• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Tony Vidmar won't be one of them.

Bad luck to him, he's put in 110% for the Australian team his whole career, and he misses out on his dream.

Hopefully the recovery goes well.

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
As much as I would like to see the match replayed, somehow I don't think it will happen with West Ham's game on Saturday and the FIFA deadline for domestic competitions

Jimmy_B

HSC
a replay would set a pretty dangerous precedent for english football. gotta take the good with the bad and hope we can topple them when henry fucks off next season.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
henry might not leave, its not certain :p

team of the season?

reina

eboue terry carragher gallas

hleb fabregas lampard j.cole

rooney

henry

bench: cech, finnan, toure, carrick, d.bent

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
I'd like to standup fo Van der Sar here. To me hez the keeper of the season. True Cech and Reina kept mo number of clean sheetz but that don't really mean much. In the early partz of the campaign there were quite a few gamez where Edwin just single-handedly kept uz in the game and thatz when we got our pointz. Wit Rio and Silvestre partnerin in the centre it ain't surprisin that he got tested mo timez than the other top teamz thiz season. I can only remember 1 mistake all season, one against Middlesborough where he should've saved Mendietaz 2nd min shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zpo_jlA1s0
Another look at the season that waz.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
I'd like to standup fo Van der Sar here. To me hez the keeper of the season.
I pretty much have to agree with that LMF....he has been a revelation...especially in comparison to the mistake-riddled Roy Carrol we had at this time last year.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Roy Carroll actually did a good job for us at West Ham, funny how a change of scenery does wonders for some players. Not to mention Shaka Hislop, he is old school to the max.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Oh dear god. Boro lose 4-0 to Sevilla in UEFA Cup final.
This was after Mclaren put out young/reserve teams for the last few premiership matches to prepare themselves for it.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Yeah...bad luck to Boro this morning. They were comprehensively beaten. Viduka and Schwarzer could have used such a win to lift their spirits and confidence on the eve of the world cup.

Jimmy_B

HSC
matt#1 said:
I pretty much have to agree with that LMF....he has been a revelation...especially in comparison to the mistake-riddled Roy Carrol we had at this time last year.
robinson and lehmann > van der sar.

Jimmy_B

HSC
matt#1 said:
Yeah...bad luck to Boro this morning. They were comprehensively beaten. Viduka and Schwarzer could have used such a win to lift their spirits and confidence on the eve of the world cup.
thing about boro is, when they're good they're good, ie when they beat united 4-1 and chelsea 3-0, but when they're bad they're horrible ie when they scum beat them 7-0. today was one of the latter.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
You know on paper Boro actually have a good team, they got all positions covered and have great prospects in Yakubu, Downing , Brad Jones, Cattermole, but not sure bout their youth in defenders. I think they'll come into the next PL season with alot of confidence, especially if a few have good World Cup performances.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Ive always loved Edwin, and for many years couldnt understand why he was only playing at Fulham. At the start of the season, most of us said that he wouldnt fail like the many Reds keepers before him, and he has proved us right. Lehmann isnt quite as good as Van der Sar, but maybe Im just saying that coz I thing Jens is an attention seeking prat who carries on way too much for a keeper and should just get on with his job.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Lehmann isnt quite as good as Van der Sar, but maybe Im just saying that coz I thing Jens is an attention seeking prat who carries on way too much for a keeper and should just get on with his job.
Amen to that! ...I think that the only 'keeper in the EPL that is arguably better than Van Der Sar is Petr Cech. Though the Chelsea defense could possibly even make me look like a good keeper. :)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Robinson don't look az imposin at the back az Van der Sar, sometimez I think hez like Casillas, good keeper but just bad at organisin defenderz in front of him. BJz right about Lehmann, whingez about just everythin. So he saved a penalty in El Madrigal, not a big deal, Brad Jones saved a Ruud van Nistelrooy penalty too. Come to think of it, have we even conceded a penalty all season that Van der Sar had to save...?

Jimmy_B

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Robinson don't look az imposin at the back az Van der Sar, sometimez I think hez like Casillas, good keeper but just bad at organisin defenderz in front of him. BJz right about Lehmann, whingez about just everythin. So he saved a penalty in El Madrigal, not a big deal, Brad Jones saved a Ruud van Nistelrooy penalty too. Come to think of it, have we even conceded a penalty all season that Van der Sar had to save...?
maybe you should ask scholesy about how good a keeper lehmann is. ARF!!

he's basically carried the scum through the champions league. no keeper has commanded their area better this season, and he's made less mistakes than any of the other top flight keepers, despite having a young makeshift back four in front of him. he's also ousted the gorrilla as the german number one. despite being an a-grade cunt he's a world-class keeper without question, but then again it's no surprise three united fans would rate van der sar that highly and think lehmann's a lemon.

as for edwin, he's a good keeper but i don't think he's all that he's cracked up to be, he makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't come out and collect or sweep up as well as lehmann or robbo does. the only thing robinson has against him is that he can be sloppy distributing and needs to work on his decision making at corners and free kicks, but considering his age he'll be a star for years to come. being dutch myself i have no particualr bias against van der sar, but even out of our own keepers i reckon maarten stekelenburg is around his level and could be number one in the near future.

using brad jones as an example is stupid too, he copped seven goals at highbury, 4 of which were his fault. oh, and we all know why united doesn't concede penalities. and it has nothing to do with the quality of their defending.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
maybe you should ask scholesy about how good a keeper lehmann is. ARF!!

he's basically carried the scum through the champions league. no keeper has commanded their area better this season, and he's made less mistakes than any of the other top flight keepers, despite having a young makeshift back four in front of him. he's also ousted the gorrilla as the german number one. despite being an a-grade cunt he's a world-class keeper without question, but then again it's no surprise three united fans would rate van der sar that highly and think lehmann's a lemon.

as for edwin, he's a good keeper but i don't think he's all that he's cracked up to be, he makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't come out and collect or sweep up as well as lehmann or robbo does. the only thing robinson has against him is that he can be sloppy distributing and needs to work on his decision making at corners and free kicks, but considering his age he'll be a star for years to come. being dutch myself i have no particualr bias against van der sar, but even out of our own keepers i reckon maarten stekelenburg is around his level and could be number one in the near future.

using brad jones as an example is stupid too, he copped seven goals at highbury, 4 of which were his fault. oh, and we all know why united doesn't concede penalities. and it has nothing to do with the quality of their defending.
Funny how Lehmann used to feature in goalkeepin Maldini momentz, and last season Wenger even used shitty Almunia over him. I still remember the UCL game against Panathanaikos, where he came all the way out to clear a ball, only that he passed it to the opposition and had it lobbed into the empty goal. Thatz world class there. I can't deny that he played brilliantly in last yrz FA Cup final, but better than Van der Sar iz subjective. Better to see how they go in the World Cup, never really seen Lehmann playin fo Germany befo, see if he can replicate Kahnz performance in the last World Cup.

Jimmy_B

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Funny how Lehmann used to feature in goalkeepin Maldini momentz, and last season Wenger even used shitty Almunia over him. I still remember the UCL game against Panathanaikos, where he came all the way out to clear a ball, only that he passed it to the opposition and had it lobbed into the empty goal. Thatz world class there. I can't deny that he played brilliantly in last yrz FA Cup final, but better than Van der Sar iz subjective. Better to see how they go in the World Cup, never really seen Lehmann playin fo Germany befo, see if he can replicate Kahnz performance in the last World Cup.
what's he done wrong this season? which keeper has outperformed him this season? form keeper in the premiership and carried his team to paris.

i've seen van der sar cock up many many times as well, and the clearance you talk of wasn't as bad as you made it sound, the finish by the greek bloke was pretty good and from a distance. fact is, he's a brave keeper who's willing to take risks and when he's on song, like he's been in europe this season it lets his team defend a high line and cause opponents problems. and for the record, i hope ed proves me wrong and lifts the big cup this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)