The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (3 Viewers)

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
matt#1 said:
Starting Carrick as a holding mid is also a good move by Eriksson because it will free up Lampard and Gerrard to play their natural attacking roles. I'm not particularly worried about Rooney being up front by himself either because Cole, Gerrard and Lampard will now be able to support him without having to worry too much about their respective defensive duties.
Yep, I'm also looking forward to watching Carrick in action. Hopefully Fergie's giving him his full attention too. Would be awesome to get him to play at O/T next season.

As for Gerrard/Lampard, I still don't know if they'll function to their full effect. It's not like they've had massive defensive duties in this WC anyway. England already played a holding MF in Carragher, now it's Carrick. Like I said sometime earlier, I reckon the solution to getting the best out of the duo is getting them to play away from each other, as opposed to playing alongside each other. I can't help but get the impression that Sven names them both in the line-up and hopes they sort themselves out during the match proper.

HSC
matt#1 said:
In the Australia v Italy game I read that it is likely that Guus Hiddink will replace the injured Brett Emerton with Luke Wilkshire :S. Hopefully he puts in a much better performance than he did against Japan.
oh god, i hope they don't let luke wilkshire back on the field. ever.

*Minka*

HSC
Seeing Muscat break Totti's leg and ruffle his hair would be the highlight of my life.

*Minka*

HSC
sweet_as said:
100% agree politik, Lowy and the FFA has fucked up majorly here by going after a supposed "huge"name. Neeskens is the perfect man for the job, not only for his coaching ability, but the way he has taken Australia to his heart. Hopefully we may be able to snare him back after his Barca contract ends!
100% agreement here as well. If I EVER run into the man on the off chance, I would not be ashamed to seriously beg him to come back to Australia and lead us to the 2010 World Cup. He was in TWO WORLD CUP FINALS - What more of a big name dfo you want Lowy. Fuck. I hate Lowy.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I can't stand Wilkshire either, I'd rather see Skoko given a go for once

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
bazookajoe said:
They're still chasing Houllier at the moment
I hope we don't get him. He is very overrated in my opinion. His wage-bill for one thing will be unjustifiably sky-high. Besides, we've been chasing him for so long, if he was interested at all he should have made some sort of indication in all this time. I get the feeling that he is just biding his time to see if he can score a 'bigger' post elsewhere. It'll be alright if he came in a Technical Director role, but not as Head Coach.

johnny_87

HSC
Lowy has fucked up. He should listen to Guus, who knows what he's talking about. If Guus says Arnold and Neeskens can lead us, then the chances are they can do it.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I read Guus may have come back to lead us to the 2010 World Cup if Lowy had appointed Arnold and Neeskens.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING LOWY!?!?!?

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
As much as I respect Lowy for coming back and ressurecting Aus Football, I cannot see the sense in going after the big names when the ideal coash WAS RIGHT UNDER HIS NOSE!!!

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
johnny_87 said:
I'm not sure if it's true, but I read Guus may have come back to lead us to the 2010 World Cup if Lowy had appointed Arnold and Neeskens.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING LOWY!?!?!?
Yeah, apparently that was Hiddink's plan, to come back for 2010. Although, in the interim, I can't see how the Neeskens/Arnold combination would have worked. There would have been an inevitable struggle for power between the two.

johnny_87

HSC
Well I think Arnold as coach with Neeskens as assistant was what Hiddink may have occurred

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Stop being so negative, guys. Yes Lowy should have listened to Guus and appointed either Arnold or Neeskins as Head Coach...but that is of little significance at the moment. His decision to appoint Guus was genious. Whilst Farina was coach of the socceroos, I could never have even imagined that Australia would be playing Italy in the last 16 of the World Cup.

The point that I am trying to make is that you should all stop complaining about insignificant matters and just enjoy what is undoubtably the greatest football-related achievement in Australia's history...and much of these achievements (both with the socceroos and the A-League can be directly attributed to Frank Lowy's decisions-making.

johnny_87

HSC
We know Matt. We know. But we just don't want this awesome performance to be a one-off.

We have all of tomorrow to discuss tomorrow's game. I'm nervous enough now!

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
you have a point there matt, we should be concentrating on the football and enjoying the moment. Thanks mate, all the negative vibes are gone now lol

we can worry about coaches and shit like that much later

*Minka*

HSC
I suppose you are right Matt, but I still can't believe they let Neeskens go.

I obviously don't know too mucha bout what is being said back in Australia right now - is Guus still talking about wanting to return for 2010? Or is all that dead now?

But yeah, that is the thing. I don't want this to be the END. I want this to be the BEGINNING. Football finally has its huge break in this countrey, please Football Australia, don't fuck this up.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
matt#1 said:
As for tonight's games...I'm really looking forward to Portugal v Netherlands. I'll predict 2-1 to Portugal in this game, but I accept that Netherlands head into the game as favourites.
GK: NED. > PORT.

Defence: PORT. > NED.
The Dutch defence is much too young and inexperienced to cope at this level. Heitinga has not impressed, and they seem to lack cool heads in the back four, a far cry from the times of the DeBoer brothers and Jaap Stam.

MF: PORT. > NED.
The midfield has gone missing repeatedly for the Dutch. I've seen very little of both Sneijder and Cocu on the ball. Figo has turned back the clock in this tournament, Costinha and Maniche have been commendable, Ronaldo and Deco are making up for the fact that Portugal play a lone striker. Simao has been very dangerous whenever he's played.

Forwards: NED. > PORT.
Robben and van Persie have been the ones carrying the Dutch in this tournament, apart from EvdSar. Van Basten is also considering starting Kuyt in place of Ruud, which could add extra spark in the Dutch attack.

Coaches: PORT. > NED.
Scolari has never lost a WC match in his career. Under him, the Portugese play a very structured, patient game, more result oriented than aesthetic.

Historically: PORT. > NED.
One win in ten meetings for the Dutch, over a 15-year spell.

Portugal should progress. Should.

- L1n -

HSC
Scolari not losing a WC game had alot to do with the team he had, Brazil comeon losing 1game for Brazil is like the armageddon. As much as i respect scolari as a coach i think they r better coaches in this Competition, heck i rate Parrerira over Scolari. I hope the Dutch wins, and hope to see RVN score like 2 or 3 goals just to shut the critics up, his not doing himself any favours by playing crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)