The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Germany 2-1 Ecuador

And yay for kewell! Great news

did anyone see the blog on SMH? Support the guus tax? I say we go along with it :) I don't mind giving up a cent from every dollar for four more years of guus

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
mecurial said:
Great finish to Group A, I have been looking forward to this game very much since last Thursday, when Ecuador dominated the shit out of Costa Rica. Should they perform here, and I expect that they will, they may very be quarter final contenders (or better).

Very interesting to see how Germany will play, with the likes of Ballack ad Schweinsteiger coming off poor performances against Poland. After the champagne attacking football of the Opener, Germany once again looked boring and predictable against the Polish. Which side will turn up here?
I'm sure the Germans will go for the full three points tonight. Klinsmann has said he's eager for his team to 'ride the current wave of enthusiasm sweeping Germany'. I suppose the fact that Ballack is starting despite carrying a yellow-card shows some ambition from the Europeans. Whether or not it's attractive football remains to be seen.

Based on prior performances I would've backed Ecuador to upstage Germany, but the coach did hint he may rest some players, and appears to be indifferent to potential 2nd Round opponents.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ecuador is apparently resting quite a few players. Stupid, as they had a good chance of playing number 2 in that other group. all they needed was a draw

mecurial

HSC
Yawn?

That was Germany's best half they have played in four years. They have both pressed and sat back, and Ecuador have not had a chance. The Klose-led German machine is beginning function.

I don't really know much about Ecuador but imo they appear to be a confidence and form team. They can't just turn it on like some of their South American counterparts, and if they cop a 3, 4 5 nil result here, their campaign is most likely going to end in the second round. Confidence is a valuable thing. Suarez needs to get his big guns Delgado and Tenorio on early, and try and salvage something pretty soon.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
mecurial said:
Yawn?

That was Germany's best half they have played in four years. They have both pressed and sat back, and Ecuador have not had a chance. The Klose-led German machine is beginning function.

I don't really know much about Ecuador but imo they appear to be a confidence and form team. They can't just turn it on like some of their South American counterparts, and if they cop a 3, 4 5 nil result here, their campaign is most likely going to end in the second round. Confidence is a valuable thing. Suarez needs to get his big guns Delgado and Tenorio on early, and try and salvage something pretty soon.
That was an effective half from Germany but definitely not entertaining.

And no wonder everyone is on Podolski's case, Klose's got free reign on the scoresheet while he's drawing blanks.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
mecurial said:
Yawn?

you do realise that they're purposely not trying to play for a win? They are resting their best players, content with playing the first-placed team, who they antiscipate will be england, and they think they can beat an out-of-sorts england.

furthermore, exam in 8 hrs :( :( :(

*Minka*

HSC
Is it just me or does Miroslav Klose have this way of just emgerging for the world cup and then disappearing again? I seriously havn't head of him since Korea/Japan, but maybe that is because I don't really watch Bundesliga. Everytime I go out and someone hears my accent (I speak pretty good German) they try and make a Bayern fan out of me.

*Minka*

HSC
It is interesting how much the Germans here really want to avoid England. I was wondering how Germany was going to play today - whether they wanted to finish first and pray England was second, or think they had a better chance by avoiding England by avoiding a win against Ecuador and letting Sweden beat them as England have been out of sorts and Sweden seem to always beat them. But when Klose score his goal in four minutes, I realised that Germany was playing for a win and now it is clear that Ecuador is just going to take this one easy rest players and be content that they are in the next round. But yeah, Germany couldn't really 'fix' it either way because England are still to play.

*Minka*

HSC
politik said:
Hee hee I remembered :D

Are you at a Net Cafe somewhere?
My laptop hooks into the internet connection here at the hotel. Just finished a few things for Uni and listening to my Dad chat away on MSN about nothing in particular. (He keeps telling me to come online and talk to him because he is in 'I am bored and lonely' syndrome because he is not here yet - arriving a bit later because of work.)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
politik said:
*sits in corner* yes...

There's also another game going on right now, CRC v POL, its XXXX sofar...
you might wanna put that in a spoiler, that game is straight after on sbs

*Minka*

HSC
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
I dunno why but I was kinda impressed with the way Germany played tonight.

Anyway, I noticed Turkey didn't have a team this year. But didn't they come like 2nd or 3rd in the previous World cup?

That's weird.
Yeah they lost in the Playoffs to Switzerland on the away goals rule I believe. They didn't make Euro 2004 either.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
3 of the hardest of the six to go. Do you think paraguay can do it? I mean the trinidad defense is just nuts.

fuck, 4 hrs till i have to get up for my exam. sleep time

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
what do you know, england play their best half of football when gerrard and lampard are not playing together...

HotShot

-_-
HSC
politik said:
It was that game where the players were kicking each other after the game and fighting in the tunnel... Crazy Turk's!

*blinks eyes* I just woke up, and it seems Sweden drew with England. Not bad. Tonight Argentina v Netherlands. It was going to be the match of the tournament but since the Netherlands probably wont turn up for the game, I dont think it will be that close.
Netherlands are playing brillaint, is just they arent aggressive enough and as a result scoring like 2 goals and haveing 70% possession.

but their midfield is very strong and nistelrooy and robben upfront, argentina to lose 2 - 1.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Aside from the World Cup - the FFA made a huge mistake in letting Johan Neeskens go. He was the only one capable (along with Graham Arnold) to continue what Guus started. Now if the FFA sign some other foreigner he will undo everything. Plus, I have major respect for any foreign coach that will learn and sing the Australian national anthem with a hand on his heart. For shame FFA.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
Komit, you are 100% correct. i thought it was very touching and heartfelt to see neeskens sing the anthem, i have never seen a foreign coach do that before, the man clearly loves the country why the FFA would not allow him and arnold to continue is beyond me, he is similar to Hiddink plus knows his style very well..

I read in an article in the syd morn herald, that if the FFA allowed the arnold/neeskens partnership to go along, Hiddink wouldve come back in time for the 2010 world cup, but when that didnt happen he chose Russia. stupid FFA!

swisstruffles

HSC
the ffa board was apparently all behind keeping neeskens but all except lowy who was stubborn enough to keep hoping for a 'big name'...i think the obvious love and passion neeskens showed for australia has way more value than some other 'big name' who will only agree to come for some multi milliondollar paycheque guarantee...the whole thing stinks, i hope neeskens knows that there were plenty of others who wanted him to stay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)