• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Ahh, I woke up at 4.45am so I could listen to it live on the internet.

Considering our run of poor form, it was a good result.

However, a 1-1 draw at home makes it tough away at Deepdale .. we have to win the match, or draw 2-2 (or higher).

Sort of dirty that we didn't get away with the win, in fact.

Kilgallon hit the post with a header off a corner, and by the sounds of it, we should have been awarded a penalty, but weren't.

Oh well .. now they have to back up and play their best to beat Preston away, considering Preston have only conceded 31 goals all season.

GO YOU WHITES!

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Couple things before this weekedns matches.

1. Half of the spurs team got 'ill' lol > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4982144.stm

Potential culprit > http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/9246/chefasianfood6dx9xt.jpg

2. Looks like Ruud is goneskis if this report is true.
http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=385087&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=2&title=Van+Nistelrooy's+United+exit

Which makes me think, SAF's ruthlessness has cost them Staam, Becks, Keane in recent years. Surely its time for SAF to go and not the players?

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Yeah, but they did win 4-0 tonight, without the services of Ruud. As much as I hate the prick, Sir Alex has played his best team, with or without Ruud, and perhaps in the summer he'll find a big name replacement, as the club sure as hell needs one if they are to win the league next year.

Hard luck Jimmy. I feel for you after tonights loss, but at least there were some positives tonight... Ruud to Spurs?????

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
The game that Fergie lost hiz patience on Ruud waz the FA Cup game against Liverpool, he really stunk in that game. But honestly he did have a relatively poor season, although he did score over 20 goalz. I wouldn't be surprised if he iz to go, but I certainly don't want to see that. But it lookz like he will move off after the World Cup.

Oh and you fuckin Spurz choked, I guess you just don't deserve Championz League football.

We walked off Charlton in our final game, Richardson scored a great goal and hit another that hit the underside of the bar and didn't go in. Never thought he waz such a goalscorer but after seein thiz he can really hit it, better than Ronaldo. Funny to see Rio waz just chewin biscuitz at the end. Bad way fo Curbz to go, but good way to end the season nonetheless.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Unlucky for Spurs, 10 players down with food poisoning before the match is pretty serious. Pretty unlikely that an Arse fan did poison the buffet, but I wonder what would happen if that was the case, and it was uncovered..hm..

Good win for Liverpool again, but I guess Charlton just couldn't hack it without a manager for the last couple of weeks. They do always have the tendency to drop away in the second half of the season though, don't they? Pretty pathetic, Curbishly is probably the worst of the shortlisted England managers.

Jimmy_B

HSC
fuck arsenal, fuck west ham and fuck the cunt who poisoned half our team.

i hope both of the chavvy cunts lose their cup finals.

oh, what a gayass season :(

bJ_Bhoy87 said:
Hard luck Jimmy. I feel for you after tonights loss, but at least there were some positives tonight... Ruud to Spurs?????
i dunno if martin jol will have the money for him now :( . fucking benayoun

johnny_87

HSC
A few things:

Copious - Stam was a mistake, but Ole was playin better than Beckham on the right wing and Beckham was more concerned with how he looked on the pitch than played on it. Sure, he was good for our marketing department but it was the right move.

Keane was kept for so long to try and help make the transition easier, but he dug his own grave when he made such an outburst. His passion and desire were just too great and he had to let his feelings be known.

Strikers I would replace Ruud with (if he does leave):
1) Ronaldo - He's looking fit again before the WC and MAYBE Fergie's discipline could keep him fit and playing well. Ruud --> Inter, Adriano --> Madrid, Ronaldo --> Man Utd?
2) Torres - 22 yrs old. 88 goals in 146 games for Atletico and 14 in 21 for Spain, where he constantly has 2 players marking him. Tall, pacy, good with the ball at his feet, can beat defenders, can shoot from anywhere and can head the ball. In a few years should be a complete striker.
3) Huntelaar - 33 goals in 35 games this season in the Eredividisie. Ajax paid about $14m for him so could cost about $25-30m

Personally, I wouldn't mind either striker, however Torres would be expensive. I have a feeling that after a quiet off-season last season, this year we will spend the $.
Would like to see:
Diarra/Mascherano
One of the 3 strikers above
Mikel join us (or if not, let Ch€₤$ki have him in exchange for one of their wingers)
If Mikel doesn't join us and we don't sign one of Ch€₤$ki's wingers, then we could go after Lennon, Quaresma or someone similar

I'm not so sure we need Carrick after the way Scholes played last night. Also, Mikel and David Jones (if he returns from loan) could do a job too.

Last edited:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Oh yeah crap i forgot bout Jon Obi Mikel. Shame he isnt playing in the WC either. How did Rossi play last night? I havnt seen him play yet.

johnny_87

HSC
This team would be pretty good:

------------------VDS
Neville----Rio----Vidic/Brown----Heinze
------Diarra/Mascherano----De Rossi
---Ronaldo----Rooney----Rossi
---------Ronaldo/Torres/Huntelaar

Or if they go 4-4-2:

------------------VDS
Ronaldo---Diarra/Mascherano----Scholes----Duff/Quaresma/Lennon
------------Rooney---Ronaldo/Torres/Huntelaar

Would leave pleny of back-up:
GK - new keeper if Howard is sold
RB - Bardsley, Brown, Pique
CB - Brown/Vidic, Pique, Spector
LB - Evra, Spector
RM - Park, Ole
CM - Mikel/Jones, Fletcher, Smith
LM - Giggs, Richardson, Park
CF - Saha, Smith, Rossi

This would assume we sell: Ruud, O'Shea, Silvestre and Howard to fund some of the new signings.

johnny_87

HSC
I didn't watch the entire game but Rossi certainly looked good. Defintiely a player for the future. I like the look of a 4-2-3-1 (like Barca) because it allows Rossi to play as he and Rooney play a similar position. Also, Ronaldo plays on the right of the triumvirate behind the CF for Portugal and averages a goal every 2 games.

Ronaldo--Rooney--Rossi
--------------CF

Will be behind only Barca's attack in 2 yrs (but with a better defence and defensive mid hopefully)

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
johnny_87 said:
A few things:

Copious - Stam was a mistake, but Ole was playin better than Beckham on the right wing and Beckham was more concerned with how he looked on the pitch than played on it. Sure, he was good for our marketing department but it was the right move.

Keane was kept for so long to try and help make the transition easier, but he dug his own grave when he made such an outburst. His passion and desire were just too great and he had to let his feelings be known.

Strikers I would replace Ruud with (if he does leave):
1) Ronaldo - He's looking fit again before the WC and MAYBE Fergie's discipline could keep him fit and playing well. Ruud --> Inter, Adriano --> Madrid, Ronaldo --> Man Utd?
2) Torres - 22 yrs old. 88 goals in 146 games for Atletico and 14 in 21 for Spain, where he constantly has 2 players marking him. Tall, pacy, good with the ball at his feet, can beat defenders, can shoot from anywhere and can head the ball. In a few years should be a complete striker.
3) Huntelaar - 33 goals in 35 games this season in the Eredividisie. Ajax paid about $14m for him so could cost about $25-30m

Personally, I wouldn't mind either striker, however Torres would be expensive. I have a feeling that after a quiet off-season last season, this year we will spend the $.
Would like to see:
Diarra/Mascherano
One of the 3 strikers above
Mikel join us (or if not, let Ch€₤$ki have him in exchange for one of their wingers)
If Mikel doesn't join us and we don't sign one of Ch€₤$ki's wingers, then we could go after Lennon, Quaresma or someone similar

I'm not so sure we need Carrick after the way Scholes played last night. Also, Mikel and David Jones (if he returns from loan) could do a job too.
1. Torres is possibly the most overrated striker in the world right now. He's Owenesque in his inconsistency. You might see a decent goal to game return ratio, but he'd have achieved that ratio by scoring a hat-trick in one game and then go missing for 6 matches, good enough for a medium sized club like Athletico maybe, but United? Probably not

2. Huntelaar- Looks to be a good prospect, and I think Liverpool are looking at him as a possibility as well. I'd rather if he stayed at Ajax for another season though, he'd probably cost up to around the £8m-£10m mark, so it's a decent sized investment for a player unproven in one of the big leagues. I know Dutch players tend to adapt well to the PL, but you do occasionally get a Kezman here and there.

3. Ronaldo- Best bet for MUFC or LFC I think. He's scored 14 goals in the league alone while being unfit and out of form, which is about as many as most strikers could hope for even when they're flying. He's complained about the fans not giving him enough support.. well Liverpool fans would most definitely give him the love he craves, provided of course he can come to like the city, it mightn't be quite exciting enough for a playboy used to living in Milan and Madrid. London on the other hand, he might enjoy. A good, cheap replacement for Henry?

4. Quaresma has as many tricks as Ronaldo, just less final product...errrr

5. Didn't Lennon just resign for Spurs? I don't think he'd want to leave anyway, despite not getting a CL spot, Tottenham have had a good first full season under Jol and certainly should have showed enough promise to persuade its young stars to stay at least another season...

6. In any case, wingers are not a priority for United. Now that Ballack is going to Chelsea, I think you'll really have to pay top ££ for not one, but 2 CMs, at least one of which will have to be a potential stalwart in years to come. Gattuso's the cheapest option I guess, followed by Mascherano, then Diarra if you really feel comfortable with every other position.

Oh and has anyone actually seen Mikel play? Hard to believe that you'd have so much in a faith in a 19 year old who hasn't played outside of Norway :D How far United have fallen :D

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Mikel had an exceptional tournament at the World Youth Championshipz last yr and do look like a worthy prospect fo the future. Remember Fabregas waz not a proven talent at Barca too and look at him now. We United have legacy of investin in youth, built upon since the Busby dayz. And I won't like to see a manager who won't continue to do so in the future.

Quaresma shouldn't be wit United, we've already got a Ronaldo who can do a better job. Torres do look like a good striker but wit the blue kuntz in the market fo him he'll just be overpriced and become another Drogba. But I love Huntelaar, I'll be so happy if he waz to join United. Last night he just scored a double to win the Dutch Cup over PSV. Already a proven talent in the league and will definitely make an impact if Van Basten givez him the opportunity at the World Cup. Snap him up Fergie, he'll be our new Ruud.

Mascherano will cost at least €20mil, hardly the type of money the Glazerz will wanna spend. Gattuso will be good, but thatz only if he wantz to leave Milan.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I think Gattuso has stated his interest in a move to the PL before actually.

.. and can you slow down the gif in your sig LMF? It's disturbingly hypnotic :p

Buying young talent is fine, but reliance on them before they've shown their skills at the top level is a mistake. See Florent-Sinama Pongolle- 9 goals at the World Youth Championships a few years back, and Anthony LeTallec, player of the same tournament. What have they done for Liverpool? Hm.. very little. I guess Houllier wasn't exactly known for his genius at developing young talent though.

Last edited:

johnny_87

HSC
Who knows how much they'll spend LMF? To make $, they need to spend $ otherwise we won't make it far enough in the CL to get $. It's a cycle.

My preference would be Ronaldo or Huntelaar. I too feel Torres is overrated (although still good), but he's at Atletico, who are shite. Who knows how he could go with a proper manager?

Benny - The 'club in decline' still managed to yet again beat Liverpool in the PL this year with that gaping hole in CM.

Funny how you've fallen to accept such mediocre players as Traore, Cisse, Morientes and the like ;)

My preferences this summer:
Mascherano/Diarra (I'd expect ₤15-20m for Mascherano, and ₤20-25m for Diarra unless we give them Silvestre)
De Rossi (₤15m)
Ronaldo/Huntelaar (₤10-15m for each. Hard to say really)

------------------VDS
------Diarra/Mascherano----De Rossi
---Ronaldo----Rooney----Rossi
---------Ronaldo/Huntelaar

GUN

Without De Rossi, we could still perhaps play Scholes there (with his range of passing, he can just sit there with Diarra/Mascherano mopping up). After that, Jones can replace him if he's good enough. If not, bring Carrick in (if he performs well in Europe) after next season.

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
johnny_87 said:
Benny - The 'club in decline' still managed to yet again beat Liverpool in the PL this year with that gaping hole in CM.

Funny how you've fallen to accept such mediocre players as Traore, Cisse, Morientes and the like
I wasn't having a go at United, you guys are a couple of players from challenging for the title, and so are Liverpool.

I'm well aware of how much our strikers have let us down this season, and I trust that the Liverpool board will give Rafa the resources to give that department the necessary revamp. I see both Morientes and Cisse leaving the club this season, with 2 of Torres, Kuyt, Aguero or Owen coming back. I want to see Kuyt, Fowler, Aguero and Crouch as our 4 forwards for next season.

.. as for Traore, he's started about 3 games this season, so not the best example.

Interesting that you're so confident Spurs will be so keen to sell their best players (Carrick, Lennon) to rivals though, a tad optimistic perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)