The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (3 Viewers)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Pretty unconvincing from England again so far. Despite comprising of such talented players...the midfield is just not functioning. Unfortunately questions are also raised as to whether Rooney is yet fit enough to play upfront by himself.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
Such a drab half of Football. Hargreaves has been unconvincing at RB, perhaps understandably, being thrown in at this stage.

This half was a classic example of why Rooney should not be considered a 'striker' as such. Fitness or no fitness, it's redundant to put him so high up the pitch.

Terry owes Ashley Cole a warm pint.

Barring Joe Cole, and maybe Carrick, Lennon could replace almost any one of England's midfielders.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
sunjet said:
On the topic of ugly players again Rooney has to be up there.
Perhaps he is not the best looking guy...but his playing style is far from ugly. Players like Ronaldinho and Rooney are so blessed with beautiful natural football skills that it would be unfair if they were to look beautiful as well :) .

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
haha true even donkey ronaldinho > rooney

good strike by beckham, still hate him though.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Becks scores!!!! How skillful are his free kicks? His place on the pitch is justified by this fact alone. I'm very pleased because I will be devestated if at least 1 of either England, Australia or Portugal do not make it through to the quarter finals.

This is further evidence of England's ability to reach their objectives despite not really playing well together as a team.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
I betted $2 on Beckham gettin first goal. I wanted to be on Marquez last night gettin first goal, it paid $41.00 but I didn't bet. Fuck me dead.

On England, they don't win any admirers on such performance. Everyone, except maybe Rooney, played shit. Terry, the so called best defender in the world, had a mediocre game. Lampard don't seem like he knows how to shoot, and Gerrard looked a tired figure. The quality of poor play can be due to the high temperature in Germany, but still, you would expect England to play better.

Now, Portugal Netherlands, hopefully it'll be a beauty. My multibet is relyin on Portugal and of course the Aussies.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Payin odds of 215.77 or somethin, @ $5. Some pretty tough ones to get over though, like Portugal to win in 90mins tonight, Aussies to qualify, Swiss to win in 90 and Spain and France draw in 90.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
England may not win many fans with their 'boring' style of play...but their main objective is not to entertain the fans with aesthetically pleasing football. Their main objective is, of course, to win the World Cup. With each win (no matter how unconvincing)..England are getting closer and closer to reaching their objective.

I agree that a beautiful style of football is desirable (hence the NIKE Joga Bonito "beautiful play" commercials)...but this is useless if it does not lead to the achievement of the team's objectives. It is of little consolation to Mexico, for example, they they played beautifully...because they are now out of the tournament.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
England may not win many fans with their 'boring' style of play...but their main objective is not to entertain the fans with aesthetically pleasing football. Their main objective is, of course, to win the World Cup. With each win (no matter how unconvincing)..England are getting closer and closer to reaching their objective.

I agree that a beautiful style of football is desirable (hence the NIKE Joga Bonito "beautiful play" commercials)...but this is useless if it does not lead to the achievement of the team's objectives. It is of little consolation to Mexico, for example, they they played beautifully...because they are now out of the tournament.
My god Matty, what have you turned into...? How can you still be a fan on England when they play such shitty football. Mexico played beautiful football yes, but Argentina also played it at the same time. Now if England came up against Mexico they would've got themselves hammered if they played the way they did today.

The lack of depth in the England squad will show its effect when England face tougher oppositions in the latter stages. Their starting eleven aren't settin the world on fire, not in any of the matches they have played so far. This current England team kind of reminds me of the German team of the last World Cup, winning ugly. But then again they did have a big win, something England haven't done yet.

Hope Ronaldo can do somethin tonight, score a free kick or two. :)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Mike Ockisard said:
ive forgotten how to do it. the fact its 3.15am probably has something to do with it though

there are 8 teams in the quarters........................how many possible winning combinations are there?

is it 2 to the power of 8, takeaway 2 x 8? ive forgotten the formula
What exactly do you want to do anyway...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)