• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeydrop

HSC
he he.. I dunno why i wrote it Matt#1. I guess you and Copious were the last to post so i just decided to find out the opinions, but anyways,

bJ_Bhoy 87, dont be confused. Nakamura was a great signing and I wish more quality players like him come to SPL but this is highly unlikely. Sillystan Petrov is another quality player. I think Fulham where interested in him this season.

In regards to Rangers, Big Dado Prso is their best player this season. Peter Loveinpants is a bit of suspect however he scored couple of vital goals. I think couple of years ago he was regarded as the next big thing but thats in the past. There is a lack of quality on the left side for Rangers :-(

Overall, i would like to see Rangers and Celtic eventually play in EPL. There was a talk about this last year but from what i understood, both teams would have to start in division 2? So it will take them about 3 years? to reach the Premier League. I dont think it will be possible to in the near future. The prospect of watching Rangers/Celtic play against such quality opposition as Lleyton Orient or Cheltenham or Oxford United doesnt make things exciting :rolleyes: . Plus it would mean that CL or UEFA qualifications be placed on hold.

peace.

johnny_87

HSC
No disrespect to the Scottish game (as I like Celtic and despise Rangers), but with the players at the top clubs there at the moment, I think they would be in the midfield in the EPL. Teams like Charlton and Boro could be said to have stronger sides now, and they are traditonally midfield clubs.

If anyone wants to tip the EPL final table:

1. Man Utd - Hoping...
2. Chelski
3. Arsenal
4. Tottenham
5. Liverpool
6. Charlton
7. Newcastle
8. Bolton
9. Boro
10. Man City
11. Wigan
12. West Ham
13. Blackburn
14. Everton
15. Fulham
16. Aston Villa
17. Portsmouth
18. Birmingham
19. West Brom
20. Sunderland

matt#1

HSC
N/A
benny_2 said:
hello to all
i am a very keen liverpool supporter and have been my whole life
my dad followed them as a youngster tought me young with videosshowing of the likes of kenny delglish. (if you dont no him u aint a supporter)
so to all u man utd. supporters who have jumped on da bandwagon since
winning their titles a few years back well done.
gettin on da good teams, like all aussies do.
and as for football here n australia
please dont talk about catch me f#%k me cos dat aint football.
go the aussie rules and go the mighty reds
Another Man Utd hating 'Pool supporter...great :rolleyes: .

As for the part about the bandwagon Man Utd supporters...I don't really care. I'm happy to see people in Australia supporting and taking an interest in football...even if they are just bandwagon supporters. In my opinion, the test of a true supporter is whether they still support the same club when they are struggling. I will continue to support Man Utd even if they are one day relegated to a lower division.

Also mate, I think you should watch less Kenny Delglish videos and spend more time at school or doing homework because your writing is pretty hard to understand :).

johnny_87

HSC
You can't be much of a Kenny DALGLISH fan if you can't even spell his name. :p

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
benny you got an admirer ;)

haha everyone had a soft spot for chelsea when back in the zola days...

i started following milan back when gullit and van basten were going strong in the early 90s ... but since no1 gives a shit about serie a here mostly i decided to pick a second team in the epl... i jump on the man utd bandwagon as well cuz of giggsy and cantona (and cuz shitloads of my friends went for liverpool)

HSC
Man, I really cannot believe some of the Ballon d'Or nominess, surely they are based simply on shirt sales? :rolleyes:

For starters Michael Owen is there for sitting on the Real bench, Park Ji-sung did play o.k at PSV but unsure if he deserves to be there. I don't like to bag current Inter players but Figo was less than impressive last season for Madrid.

But the biggest shock of all is .... LUIS GARCIA! WTF!?!

Some of the players that deserve to be on the list - Vagner Love, Van Der Vaart, Liedson (Sporting Lisbon) and Coco.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Hmm.. you're a man of many contradictions donkeydrop. A Pool fan who supports United, a Rangers fan who supports Celtic, and a PSV fan who supports Ajax... I'll just put you down as a Trotter. :p

I wouldn't be surprised if Leeds made it back next year, but then I don't really know if they still have the platform to perform well on the big stage anymore. So even if they do get back, they mightn't be able to stick around. It's not really like their performances have been grabbing headlines is it?

Italian Hotshot said:
Man, I really cannot believe some of the Ballon d'Or nominess, surely they are based simply on shirt sales?

For starters Michael Owen is there for sitting on the Real bench, Park Ji-sung did play o.k at PSV but unsure if he deserves to be there. I don't like to bag current Inter players but Figo was less than impressive last season for Madrid.

But the biggest shock of all is .... LUIS GARCIA! WTF!?!

Some of the players that deserve to be on the list - Vagner Love, Van Der Vaart, Liedson (Sporting Lisbon) and Coco.
Michael Owen scored something like 16 goals off the bench last year, that's not too bad. Luis Garcia scored 13 for Pool, including some pretty important ones (Juve, and that little beauty against Chelsea). Van Der Vaart? He spent his last 2 seaons at Ajax in relative anonymity, without any big clubs really looking to spash the cash on him. Granted, his move to Hamburg has been a rejuvenating one, but his performances prior to that certainly weren't good enough.

The players there on reputation alone would include...

Drogba- Similar reasoning to Van Der Vaart, this season's been good for him, but last season he was poor.
Figo- WTF.. did very little on the pitch for Real, moved to Inter, where he's resumed his trade of doing very little on the pitch
Nedved- Not a bad season by most people's standards, but still a shadow of the Nedved we saw in the last few seasons.
Robinho- Not counting the handful of games he's played for Real this season, he didn't really have any more fantastic a season for Santos than the year before. It seems FIFA decided to pick him purely because of his move to Europe
Zidane- Same as Nedved, only more so.

Last edited:

johnny_87

HSC
Who from the EPL made this 'list'? Surely players like Lampard, Rooney, Terry, Henry, etc.

Ruud had a poor season that was interrupted with injuries last year so I wouldn't expect him to make it.

Last edited:

johnny_87

HSC
Luis Garcia is shit. If they can noly play well in Europe, they don't deserve to be picked. There weren't many liverpool players last year who played well both in Europe and in the EPL, but much of that is down to the fact many have played continental football for their entire career, and the coach is the same.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
The 50 players nominated (including 4 Man Utd players :) ) are:

Adriano (Inter Milan)
Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich)
David Beckham (Real Madrid)
Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)
Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus)
Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus)
Jamie Carragher (Liverpool)
Petr Cech (Chelsea)
Gregory Coupet (Lyon)
Cris (Lyon)
Deco (Barcelona)
Dida (AC Milan)
Didier Drogba (Chelsea)
Emerson (Juventus)
Michael Essien (Chelsea)
Samuel Eto'o (Barcelona)
Luis Figo (Inter Milan)
Diego Forlan (Villarreal)
Luis Garcia (Liverpool)
Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Juventus)
Juninho (Lyon)
Kaka (AC Milan)
Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
Roy Makaay (Bayern Munich)
Claude Makelele (Chelsea)
Paolo Maldini (AC Milan)
Pavel Nedved (Juventus)
Michael Owen (Newcastle)
Park Ji-Sung (Manchester United)
Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan)
Raul (Real Madrid)
Juan Roman Riquelme (Villarreal)
Arjen Robben (Chelsea)
Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid)
Robinho (Real Madrid)
Ronaldinho (Barcelona)
Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United)
Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)
Andriy Shevchenko (AC Milan)
John Terry (Chelsea)
Lilian Thuram (Juventus)
David Trezeguet (Juventus)
Marc van Bommel (Barcelona)
Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United)
Patrick Vieira (Juventus)
Xavi (Barcelona)
Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Not that bad a list really, beats that idiotic list Pele put out last year that included people like Diouf.

johnny_87

HSC
What's it for Matt?

I take it it's only European football otherwise players like Martin Palermo from Boca would have made it.

johnny_87

HSC
Seems to favour these 6 clubs:

Juventus - 9 players
Chelsea - 7
Madrid - 6
Barcelona - 5
AC Milan - 5
Man Utd - 4

That's 36 of the 50. Throw in 3 from Liverpool and Lyon, 2 from Bayern, Inter and Villareal and just 1 form Arsenal and Newcastle, you have your list.

I know those clubs listed are the powerhouses of European football (minus Villareal and Newcastle), but I was surprised not to see at least 1 person from left field.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
It is the European player of the year in fact. So WTF is Robinho doing there.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
benny_2 said:
hello to all
i am a very keen liverpool supporter and have been my whole life
my dad followed them as a youngster tought me young with videosshowing of the likes of kenny delglish. (if you dont no him u aint a supporter)
so to all u man utd. supporters who have jumped on da bandwagon since
winning their titles a few years back well done.
gettin on da good teams, like all aussies do.
and as for football here n australia
please dont talk about catch me f#%k me cos dat aint football.
go the aussie rules and go the mighty reds
go home...

johnny_87

HSC
Benny - The European player of the year award is for the best player in Europe. Not the best European player, but the best player in European competition. I'm sure Ronaldo has won it before and that Ronaldinho won it last year, although i could be wrong.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
johnny_87 said:
Benny - The European player of the year award is for the best player in Europe. Not the best European player, but the best player in European competition. I'm sure Ronaldo has won it before and that Ronaldinho won it last year, although i could be wrong.
Nah he waz sayin since Robinho didn't play in Europe last season how could he be nominated fo European Player of the Year...?

And Schevchenko won it last yr.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
LMF^^ said:
^ LoL
Whatz "catch me fuck me"? :p
im feel sorry for his family knowing they've bred a retarded reds supporter...and then i feel bad for us reds supporters, and then anyone who loves football in general

pity...

BTW why is garcia on the list? im tired of him, he does nothing...sell him i say, garcia should be on it in his place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)