The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
1-1. Great result for Australia! Especially considering that we were down to 10 men for half an hour. Guus won't be too satisfied with the performance but it is a brilliant result against the FIFA 3rd ranked side in the world. Great psychological boost for us.

Netherlands will be disappointed with the result. Schwarzer was brilliant...but had their finishing been better...they would have scored 3 or 4.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Yeah Schwarzer pulled off every save in the book today, what a confidence booster for him.

Robben, im just happy Chippo snapped him twice while he was going for his runs lol. Zero tolerance for his dives but what can u do eh. Just furthering my case in my sig!

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Very impressed by the result, from a much improved second half performance. Schwarzer = god. Definitely the best player on the pitch. I loved it when Chipperfield dispossed that kunt Robben, you can even hear the Aussiez cheerin over there.

Conclusion: you play well witout Sterjovski.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
that was a terrible performance by the aussies, if we do that against croatia and brazil, in relation to poor defending and sloppy passes we will be packin our bags back home..the result was credible considering who our opponents were and this should boost morale ahead of the japan game. But we need to get our midfield sorted and also im not sure emerton can do the DR role at all..and moore better get his passing sorted..fast

Other than that our forwards did ok, wilkshire was terrible, thompson shouldnt be there, sterjoski cant cross/finish, but cahill and viduka did well as did chippers in defence as always.

Schwarzer, is our hope for survival in germany...in schwarzer we trust

otay

HSC
1-1. Ok I thought it was a pretty poor display by us. A few thoughts that I picked up.

- Our defence looked awful. Right up the pitch. We were not closing the dutch players down at all and Moore looks near hopeless half the time. Too many crappy passes going nowhere near a teammate.
- Our attack lacked a punch. We created what 2 real chance all night? That's because we had no space coz the dutch were doing what we did not which i mentioned earlier
- our passing was quite atrocious, although it got better towards the end
- we were flat.

Positives though.
- Shwarzer proved he's as good as any goalie around. I don't really think he coulda done much about the shot, there should have been a defender on Van Nistlerooy
- We fucking drew to the Netherlands in Holland. They are ranked number 3 in the world and for a good 70 mins played like it, and even with 10 men for half an hour we drew. Well done.
- we were maybe a little fatigued, which wont be the case next week after todays game
- Cahill ran well and Viduka still looks damn threatening, even though he missed the penalty.
- No1 got injured and we didn't really get our first string team on.
- The crowed were singing Waltzing Matilda and not that gay song that one the SBS competition, and doing it loudly too

So I think it was a good result. We didn't play well, so what happens when we fire next week? Watch out world

- oh and another positive is we showed wat a bunch of pussies the dutch (van bommel, robben) and that van persie character who acts like a bad cunt in the EPL got introduced to some real hard tackles.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Led-Zep said:
that was a terrible performance by the aussies
I have to disagree. It definitely was not a terrible performance by the Aussies. Perhaps we need to improve in a few areas...but I can't see us getting killed by Japan on that performace. Holland are a class side. They make most sides look pretty ordinary. Maybe you are expecting too much from the Aussies?

On another note...Japan 1-0 Malta. Thats pretty promising for the Aussies because the Japanese scored in the 2nd minute and were unable to score again for the entire game against such a small opponent.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
Personally I think our performance was well and truly below par. Given the context (playing Holland in Rotterdam; playing with 10 men; playing without Kewell/Cahill) it's not all that bad.

I feel people are flattered by the scoreline. Truth is if Schwarzer wasn't in goals, everyone would be singing a very different tune.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
otay said:
1-1. Ok I thought it was a pretty poor display by us. A few thoughts that I picked up.

- Our defence looked awful. Right up the pitch. We were not closing the dutch players down at all and Moore looks near hopeless half the time. Too many crappy passes going nowhere near a teammate.
- Our attack lacked a punch. We created what 2 real chance all night? That's because we had no space coz the dutch were doing what we did not which i mentioned earlier
- our passing was quite atrocious, although it got better towards the end
- we were flat.

Positives though.
- Shwarzer proved he's as good as any goalie around. I don't really think he coulda done much about the shot, there should have been a defender on Van Nistlerooy
- We fucking drew to the Netherlands in Holland. They are ranked number 3 in the world and for a good 70 mins played like it, and even with 10 men for half an hour we drew. Well done.
- we were maybe a little fatigued, which wont be the case next week after todays game
- Cahill ran well and Viduka still looks damn threatening, even though he missed the penalty.
- No1 got injured and we didn't really get our first string team on.
- The crowed were singing Waltzing Matilda and not that gay song that one the SBS competition, and doing it loudly too

So I think it was a good result. We didn't play well, so what happens when we fire next week? Watch out world

- oh and another positive is we showed wat a bunch of pussies the dutch (van bommel, robben) and that van persie character who acts like a bad cunt in the EPL got introduced to some real hard tackles.
Ditto.

otay

HSC
matt#1 said:
I have to disagree. It definitely was not a terrible performance by the Aussies. Perhaps we need to improve in a few areas...but I can't see us getting killed by Japan on that performace. Holland are a class side. They make most sides look pretty ordinary. Maybe you are expecting too much from the Aussies?

On another note...Japan 1-0 Malta. Thats pretty promising for the Aussies because the Japanese scored in the 2nd minute and were unable to score again for the entire game against such a small opponent.

I concurr. You gotta realise we were playing a team on par with the Brazil's and Argentina's of the world, so they wont allow us to play like Greece did. Having said that I still felt like we also contributed to the poor play (terrible passing and marking, that shouldnt really matter on opponent). And yeah agree that I can't see us getin killed by Japan considering their performance too. Lookin forward to gettin the full strength team on the park fit in 8 days and with Guus drillin Moore for his shat defensive effort

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
Maybe we need to play like Brazil to be considered a good performance.

That waz not terrible, not at all. Sure there are problemz that need to be solved, like defensively and stringing passez together, but other than that it waz a good display, especially in the second half.

I don't like Neill playin centrally, I think Popovic should play there alongside Moore. But then again it would be hard fo em two to deal wit fast forwardz who can easily outpaced em. Emerton iz still the weak link in the side, if only we have better optionz . Thompson lackz the technical ability to make any impact, even though hiz pace can unsettle tirin defenderz. But what more can you expect from Australia, we're not a global powerhouse yet. We've done ourselvez proud. Well done to the Socceroos.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
meh. im happy with the scoreline, not happy with how we played.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Maybe we need to play like Brazil to be considered a good performance.

That waz not terrible, not at all. Sure there are problemz that need to be solved, like defensively and stringing passez together, but other than that it waz a good display, especially in the second half.

I don't like Neill playin centrally, I think Popovic should play there alongside Moore. But then again it would be hard fo em two to deal wit fast forwardz who can easily outpaced em. Emerton iz still the weak link in the side, if only we have better optionz . Thompson lackz the technical ability to make any impact, even though hiz pace can unsettle tirin defenderz. But what more can you expect from Australia, we're not a global powerhouse yet. We've done ourselvez proud. Well done to the Socceroos.

- L1n -

HSC
I would have to disagree with the above few posts regarding Australia played crap, they played to the best of their ability, be realistic here Holland was unlucky they should of had that penalty when neil clearly stuck his hand out, but apart from that holland had numerous chances compared to that of Australia only thing that saved Australia was luck, Schwarzer and the wood work. Holland demonstarted their abilities to an certain extent and so did australia Yes Australia derserved to score, but holland deserved to win. 1st half was totally Holland, and if u disagree then ur just bias towards the socceroos.

2nd half we played better all credit goes to guus and the players, the defence stepped up and young wilkshire needs to tempo down that was the most idiotic tackle seen so far in Australia's road to Germany. He probably dented his chances of starting in WC due to that misjudgement. And yes Robben is a pussy, biggest sissy of a winger i seen, with all that talent he acts like a bitch. Regarding wheather we had our 1st stream team is irrelevant they did'nt have their star playmaker and we did'nt have Kewell.

so i have no idea why simon hill and the sbs team praised our performance like no tommorow be realistic luck can only take u so far, and today was a good example of that, only real positive on the Aussie side was we got a world class keeper. For holland i would have to say Robben groe up u idiot start playing and stop crying.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
C'mon guys...go easy on the Aussies. We lacked in certain areas tonight ...but I think that you are all expecting waaay too much. Perhaps all the expectation and excitement being conveyed by the media is influencing you all. Australia has now beaten Uruguay to qualify for our first world cup in 32 years....we've beaten current European Champions Greece...and now we have earned an amazing 1-1 result against one of the best sides in the world. I understand that we should not just be heading to the world cup to make up the numbers...but i'm still amazed and somewhat surprised by how far this Aussie side has come under Guus. The results I mentioned speak for themselves....especially considering how terrible we were under Farina at the Conferations Cup. The point I guess that I am trying to make is that before you become too critical about the Aussies...I think you should maybe just take a moment or two to savour just how amazing it is that we are even involved in such an event. Surely not even the most optimistic supporters amongst you would have imagined that this Aussie side would make make sooo much progress in so little time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)