The Official Wild Swans thread (1 Viewer)

flyhigh

But in class we haven't been focusing on characters, mostly on textual integrity and different readings. Although they could ask you how would a character in the book receive the book? would they agree with Jung's writing on communism? That would be in correlation with different readings, East Vs West readings.

phungus

HSC
We are given one of the questions at the end of exam one abt the transformations half and then the next bit is abt the review of Wild Swans that we got rite?

Originally posted by MissSavage29
a couple of years ago they asked you to write a feature article based on a conversation b/w de-hong and teh guy that had arrested her in primary school for suspicion of being a communist.

he wasn't a well known character - while you didn't need to know terribly much about him it was importnat to know who he was so they can do that again
Yeah i guess it's better to noe background info abt each character in the text just in case

flyhigh

At the end of English paper 1 we are given 3 possible Q's on Transformations, one of which will be the Q in the paper 2 exam. And the WS Q will be based on the review where you will have to incorporate ideas from the review in your answer.

monaro-man

Ramen Raider
HSC
Originally posted by flyhigh
At the end of English paper 1 we are given 3 possible Q's on Transformations, one of which will be the Q in the paper 2 exam. And the WS Q will be based on the review where you will have to incorporate ideas from the review in your answer.
<freak out>

yes, about that review. I have read it twice now and dont see much relating to textual integrity. There are some faint references to readings and comparisons to western society (for some reason) but no useful material. Also, will the examiners be providing the review in the actual exam room? Does the same apply for our stimulus "the flowers"?

</freak out>

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
notes...

hey people - first objection to new thread title... :p lol there's other schools suffering too...

ummm i tried to send those notes and for some it worked and others it was just really anoying so i thought i'd type the jist of them here - they were basically some qu's and terms that might be helpful... so yeah...

sheet one-
- how does teh personal voice shape our responce to the historical and social contexts presented in WS?

- two people who value your prescribed text in different ways and for different reasons are having a converation. Compose their converation which should include consideration of the struture, language nad ideas of teh text

- analyse what a critical sutyd of WS reveals abot the kind of text it is?

- "jung chang's prose style is perfectly stuited to her subject matter" assess the accuracy of this statement.

-this is a family memorie that has the breadth of the most enduring social history M. Amis - you have been aksed to write a report for the Chinese Daily for governemtn records on teh extent to which government plays a role in the life of an individial.

- for ws discuss what had teh greatest impact on the compser, the state or family

flyhigh

just finished enlgish advanced paper 2.

the question on WS went something like this:

You are at a meeting for a group of publishers you are to argue for or against whether WS should be republished in 2004 for America, Australia and England

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
hey kids, how was the WS exam?

did you think you were well prepared? did you write everything you wanted to say? etc

tell us your experiences. do you think there's anything you should be checking out more in depth before trials and hsc come?

also, im thinking this thread should get a sticky

flyhigh

well i wrote about how it should be published for america, australia and england because of its expected reception of the text in those particular countries. I wrote about western readings and how westerners would see it as a dominant reading whereas eastern would have a resistant reading towards it. Also wrote about genres and how it could be recieved as a family saga, political and historical. Moreover, the reason i agreed for it to be published in those particular countries was based on the review, where the author gave a positive response to WS.

ms.cinderella

HSC
Originally posted by flyhigh
well i wrote about how it should be published for america, australia and england because of its expected reception of the text in those particular countries. I wrote about western readings and how westerners would see it as a dominant reading whereas eastern would have a resistant reading towards it. Also wrote about genres and how it could be recieved as a family saga, political and historical. Moreover, the reason i agreed for it to be published in those particular countries was based on the review, where the author gave a positive response to WS.
hm, i argued how it shouldn't have been published.. but from what you've just written.. arguing in favour of republishing the book in western countries might've been a good argument i should've touched on... oh dear.. well, no use dwelling over it now... lol

jimmik

HSC
sowi im slow..comp stuffed up n had to get it fixed n formatted etc so havent been to site in a while..jus askin so i could help if u needed..

:'(

T

timbk2

guys if you want to share your wild swans notes on BOS, we've completed the submission system.

I will try get them up within the day.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
wow i was just reading wild swans for fun after a recommendation from a dancer friend...and then one day we were talking about texts in class and i said something about wild swans and my teacher nearly had a heart attack, "that is a WONDERFUL book! it's on the english extension list!!! If you can read and understand that book well that would be GREAT!!!" She seemed very excited...

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Originally posted by Komaticom
You read it for fun? There is nothing fun about it, on the contrary, it's a painful depiction of one generation of family suffering under Communist rule. "Fun" is not the most apt word to describe the book.
I guess "fun" was the wrong word to describe why I read it. My friend who has watched me grow up to be...I dunno, anyways, he's watched me grow up being isolated from my family and he's always telling me, "embrace your culture!!"...and my sister who's living in China is continuously frustrated at the stupidity of her Chinese students and neighbours...and I could never understand why my family wouldn't speak to me about the past - an aunty gave me a few hints...and then a dancer friend said I should read this book, it'd be good for me, so I have. I found it quite enjoyable...I plan to read it again, it's the kind of stuff I should remember forever. I'm quite familiar with the kind of suffering Communism brought about.

And woww...our locations are the same, haha, but spelt differently.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Originally posted by timbk2
guys if you want to share your wild swans notes on BOS, we've completed the submission system.

I will try get them up within the day.
i've posted my half yearly notes up for you guys - hy\ope they are helpful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)