The Official Wild Swans thread (1 Viewer)

neonazi

Yeah we just started doin Wild Swans at my school. It is as long as hell hey? I not likin that too nmuch. anyways i dont have any notes on it or anythin so yeh.

jeneshi

HSC
um does anyone have a good summary of wild swans please? i think i need it (as do others)!!! thnx if you upload it or something

life4_rent

textual integrity?

sorry for bringing up this stupid topic again, but our trials are coming up and i hav to say i'm so screwed for the wild swans section.. i've already read the book twice and still i don't have a coherent idea on exactly what the book is generally about.

in terms of textual integrity, should i be arguing that it DOES hav textual integrity, or it doesnt? from what i HAVE read so far and from the <lack of> notes that repin's given us, it doesn't.

reasons for lacking textual integrity:-

*it covers a range of genres, not just the one - many books cover a range of genres, but at least most of them generally stick to the one distiguishable genre i think this is an important point) WS can easily be mistakened for a biography/autobiography/historybook/family saga/romance etc.. im guessing what i hav to do in terms of argue in this point is point out all the differences in the genre? also, it being true to its form, means that it sticks with the one genre, right?

*it doesn't hold together as a text - not sure how to expand on this.. maybe somethign to do with the fact that she is SUBJECTIVE (propaganda?) when it comes to historical facts?

*different readings - western vs. eastern; is this to do with textual integrity? the fact that WS has so many readings/opinions on it means that it doesnt have textual integrity? this also has to do with the type of audience/purpose she is writing the book for, right, ie. social context (1990s vs. now)

i dont know, thats all i've gotten up til now.. hope it's working well together.. any tips on how to refine that info? thanx!!

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
would the feminst aspect come into it here?
And the fact that it was a female author from a privilleged background so its only a minute part of society...

i'm getting a bit worried now cause our teacher hasn't mentioned texutal integrity?

life4_rent

hmm.. im thinkin feminist approach might have somethign to do with it.. thats to do with it be subjective, i think.. i might be wrong =)

lol.. thats wat our school zoomed in on.. "TEXTUAL INTEGRITY".. maybe u should look up some stuff on it, cuz it IS in the syllabus..

dont stress babez.. im sure the majority of us who do noe about textual integrity, dont really noe wat it means (inc. me!)

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
yeah i think i'll look that up... hummm nice 2 c everyone else is confident with this though :rolleyes: lol

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Kiddies!

Do you need "Wild Swans" help?

Post now while us 03'ers still have the time...

flyhigh

babydoll_ said:
Kiddies!

Do you need "Wild Swans" help?

Post now while us 03'ers still have the time...
hmmm when interpreting WS as a family saga, are there any discrepancies? as in are there any stylistic features which contradicts the conventions of family saga? the only problem i could find was that detail of Jung's siblings and her father's story are lacking in detail, for example Xiao Hong's marriage and Jin Ming's trouble with possessing books.

Also are there any structural inconsistencies in WS?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Keep in mind that Chang's story is based mainly on Jung's accounts and her mother's accounts of the stories. Therefore, the stories are based mainly on a feminine POV which may be biased towards Jung and her mother...

Structural inconsistencies aplenty! this leads to the idea of textual integrity.... Changes in language (objective, subjective, descriptive, neutral etc) indicates changes in structure and form, from historical to biographical to political.... basically if you have any idea about textual integrity, then you'll know about the structural inconsistencies too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)