The official Medical Science thread (1 Viewer)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
You're at the end of first year so it's probably not a bad idea to start thinking about it. Maybe if you wait until next semester when you're doing second year. But you also need to check with him whether it can be done with the double degree. He's pretty approachable so I doubt he'll back hand you for being pompous :p

Dombrovski

HSC
Yeah, good idea. I'll check with him when I start asking about placement next year

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
im considering biomedical science at newcastle the course looks really interesting but i'm not sure what jobs i will be looking at by the time i finish. A friend of mine told me the best way to be a paramedic is to do a medical science degree first and then train to become a paramedic after (apparently you get paid like 4 times as much this way). I'm also looking at graduate medicine (can i get into grad med after three years of do i have to do honors?) Obviously transfering would be difficult... What other careers do i get out of this career? (i DO NOT want to end up doing research bleh, but cardio technichian seem ok). Any reply would be much appreciated

sam5

HSC
im considering biomedical science at newcastle the course looks really interesting but i'm not sure what jobs i will be looking at by the time i finish. A friend of mine told me the best way to be a paramedic is to do a medical science degree first and then train to become a paramedic after (apparently you get paid like 4 times as much this way). I'm also looking at graduate medicine (can i get into grad med after three years of do i have to do honors?) Obviously transfering would be difficult... What other careers do i get out of this career? (i DO NOT want to end up doing research bleh, but cardio technichian seem ok). Any reply would be much appreciated
Hey thats funny. Im doin the same degree as u!

Jobs: pathology, postgrad medicine, paramedic, medical research, pharmacy (with the new uni 2 year Master of Pharmacy)..... not much sure bout the rest.

I dont think u can transfer to medicine. For pple like me and u to do postgrad medicine, we would have to do do it in sydney for 4 years followed by an intern year. Theres 3 unis in the state where u can do postgrad as far as im concerned. We would do that after our 3 years of biomed, we dont have to do honours (thats only research anyway).

I wanna do pathology work. DW im not keen on research either. Pathology seems an interesting field, easy job (i did work experience at the Symbion lab in Kotara and got an insight into the job) but the only problem is the low pay. To get pay above $70,000 u need to be lab manager, or become a pathologist. I always wanted to be a pathologist but then i realised how i had to do medicine first, and that put me off a bit, cos im not that keen to be on the public health scene. Looks like i will have to just go with bein lab manager....

Do u know anyother pple from ur school that wanna do biomed at new uni? Do u recon it will have many candidates?

Lukybear

HSC
Survivor, are you doing a PhD at Cambridge, the Uni of Cambridge in the UK? Because if so that is quite brilliant. How did u get in and what are you researching? Is it a scholarship?

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
Hey thats funny. Im doin the same degree as u!

Jobs: pathology, postgrad medicine, paramedic, medical research, pharmacy (with the new uni 2 year Master of Pharmacy)..... not much sure bout the rest.

I dont think u can transfer to medicine. For pple like me and u to do postgrad medicine, we would have to do do it in sydney for 4 years followed by an intern year. Theres 3 unis in the state where u can do postgrad as far as im concerned. We would do that after our 3 years of biomed, we dont have to do honours (thats only research anyway).

I wanna do pathology work. DW im not keen on research either. Pathology seems an interesting field, easy job (i did work experience at the Symbion lab in Kotara and got an insight into the job) but the only problem is the low pay. To get pay above $70,000 u need to be lab manager, or become a pathologist. I always wanted to be a pathologist but then i realised how i had to do medicine first, and that put me off a bit, cos im not that keen to be on the public health scene. Looks like i will have to just go with bein lab manager....

Do u know anyother pple from ur school that wanna do biomed at new uni? Do u recon it will have many candidates?
u going to new castle?? I looked at the subject list and it all looks awsome i love everything to do with biology and how the human body works etc so it looks like a really interesting course. And pathology would be a really interesting career and to me $70 000 is more than enough. As long as I love my job and can pay the bills thats all i really care about. I think paramedic or doctor would be cool too so it might offer me alot of options.

I am the only one i know of going for this course in New Castle it is high 80's which is achievable for me but in other places it is low 90's.

Any way thanks for the reply and goodluck getting into the course you want

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
A friend of mine told me the best way to be a paramedic is to do a medical science degree first and then train to become a paramedic after (apparently you get paid like 4 times as much this way)
I'm not sure about the pay but I would imagine it would be really hard work and youhave to be on call, probably 24 hours.

I'm also looking at graduate medicine (can i get into grad med after three years of do i have to do honors?) Obviously transfering would be difficult... What other careers do i get out of this career? (i DO NOT want to end up doing research bleh, but cardio technichian seem ok). Any reply would be much appreciated
Yes you can get into graduate medicine after 3 years (from any discipline). Almost all graduate medical degrees are 4 yeas in length. This option requires you to sit a 5.5 hr GAMSAT Test.

To get into the UNSW Medical Program, you can complete a 4 year MedSc (Hons, at least Class 2.1), and compete for ~16-20 spots available and they will transfer you directly to 4th year medicine. You then complete 4th, 5th and 6th year at UNSW Medicine. You will graduate with a BMedSc (Hons) and MBBS.

For careers after MedSc alone, check out other posts that I've made.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Survivor, are you doing a PhD at Cambridge, the Uni of Cambridge in the UK?
Yes I am in England now at the University of Cambridge.

Because if so that is quite brilliant.
Thanks! :D

How did u get in and what are you researching? Is it a scholarship?
I got quite good marks in my Medical Science degree so I decided to give it a go and see if Cambridge will have me. I also wanted an overseas experience. I applied online, with the support of 3 academic referees. In the end, I got a fully-funded scholarship to do a PhD. I am working on immunology, looking at how different components of a cell affect how we fight and clear pathogens.

The University is stunningly beautiful and every where you look you see amazing architecture full of 800 years of history.

Are you considering going overseas to study?

sam5

HSC
u going to new castle?? I looked at the subject list and it all looks awsome i love everything to do with biology and how the human body works etc so it looks like a really interesting course. And pathology would be a really interesting career and to me $70 000 is more than enough. As long as I love my job and can pay the bills thats all i really care about. I think paramedic or doctor would be cool too so it might offer me alot of options.

I am the only one i know of going for this course in New Castle it is high 80's which is achievable for me but in other places it is low 90's.

Any way thanks for the reply and goodluck getting into the course you want

yeah im goin to newcastle. Same course as u.

Yeah i liked the course as well so i think i will enjoy it. Hope u do too.

Ur the only 1 at ur school? ive got a couple of mates doin it too, but im not sure if they will get the ATAR requirement lol.

Do u live in newcastle? (i ask this cos u dont seem to know much about newcastle, e.g. u call it New Castle instead of Newcastle. )

Tim035

HSC
I'd love to go overseas for work / research following honors this year, probably the states though. I've started doing some cell culturing, my supervisor gave me some tubes to take home so I can practice screwing the lids off and on using my non-dominant hand, lol.

mis0705

Not a new member
HSC
Do not do a B Med Sci degree.. it's dud and is useless.. and don't rely on "I'm going to try and get into med/dent".. cos it's still a dud degree.. you're better off doing a B Sci where you get to do things you'll enjoy.

Dombrovski

HSC
Do not do a B Med Sci degree.. it's dud and is useless.. and don't rely on "I'm going to try and get into med/dent".. cos it's still a dud degree.. you're better off doing a B Sci where you get to do things you'll enjoy.
Um. I can't speak for everyone, but I am doing Med Sci, I am enjoying it, and I am really pumped for next year.

I enjoy science, simple, and I chose MedSci coz I wanted to give my future career in science a definite context. By choosing med sci I made a commitment to people and their health.
I'm not saying BSci lacks direction, but it helps to have a general idea instead of having multiple majors and minors to choose, and then worrying if you've chosen the right ones for you.

And not everyone (shock, horror) does it for medicine :speechless:.

Also, If I did a BSci, I would still have access to a significant amount of Med Sci subjects, as they are offered in that degree...

:D but hey, thats just my opinion

HSC
http://community.boredofstudies.org...al-science-society-any-questions-you-got.html

This is a link to a well that the Students of Medical Science Society (SMSSOC) UNSW. Basically, you ask any question, ad you'll get an answer to it from anyonewho has done the course on careers, life at UNSW med sci, etc, etc. The people that'll answer your questions hav don the degree or are currently completing.

Just posted this here cause there is like no traffic at all at UNSW science thread.

Also --> there is more to the careers section than just being a scientist and teaching. For e.g; I found out today that the CEOo of the NSW branch of the Australian Dental Association did a science degree where he took a tonne of medical science courses; fwiw.

lyk-wateva

HSC
hey people...i was wondering is one likely to find a job after 3 years of Medical Science alone or do u have to do a PhD or MD???

Dombrovski

HSC
hey people...i was wondering is one likely to find a job after 3 years of Medical Science alone or do u have to do a PhD or MD???
I'm going to go with yes; there are (supposedly) a lot of Med Sci jobs available(esp. in Path), its just that they aren't advertised as much because there is a low/zero response rate to them.

Have a look at this website:
HealthJobs - Health Jobs List
Its got the NSW health jobs available :) I've put it on to where the scientific jobs start (down the bottom)

Queensland Pathology is pretty much always looking for Grad students. They have a single major pathology system which covers the entire state.

...still, accreditation by AIMS would be the most important thing I'm guessing when applying for some of these positions

lyk-wateva

HSC
I'm going to go with yes; there are (supposedly) a lot of Med Sci jobs available(esp. in Path), its just that they aren't advertised as much because there is a low/zero response rate to them.

Have a look at this website:
HealthJobs - Health Jobs List
Its got the NSW health jobs available :) I've put it on to where the scientific jobs start (down the bottom)

Queensland Pathology is pretty much always looking for Grad students. They have a single major pathology system which covers the entire state.

...still, accreditation by AIMS would be the most important thing I'm guessing when applying for some of these positions

Thanks alot :)

Corvid

HSC
N/A
http://community.boredofstudies.org...al-science-society-any-questions-you-got.html

This is a link to a well that the Students of Medical Science Society (SMSSOC) UNSW. Basically, you ask any question, ad you'll get an answer to it from anyonewho has done the course on careers, life at UNSW med sci, etc, etc. The people that'll answer your questions hav don the degree or are currently completing.

Just posted this here cause there is like no traffic at all at UNSW science thread.

Also --> there is more to the careers section than just being a scientist and teaching. For e.g; I found out today that the CEOo of the NSW branch of the Australian Dental Association did a science degree where he took a tonne of medical science courses; fwiw.
Link doesnt work, heres a working on: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=231369

Bobbo1

HSC
What are the chances getting into med sci if my ATAR is a bit below the cut off (at usyd or unsw)?

and if I dont get in first year, is it possible to do the same subjects in a normal science degree and then transfer or something?
USYD does not have an undergraduate medicine program unless you get 99.95 and I'm pretty sure UNSW also has a very competitive ATAR requirement. And I don't think a normal science degree would cover any medicine subjects unfortunately...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)