• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

- L1n -

HSC
If england beats either potugal or netherlands and make the semi's and Beckhams plays another good game that should pretty much shut anyone up, his up against either Ronaldo or Robben, either way speed wise his gonna get wasted so i guess we'll see some sweetas thru balls and maybe just maybe another freakish freekick to win the game. The only real problem i see people complaining about becks is his lack of speed for a so called winger. England plays non attractive football, meh who cares the only real entertainers so far this world cup is Argentina everyone pretty much can't compare. But attacrtive play will most likely make you regret why u got knocked out of the WC.

GO NETHERLANDs , i wanna see a Dutch English QTR Finals.

- L1n -

HSC
LMF^^ said:
My god Matty, what have you turned into...? How can you still be a fan on England when they play such shitty football. Mexico played beautiful football yes, but Argentina also played it at the same time. Now if England came up against Mexico they would've got themselves hammered if they played the way they did today.

The lack of depth in the England squad will show its effect when England face tougher oppositions in the latter stages. Their starting eleven aren't settin the world on fire, not in any of the matches they have played so far. This current England team kind of reminds me of the German team of the last World Cup, winning ugly. But then again they did have a big win, something England haven't done yet.

Hope Ronaldo can do somethin tonight, score a free kick or two. :)

LOL Ronaldo scoring freekicks, thats like saying Beckham and dribbling. Opposite trades, better leave it to good old Figo or even Deco.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
- L1n - said:
LOL Ronaldo scoring freekicks, thats like saying Beckham and dribbling. Opposite trades, better leave it to good old Figo or even Deco.
Ronaldo can do free kicks. His free kicks are more about power, much like Roberto Carlos, different to Beckham and Figo.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
- L1n - said:
I disagree. Whereas Beckham's game is quite one-dimensional in that it is comprised mostly only of his crosses, passing skills and dead-ball prowess...Ronaldo is the complete package.

Yes, Ronaldo's strong point is his dribbling skills...but this isn't the full extent of his game. He is also a skilfull free-kick taker. Evidence for this is that he is always one of the main contenders to take free kicks in both the Manchester United and Portugal sides. In addition to his sublime dribbling skills and dead-ball skills...Ronaldo also has an extremely powerful shot on him and is powerful in the air. I accept that Ronaldo's shots and crosses are not always as accurate as they should be...but that can largely be attributed to the fact that they usually take place whilst he is in the process of beating players, and performing step-overs and other tricks. This occasional over-reliance on skills is the key area that Ronaldo needs to improve upon if he is to be considered as being truly world class. Also, whereas Becks' game features an over-reliance on his right-foot...Ronaldo can shoot, cross, pass and perform skills equally with both feet. Furthermore, unlike Becks...Ronaldo is also extremely quick. For such reasons, I think that it is unfair that you say that Becks and Ronaldo perform "opposite trades".

I am not in any way degrading Beckham as a football player though, because he is extremely effective in what he does. My point is that it is unfair to contrast the two like you did because their is far more to Ronaldo's game than just his dribbling skills.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Gee Matty, I expected a reply from you. :(

You're done wit exams eh...? I got one on Tues, haven't started studyin, how fucked up.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
I wish I was done with exams. lol...If I was I wouldn't be sitting on BoS. BoS is just my procrastination outlet. I have my last exam on Tuesday. I have done some preparation for it...but the World Cup is seriously distracting me. It is an open-book exam though...so I should be fine. Despite the exam being held at 9:00 on Tuesday...I am still going to be watching the Australia v Italy match as well. Good luck with the exam on Tuesday ^^LMF and may the World Cup not prevent us from passing. :).

Last edited:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Portugal v Netherlands is about to start. Should be an absolute cracker. Interesting that Van Nistelrooy has been replaced by Kuyt.

Força Portugal!

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Fuckin hell, I betted $2 on first goal time 21-30min. Why do I win when I bet small...? :(

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Make lots and lots of really small bets. The you will be rich :).

Ronaldo took a knock early on in the game and has been his normal self since. At least he has not left the field though I guess.

On: Simao.
Off: Ronaldo.

I fucking hate you, Boulahrouz. Even more so if that is the end of his participation in this World Cup. Simao is a pretty good replacement for him though.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Can someone please shoot Robben so he has a real reason to go down so easily. That might stop his constant complaining as well. God I hate him.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
Can someone please shoot Robben so he has a real reason to go down so easily. That might stop his constant complaining as well. God I hate him.
To be fair he didn't dive in this game yet. That challenge by Meira (I think) was horrible, it was like a kung fu kick, it would've been a penalty. Although Robben did try to fein injury but he quickly realised that there was an offside beforehand.

Did Costinha take too much drug before this game...? WTF's he thinkin...???

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Costinha sent off. Fuck. Ronaldo injured. Fuck. Our only saving grace is that we are ahead 1-0. Hopefully we can hold the Dutch to just 1 goal in the 2nd half.

Given the above factors I would say that the game is despite our lead)...evenly poised. Perhaps Netherands have the advantage. They won't know that until they score though.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
I expect that Van Nistelrooy will replace Kuyt in the 2nd half sometime to give them a different dimension in attack. As a Man United supporter...I know all too well that Ruud is prolific and only needs half a chance to score. Hold on Portugal!

mecurial

HSC
That is the fourth night in a row that somebody has recieved two yellow cards in the first half!

The oranje have been given a lifeline with Costinha being sent off; otherwise it was just about over. Even now, I think the only way that they can get back in the match is through some brilliance from Robben or Van Persie. Van Basten is a fool for leaving Roy Makaay at home - Dirk Kuyt is not of international standard.

Portugal show too much experience, pace and creativity at the moment. Should go on to win, but it should be interesting if Holland can get back on level terms.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Fuck Costinha...I can't forgive him for such stupidity. You would think that he would learn from almost being sent-off just a minute earlier. Such is the depth of players in his position that I never want to see him play for Portugal again. From now on we can use one of either Tiago, Petit or Maniche in his position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)