The Official Football Thread 2007/08 (1 Viewer)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
seano77 said:
You obviously didn't watch the semi finals between these teams the last couple of years if you think it'll be boring.
Speaking as a Liverpool fan, these encounters were usually pretty boring but do contain nail biting action.
Usually 1st leg: 1 - 0 then 2nd leg: 0 - 0, or 1st leg: 1 - 0 then 2nd leg 1 - 0 and win on penalties

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
seano77 said:
You obviously didn't watch the semi finals between these teams the last couple of years if you think it'll be boring. Man Utd got such an easy run to the semi's. They always do. As for the Babel penalty, you have to watch Fabregas pull his arm before Toure came the other way. This is what Toure said to the ref, too. He says if you watch carefully "It wasn't me" after the ref gives him a yellow. The Hleb chance in the first leg wasn't a penalty. The ref had a clear view. Kuyt was shoulder to shoulder and Hleb suddenly went down dramatically. In the field of play it wouldn't be a foul. Why, since it is in the box, would it be any different?
Talk about having your blinkers on, you're clearly blinded by your team bias. Firstly, I watched both legs last season between Chelsea and Liverpool, and they were boring. Yes boring. If every time the camera shows Benitez saying to his players to keep the midfield "compact", then you know you're in for a snoozefest. That game against Arsenal at Anfield was probably the best game to watch since that Cup final against West Ham, and that's too long ago.

The pull on Hleb wasn't a penalty? Yeah it wasn't but it certainly deserved to be.

Oh and to say we had it easy to the semi-final is ridiculous. Lyon are the dominant team in Ligue 1, with brilliant players like Juninho and Benzema. Roma are certainly no slouches either, we just showed that we're a better team than them. And not to mention that we had a tougher group than any of the other English teams anyway. But whatever, I'm convinced that Liverpool will win nothing.

Here's hoping that they lose their grip on 4th place as well. :)

blakegman

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
Talk about having your blinkers on, you're clearly blinded by your team bias. Firstly, I watched both legs last season between Chelsea and Liverpool, and they were boring. Yes boring. If every time the camera shows Benitez saying to his players to keep the midfield "compact", then you know you're in for a snoozefest. That game against Arsenal at Anfield was probably the best game to watch since that Cup final against West Ham, and that's too long ago.

The pull on Hleb wasn't a penalty? Yeah it wasn't but it certainly deserved to be.

Oh and to say we had it easy to the semi-final is ridiculous. Lyon are the dominant team in Ligue 1, with brilliant players like Juninho and Benzema. Roma are certainly no slouches either, we just showed that we're a better team than them. And not to mention that we had a tougher group than any of the other English teams anyway. But whatever, I'm convinced that Liverpool will win nothing.

Here's hoping that they lose their grip on 4th place as well. :)
I agree with most of it except the bolded bit. To be fair
Group F only had Roma, sporting lisbon and dynamo kiev ( the only team to score 0 points). The only easier group i can see is Group B with chelsea and maybe group H with Arsenal. Maybe

LYon are dissapointments every year in the UCL, i think any team would have been happy to face them in the knockout stages. Roma are a decent side but nothing fantastic

In the knockouts i think only Chelsea and Barcelona have had easier draws.

After reading my thoughts, i actually probably don't disagree with you too much after all.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
blakegman said:
I agree with most of it except the bolded bit. To be fair
Group F only had Roma, sporting lisbon and dynamo kiev ( the only team to score 0 points). The only easier group i can see is Group B with chelsea and maybe group H with Arsenal. Maybe

LYon are dissapointments every year in the UCL, i think any team would have been happy to face them in the knockout stages. Roma are a decent side but nothing fantastic

In the knockouts i think only Chelsea and Barcelona have had easier draws.

After reading my thoughts, i actually probably don't disagree with you too much after all.
Compared to the draws Chelsea gets, we've had it tougher. Olympiakos and then Fenerbahce? Let's not forget Roma knocked out Real Madrid too, and dare I say they're the leading team in Spain atm.

Oh and don't forget all the easy draws in the FA Cup that Chelsea and Liverpool get, compared to ours, where we draw Premier League opposition every time.

Doesn't matter now, as I expected we beat Arsenal. But it was close, and we didn't play to our best. But 3 points is 3 points, and I'm happy to take it whatever way they come by. Thank you Hargreaves, you are a true star. As for Arsenal, another trophyless season, and Wenger's still being tight about spending. And what's with putting Song in the middle and Toure at right-back? Then subbing him off and replacing him with Hoyte instead? What a joke.

And Adebayor is a kunt. Every time he scores he acts like he's king. The way he celebrated his goal at Anfield the other night was disgraceful. Walcott made it and he just jiggled his way on the sideline. What a kunt.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
Compared to the draws Chelsea gets, we've had it tougher. Olympiakos and then Fenerbahce? Let's not forget Roma knocked out Real Madrid too, and dare I say they're the leading team in Spain atm.

Oh and don't forget all the easy draws in the FA Cup that Chelsea and Liverpool get, compared to ours, where we draw Premier League opposition every time.

Doesn't matter now, as I expected we beat Arsenal. But it was close, and we didn't play to our best. But 3 points is 3 points, and I'm happy to take it whatever way they come by. Thank you Hargreaves, you are a true star. As for Arsenal, another trophyless season, and Wenger's still being tight about spending. And what's with putting Song in the middle and Toure at right-back? Then subbing him off and replacing him with Hoyte instead? What a joke.

And Adebayor is a kunt. Every time he scores he acts like he's king. The way he celebrated his goal at Anfield the other night was disgraceful. Walcott made it and he just jiggled his way on the sideline. What a kunt.
I'll agree, Chelsea have had it easiest by far. Though sometimes playing the lower division teams in the fa cup is the trickiest, but thats an entirely different argument.

Adebayor probably gets it from Wenger, such an arrogant cunt, maybe because he is french. Adebayor thought he was fucking made when he tapped it in from 6 yards, yet none of his team mates congratulated him, because even i could have finished it off.

This season has changed my opinion on liverpool and arsenal. At the start i didnt mind arsenal and disliked liverpool, now i fucking hate arsenal more then man u, and have some respect for liverpool, they are battlers.

powerdrive

HSC
It's annoying being an arsenal fan when Wenger is blinded by his arrogance, ffs buy some decent players, senderos wtf he is thinking. We've been unlucky with injuries, with van persie who was looking like getting 25+ goals, and rosicky, but he didnt sign anyone in january. Arsenal have redefined self destruction.

Chelsea 1-1 Wigan, looks like chelsea's out of the race too, man utd only need 2 more wins.

walrusbear

HSC
yeah hopefully this will finally give wenger the hint to fix up the back and buy some new fucking players

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Senderos is shit.
Bendtner is shit.
Adebayor is a cunt.
Eboue is a shit midfeilder.
Gallas is a baby.
Wenger lives in denial and is a cheap bastard.

They need Thierry Henry back to control all the inflated ego's. Barcelona want to sell him to.

Though i like seeing them lose, so hopefully they make bendtner team captian.

walrusbear

HSC
we don't want henry back

can't really argue with any of those sadly :p
but why is adebayor a cunt?
and the jury is still out on bendter - he sucks in patches though, for sure

powerdrive

HSC
blakegman said:
Senderos is shit.
Bendtner is shit.
Adebayor is a cunt.
Eboue is a shit midfeilder.
Gallas is a baby.
Wenger lives in denial and is a cheap bastard.
lol true.

adebayor needs about 10 chances to score a goal. eboue is just crap, he does nothing but dive and moan. why the hell does wenger play him on the wing

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
Arsenal have been "a team in a growth stage" for soo long.
A few years back when Manchester united hadnt won the title for a while, poeple were calling for Sir alex to be axed. Now the same is happening with arsenal yet nothing has been said about wenger, who is to dependant on adebayor to score his goals and is afraid of spending a cent (although they did just get a new stadium).

Yes, they have a few injuries, but their back up players are people like Bendtner and Song who dont play well due to their lack of playing time (therefore experience), unlike manchester united who have players like Park ji sung, Darren Fletcher, Wes brown and Gerrard Pique to fill in, who if they moved to a different club, would be first team regulars. the bottom line is that arsenal lack the depth that is needed to win a premiership title.

el gwapo

HSC
The loss of Rosicky and Eduardo was a big blow - two of the 'experienced' players.

Having the best in-form player in the world of course helps Manchester United. But I agree that having consistent backups really help in top flight football.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
siddharthlaha said:
(although they did just get a new stadium).
I actually read that that stadium earns them like 80 million a year extra in revenue or something crazy. Granted it was debt financed, thats a fucking huge profit.

Edit: might not be 80, but it was a substantial amount

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
walrusbear said:
we don't want henry back

can't really argue with any of those sadly :p
but why is adebayor a cunt?
and the jury is still out on bendter - he sucks in patches though, for sure
Adebayor is a kunt because he enjoyed half a good season and thinks he's the new king of Arsenal. I guess some will say that's just the guy having confidence. But after watching him play lately, he clearly isn't showing any signs of confidence out on the pitch.

I've already mentioned before about how he celebrated the goal against Liverpool at Anfield. Everybody went to Walcott and congratulated him and Adebayor just had a dance on the sidelines like he deserves all the credit for tapping it in. He only acknowledged Walcott's efforts after realising he's a loner. Then against us on Sunday he celebrated his "hand of God" like a legit goal, jiggling and chest pumping his way around the pitch like he was king again. That guy has ego problems, he probably got it from Henry anyway.

There's a lot of ppl who will support Wenger, and our very own Sir Alex Ferguson is one of them. I've never seen him being more supportive towards Wenger than he has this season. But then Wenger can't hack it and still acts like a cry baby. One thing I don't like about him is he never admits that his team got beat on the day, it's always something that went against his team. Even on Sunday, he never mentioned anything about how well we played to win the game, but instead lamented his own team's misfortunes. Sour grapes, and it's no wonder that his team acts like kunts most of the times.

And Avram Grant really knows how to make jokes. He said that the second half against Wigan today was some of the best football that his side has produced. Sorry mate, but I count myself fortunate to have missed 70 minutes of this snoozefest. Chelsea were shite, and duly got punished. Credit to the Latics, they've done us a huge favour. Stevie Bruce, you are a true RED!

blakegman

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
And Avram Grant really knows how to make jokes. He said that the second half against Wigan today was some of the best football that his side has produced. Sorry mate, but I count myself fortunate to have missed 70 minutes of this snoozefest. Chelsea were shite, and duly got punished. Credit to the Latics, they've done us a huge favour. Stevie Bruce, you are a true RED!
I saw the extended highlights and it seemed chelsea were creating chances left right and centre ?

i don;t even remember other then 1 decent wigan chance. But i have to admit i wasnt fully paying attention.

That said maybe the game was boring as bat shit, it can be hard to tell from highlights. But either wya my impression was that on another day it coulda been 3 or 4-1

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
blakegman said:
I saw the extended highlights and it seemed chelsea were creating chances left right and centre ?

i don;t even remember other then 1 decent wigan chance. But i have to admit i wasnt fully paying attention.

That said maybe the game was boring as bat shit, it can be hard to tell from highlights. But either wya my impression was that on another day it coulda been 3 or 4-1
If you saw the extended highlights then the chances you saw were all the chances they created all night. Either way they were crap, and the second half was nowhere near the best football that Chelsea is capable of.

Anyway Wigan had chances near the end of the game. But it's about putting the ball in the net that counts. Chelsea did it once, and so did the Latics.

I really do think the race can well and truly be over this weekend...

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Have to beat Everton for sure. Can't drop a point from here to stand a chance.

I'd be surprised if the mancs lost it from here though. Kind of an anti climax too because i don't think chelsea have been the better team over the course of the season no matter what happens from here.

Still be funny though. Ferguson would go ape shit and Ronaldo would cry.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Oh and to say we had it easy to the semi-final is ridiculous. Lyon are the dominant team in Ligue 1, with brilliant players like Juninho and Benzema. Roma are certainly no slouches either, we just showed that we're a better team than them.
Yes, but compared to Arsenal, Porto, Marseille and Inter Milan that we have had to face in our campaign Utd have had it easy.

Gay Captain

HSC
seano77 said:
Yes, but compared to Arsenal, Porto, Marseille and Inter Milan that we have had to face in our campaign Utd have had it easy.
arsenal and porto can't have been too hard considering we put 4 past both of them :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)