I put a tenner on England getting knocked out in the quarters, as I'm assuming they'll be up against Argentina or the Dutchies

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
bazookajoe said:
I put a tenner on England getting knocked out in the quarters, as I'm assuming they'll be up against Argentina or the Dutchies

how much is that paying ?

matt#1

HSC
N/A
I should probably have posted this in the football forum, but Manchester United have apparently reached an agreement with Tottenham for michael Carrick in a deal worth £14 million. I'm still not sure if this is true...but he would probably make a pretty good replacement for Keane...and is much cheaper than Diarra.

Jimmy_B

HSC
matt#1 said:
I should probably have posted this in the football forum, but Manchester United have apparently reached an agreement with Tottenham for michael Carrick in a deal worth £14 million. I'm still not sure if this is true...but he would probably make a pretty good replacement for Keane...and is much cheaper than Diarra.

man united can

FUCK OFF!!!!!!!!!!

johnny_87

HSC
He's good but I don't want him for 14m pds...I'll leave the rest for the footy thread

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
can't wait for monday's game... it'd be awesome if we make it through but i'm also going for japan hahah :eek:

anyone heading out to watch it? my sister'll kill me cos she has school the next day and won't be allowed out, but hey i have to put my green and gold scarf to use!!

matt#1

HSC
N/A
bubz :D said:
can't wait for monday's game... it'd be awesome if we make it through but i'm also going for japan hahah :eek:

anyone heading out to watch it? my sister'll kill me cos she has school the next day and won't be allowed out, but hey i have to put my green and gold scarf to use!!
I have an exam the day after the Australia v Japan game. I'll still watch it...but unfortunately i won't be going out anywhere. I'll be up watching tonight's England v Paraguay match with interest though. If Australia and Portugal can't win the cup...then i hope England does. My prediction for tonight's game: England 2-0 Paraguay. :)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Yep, I'll go along with 2-0 to England. Gerrard and Terry with the goals :p

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
matt#1 said:
If that is in fact for real, I'd say it's a major bargain. Although, I wouldn't buy into it just yet. What's the source by the way ?

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
matt#1 said:
Don't you guys just love the Joga Bonito ad with the old guy telling us that the 'soccerwhos' have no chance against Brazil? Joga Bonito means 'play beautiful' in Portuguese if anyone was interested.
Gotta admit, they’ve grown on me. I prefer the one where Bresciano knocks him over though.

Carnivour said:
To be honest, a pretty pathetic World Cup Opener, I hardly felt any tension. Ofcourse, the game was made only slightly more bearable by a very sexy German in my living room singing the German national anthem with his hand on his heart.
Also, I think Germany has the best motto. "For Germany, through Germany."

Beside Germany, I'm backing Brazil and Portugal. Australia don't have the guts or glory to win.
Opening ceremonies are never attractive as far as football tourneys go. It’s just a semi-decent attempt at showcasing their pyrotechnics and goofy mascots.

Don’t say that about Australia. :mad1:

Constip8edSkunk said:
meh...did a last minute switch transfering klose out and podolski in... great move -_-
Ouch.
Scorching goals from Lahm and Frings though. The aerodynamics of the ball are definitely keeper-unfriendly.

johnny_87

HSC
14m for Carrick a bargain? Maybe for Chelski yes, but not for any other team out there. Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool probably don't have 10 players between them who would realistically fetch 14m pds.

Rooney, Ronaldo, Ruud and Ferdinand.
Henry, Fabregas and Cole
Gerrard and Alonso

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
England 1-0 Paraguay

Probably Lampard to score, if not then Owen

EDIT: Some breaking news, the Togo coach has quit as the players are disagreeing with the Football Assocation about bonuses or something.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
johnny_87 said:
14m for Carrick a bargain? Maybe for Chelski yes, but not for any other team out there. Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool probably don't have 10 players between them who would realistically fetch 14m pds.

Rooney, Ronaldo, Ruud and Ferdinand.
Henry, Fabregas and Cole
Gerrard and Alonso
As if Peter 'the robot' Crouch isn't worth 14m pds? :p

On the topic of Carrick though...the prices of English players are always inflated. I still think that it is reasonably good value though because we would have to pay an extra 10m pds for Diarra- a player whom i've only seen play a few times and untested in the premiership. Carrick is much cheaper and is already proven as a suitable player for the EPL. In addition to Carrick, I would be reasonably satisfied if we can now bring in an offensive midfield player...which will hopefully be Franck Ribery. gudjohnsen is also being looked at though.

C'mon England in 2 hours time! I've already stated that I think the score will be 2-0 but I think the scorers will be Michael Owen and Lampard.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Kodjovi Mawuena has taken over as coach of the Togolese national team after Otto Pfister walked out overnight in a World Cup pay dispute between officials and the squad. At least they have a coach again now :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)