The Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I think he played at least as well in the world cup as Alonso, imo, but it was his relative inexperience at international level that meant his only start in the strongest side was against France (i.e. Saudi Arabia Aragones started the half of the squad that didn't get much time in the first two matches). I'd also doubt that based on WC form, had Lampard been Spanish, whether he'd have been selected over Alonso, Xavi or Cesc, so yeah.

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
its liverpool's season. i can feel it. actually i felt it last season too so i dunno.

but goooooooo reds!!!!!!! fark i want them to win the title so bad this time round, we got the fa cup and the champions league, this is it!!!!

and the likes of man utd or arsenal haven't proved they can beat chelsea of late.

an interesting seasons awaits.

starting with livo v. sheffield tomorrow

i for one.... am freakin excited :D

Liberal Scum

Banned
HSC
kunny funt said:
its liverpool's season. i can feel it. actually i felt it last season too so i dunno.

but goooooooo reds!!!!!!! fark i want them to win the title so bad this time round, we got the fa cup and the champions league, this is it!!!!

and the likes of man utd or arsenal haven't proved they can beat chelsea of late.

an interesting seasons awaits.

starting with livo v. sheffield tomorrow

i for one.... am freakin excited :D
Yeah, beating an underprepared and tired Chelsea who haven't played together in months is a great acheivement.

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
Liberal Scum said:
Yeah, beating an underprepared and tired Chelsea who haven't played together in months is a great acheivement.
lol umm good argument: "haa haa u didnt win it fair, the other team just sucked!" errrrrrr dude. chelsea started with like pretty much all of their best players and liverpool didnt even unleash their own big guns till later on in the game, so its fair to say it was evenly matched (perhaps even slightly in favour of chelsea). And given chelsea was underprepared, they shud hav made up for it with talent on the pitch.

dont be bitter man, its alright.. its alright.

hmm wat about the fa cup semi final? that was in like april.

Liberal Scum

Banned
HSC
What gave you the impression I'm a Chelsea supporter?

EDIT: My team beat Liverpool 2-1 last time they played, iirc. OMGZ BETTER THAN YOUZE!

Last edited:

Liberal Scum

Banned
HSC
If I tried counting I'd grossly underestimate, as evidenced from when I guessed I'd met 30 bosers then went down the user list and found almost 100 I'd met with post counts over 1000. But I'd say upwards of 15 bannings.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
unfortunately arsenal wont get gallas, im pretty sure he wants to get out of england, and he doesnt want to play at left back ... there is a ghanian dc currently on trial, we might sign him shilla Illisau, possibly chivu but i doubt it ...
confirmed kuyt to pool ...
wtf is going on with reyes ... he's not cup tied and real are being real cunts about it
arsenal are holding out for 25mil for cole, im not sure whats happening there, i doubt chelsea will pay up ...

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
If you look at the first choice XI though you'd have
Lehmann

Eboue/Lauren Senderos/Djourou Toure Flamini/Clichy

Rosicky Gilberto Fabregas Ljunberg

vPersie Henry

The first choice team I wouldn't say is composed primarily of young, underdeveloped players, except for two spots in the back line, given that Cesc and vP, while not at their full potential yet, are both world class players.
I rate Fabregas very highly, but I don't think he is world class. I don't even consider Lampard as world class, but that might just be me.

There was an article from England before that suggested both Lampard and Gerrard aren't really world class players like many claim them to be, and I tend to agree to a certain extent. Technically speakin, Lampard and Gerrard aren't in the same standards of many of their team mates, but they do come up with match winnin plays at critical moments in games which win them their acclaims.

One good run in the Champions League doesn't guarantee you repeated success, and I really doubt they can do much better now. The Arsenal squad doesn't have the best of atmospheres leadin up to the start of the season. Cole has been left out of the squad to face Villa, and I doubt Reyes would play too. Even if they stay on I'd doubt they would perform at their peaks. All this will have an adverse effect on the squad, which may hinder the performances of the younger players.

Your first choice line up probably won't be Wenger's first choice. I'd expect him to play Adebayor up front wit Henry.

kunny funt said:
lol umm good argument: "haa haa u didnt win it fair, the other team just sucked!" errrrrrr dude. chelsea started with like pretty much all of their best players and liverpool didnt even unleash their own big guns till later on in the game, so its fair to say it was evenly matched (perhaps even slightly in favour of chelsea). And given chelsea was underprepared, they shud hav made up for it with talent on the pitch.

dont be bitter man, its alright.. its alright.

hmm wat about the fa cup semi final? that was in like april.
The MLS All Star team also beat Chelsea, and those players will now become world beaters...? Quality can never make up for match fitness in sport at the top level. A fully fit West Brom can beat an unfit Chelsea side. Maybe you're gettin too excited there. But given that Rafa has now signed Kuyt you do now have a reason to cheer, but I have a slight feelin that he may flop in his first season.

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
lol im not saying that liverpool is going to win the season just because they beat chelsea in the community shield. im saying that out of the title contenders, liverpool has been the most proficient in beating chelsea in recent times, and i think everyone will agree that the name of the game this season is who can beat chelsea. not to mention livo's end of last season. the momentum is with us.

at the end of the day, im supporting my team no matter wat u fuckwits say.

good luck and enjoy the football:)

Fast_heinz

HSC
Khalid 'the cannibal' Bhoularouz --- one of the coolest defenders in the world --- going to Chelsea to replace Gallas. He's actually a good player and Abrahamovic would've gotten him dirt cheap.

He also made a good purchase in Kalou...but with Sheva coming in and Drogba still there, you've got to think that was a bad Shaun Wright-Phillipsesque career move from the young Dutch/Ivorian.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
kunny funt said:
liverpool has been the most proficient in beating chelsea in recent times, and i think everyone will agree that the name of the game this season is who can beat chelsea.
Of course being able to beat Chelsea will help towards winning the EPL title...but I disagree that this will be the ultimate factor in determining which side wins it. In my opinion, the 'name of the game' this season will be who can match Chelsea's consistency over the course of the whole season.

Your statement that Liverpool is the most proficient side in beating Chelsea in recent times is also arguable. Sure, Liverpool has a great recent history against Chelsea in cup matches...but how many times have you beaten them recently in regular EPL games?

kunny funt said:
not to mention livo's end of last season. the momentum is with us.
If this year's progress was to be forcast using data from the end of last season...then arguably the momentum is with Manchester United. Our run home last year was brilliant. I think that we have also won every pre-season match, including the Amsterdam tournament. The momentum is with Man United :).

...Anyway, i'm so excited about the start of the new season. Good luck to all of your teams, except for those of you that support Chelsea.:)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Fast_heinz said:
Khalid 'the cannibal' Bhoularouz --- one of the coolest defenders in the world --- going to Chelsea to replace Gallas. He's actually a good player and Abrahamovic would've gotten him dirt cheap.
Khalid Bhoularouz to Chelsea, eh?

...That provides yet another reason for me to hate them. Bhoularouz is the dirty cunt that took a chunk out of Cristiano Ronaldo's leg on purpose in the Holland v Portugal match. Since Bouhlahrouz can play left fullback, does that mean that Chelski no longer have their sights set on Cashley Cole.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
How crap was the AUstralia Kuwait match - both team are pathetic.. man.. is there any point in playing these matches?

its worse than Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh. in cricket.

Liberal Scum

Banned
HSC
kunny funt said:
lol im not saying that liverpool is going to win the season just because they beat chelsea in the community shield. im saying that out of the title contenders, liverpool has been the most proficient in beating chelsea in recent times, and i think everyone will agree that the name of the game this season is who can beat chelsea. not to mention livo's end of last season. the momentum is with us.

at the end of the day, im supporting my team no matter wat u fuckwits say.

good luck and enjoy the football:)
There are 38 games in a league season, only two of them are against Chelsea.

Liberal Scum

Banned
HSC
matt#1 said:
If this year's progress was to be forcast using data from the end of last season...then arguably the momentum is with Manchester United. Our run home last year was brilliant. I think that we have also won every pre-season match, including the Amsterdam tournament. The momentum is with Man United :).
Could make the exact same argument for Arsenal, lost only one of their last 11 last season, haven't lost a pre season game, hammered Zagreb in their first competitive match etc etc, but we have the Cole and Reyes transfers unsettling the team, and Man Utd has the same thing with Rooney/Scholes suspensions. We'll have to wait and see what happens in the next couple of days and how much the teams hammer their (relatively) soft opposition by.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Liberal Scum said:
There are 38 games in a league season, only two of them are against Chelsea.
My point exactly. Well said.

I am tipping Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham to all make winning starts to the season tonight. Can't wait.:)

Unfortunately, United will be without Gabriel Heinze, Nemanja Vidic and Michael Carrick for their season opener against Fulham on Sunday, but Wayne Rooney has been passed fit to play after overcoming a groin strain. Scholes and Rooney will then miss the next 3 games. That is a pretty disruptive start to the season...but I am confident that we have adequate replacements in these positions.

United are also very close to signing Owen Hargreaves. He was one of England's best at the World Cup...and was very impressive in the game against Greece the other night...but is he really the hard-tackling ball winning player that Manchester United so desperately need?

Last edited:

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
HotShot said:
How crap was the AUstralia Kuwait match - both team are pathetic.. man.. is there any point in playing these matches?

its worse than Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh. in cricket.
It's a qualification match for the Asian cup so of course there is a point playing these matches. I'd argue this is actually a class above the equivalent games Australia used to play against the likes of American Samoa and other pacific islanders.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Hahaha Sheffield up 1-0.
EDIT: Gerrard up to his antics once again, steals a penalty and it's 1-1.

Last edited:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Sheffield United 1-1 Liverpool ...and that's the way it finishes.

Disappointing start for Liverpool...but credit to Sheffield for being able to hang on and gain a very impressive opening day point.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)