The PAU/The Arts Unit Thread: Music (2 Viewers)

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
KylieR said:
Can anyone tell me about Southern Stars?

I know it is on 3rd & 4th September... at Wollongong Entertainment Centre...

When do the tickets open? And were do I get them from?
whats that

skankit

is anyone in jazz orchestra? coz i wanna try out for spec stage band, i mean i put my form in and stuff but i dunno if ill get in?? how many of the jazz orchestra trumpets are trying out?

robbo conducts my school band, he said he thought i had a chance, but what do u guys reckon?

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
skankit said:
is anyone in jazz orchestra? coz i wanna try out for spec stage band, i mean i put my form in and stuff but i dunno if ill get in?? how many of the jazz orchestra trumpets are trying out?

robbo conducts my school band, he said he thought i had a chance, but what do u guys reckon?

hey!!! im auditioning for the spec stage band too!! i know a few people in the pau stage bands... hopefully the pau people will give us all a fair go and not let the people who are already in the stage band take priority over the others. I know that i wont get in but im gona try out anyway just for the fun of it. I reckon they shouldnt get paul panichi or whoever it was to play lead trumpet- the shows meant to be for school kids!! some kids can play just as high as him!! hehe

skankit

yeah, paul panichi is the NICEST guy in the world, but i totally agree

although i think this year its gonna be a student? i cant remember his name but apparently hes AWESOME!!! like he can play up to Fs and Gs and stuff!

ive sent my form in and i really wanna do it, except i just realised i cant coz im on schoolies from the 20-27th of november, and there are rehersals during that week and the performances start, like, on the 25th or something, so even if i came bak from schoolies early (which i would TOTALLY do), id miss the last one or two rehersals, which are most important!

bumming!!!!!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
skankit said:
yeah, paul panichi is the NICEST guy in the world, but i totally agree

although i think this year its gonna be a student? i cant remember his name but apparently hes AWESOME!!! like he can play up to Fs and Gs and stuff!

ive sent my form in and i really wanna do it, except i just realised i cant coz im on schoolies from the 20-27th of november, and there are rehersals during that week and the performances start, like, on the 25th or something, so even if i came bak from schoolies early (which i would TOTALLY do), id miss the last one or two rehersals, which are most important!

bumming!!!!!
are you thinking of james? cos he can play way higher than that!! And oh this little kid from my school in year 8 hes in stage band he can play high G's and stuff altough he can play higher - but not as loud! hehe hes a freak

skankit

i cant remember.. but oh to be talented!

have you ever heard harry play? the little pianist whos in yr 7 and plays with james morrison? man hes a freak, hes just so good, and sooooooooo small... its so unfair!!! i wish i just had natural talent like that!!!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
skankit said:
i cant remember.. but oh to be talented!

have you ever heard harry play? the little pianist whos in yr 7 and plays with james morrison? man hes a freak, hes just so good, and sooooooooo small... its so unfair!!! i wish i just had natural talent like that!!!
yeah i reckon! hehe

skankit

is anyone else gonna be only schoolies then ands till doing it? i want to... but not only will i have to leave schoolies 2 days early (bumming!) but ill also miss at least one, if nto two rehersals...

sucks! i really wanted to do it!:(

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
skankit said:
is anyone else gonna be only schoolies then ands till doing it? i want to... but not only will i have to leave schoolies 2 days early (bumming!) but ill also miss at least one, if nto two rehersals...

sucks! i really wanted to do it!:(
dont go to schooolies then!! but if you must, remember to take your trumpet with you!! hehehe. Damn, PAU gets all pushy when it comes to missing rehearsals dont they. O well... what do you have to do for the stage band audition???

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
hey.. anyone know of any really good trumpet players that are audtioning for the school spec orchestra, i think i've worked out three of the trumpet section but you never know.(and yes trumpet_geek your one of them :) )

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
timyates_87 said:
hey.. anyone know of any really good trumpet players that are audtioning for the school spec orchestra, i think i've worked out three of the trumpet section but you never know.(and yes trumpet_geek your one of them :) )

but you havent even heard me play!!! You wont believe how much i suck. They will probably just get all the PAU people. As usual. Who cares!

skankit

trumpet geek said:
dont go to schooolies then!! but if you must, remember to take your trumpet with you!! hehehe. Damn, PAU gets all pushy when it comes to missing rehearsals dont they. O well... what do you have to do for the stage band audition???
hehe my friends would KILL me if i took my trumpet with me!!!

for the stage band audition i think you just need to know scales and a piece, and theyll give you sight reading. i got told that its best to show off your technical ability, not your chops, coz they already know whos gonna be playing first so theres really no point. so yeah, do something that has a challenging head and then do a solo too, although theyll prolly stop you after a few seconds

ahhh sight reading... how i suck at you..

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
so.. SWE are playing at States on the 18th. im thinking about going cause i wanna see them beat City of Syndey again ahaha...anyone else going to support our great concert band!!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
timyates_87 said:
so.. SWE are playing at States on the 18th. im thinking about going cause i wanna see them beat City of Syndey again ahaha...anyone else going to support our great concert band!!

OUR BRASS BAND WON THE JUNIOR A GRADE!!!!! YEAH!!!! GO US!!!! We played pretty well so im happy about that.... except for the fact that i split a few high C's in the hymn. But i nailed the octave leap to a high D in the test piece so yeah that makes up for it!!! Our soprano cornet players the best!!!!! He fully nailed the high D (which is like a high G on a Bb cornet) and he almost exploeded while playing the final chord of the piece hehe! Oh and Sutherland were really good too... wow theyre cornet section is great!!!!!! Hehe i noticed half of Wollongong were made up of Gunnedah people?!?!

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Hey, cool to have a thread on this. I've done the arts unit stuff for a few years (orchestra for a couple years, stage band last year and jazz orchestra this year) and it's awesome fun, best of luck to those of you who are trying out. Unfortunately I wont be continuing next year cause of year 12 :( which is a bit of a shame. For those of you talking about doing school spec: it's fun (ish) but if you don't get in just remember that they're playing that theme song from 'queer eye for the straight guy' ('all things keep getting better' or however it goes) so you're only missing out on so much.

tollo

Not to bombard your converstaion or anything,

I finished school last year an have been in heaps of PAU ensembles in my day ie: SSSWE, Stage Band 1, Choral Concerts Orchestra, Junior and Senior Music Camps..... and seriously there is an enormous degree of favouritism. Look at the band that went to North Sea in March!?

Whoever says there isn't is kidding themselves. I got into heaps of bands and got asked to play in some with mediocure auditions. The only bad times were when I got benson off side for my part in a stupid act on tour- signed a contract of last chance etc...

If you want to succeed in the PAU do the following:

i) Start in year5 at junior music camp
ii) befriend tutors/ conductors
iii) stay in an ensemble throughout all of high school

Dont get me wrong, it was an awesome time and I still see heaps of mates from the bands, but I feel sorry for guys that are bunted from bands just cause steve or whoever does auditions doesnt know them.

Having said that, PAU rocksor and Trumpet geek, you should have joined earlier.

are you sure you're not walnitzer pretending to be in yr 12? ps. anyone thinking of studing at the con or whatever, go for it. You'll have a blast

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
tollo said:
Having said that, PAU rocksor and Trumpet geek, you should have joined earlier.

are you sure you're not walnitzer pretending to be in yr 12? ps. anyone thinking of studing at the con or whatever, go for it. You'll have a blast
Damn... how did you know i was Wolnizer (correct spelling)? Thats right im pretending to be in year 12. NOOOOOOOO!!!! AS IF!!! Seriously, if i really was him, then PAU would love me cos he can play ridiculously high and loud and would be playin lead trumpet in the stage band and perhaps be told by steve to repeat year 12 just to be in the PAU ensembles...

Yeah i should have joined earlier.... but i didnt find out about PAU until i was in year 9 or somthing and yeah i spose i was never good enough to get in... I just did my last school spectacular auditions ever for stage band and orchestra.... i hope i get in!! If i dont, then at least ive kept up the long running tradition of not getting in and missing out and watching it on tv wishing i was in it...

tollo

Well hope that all went well and you got in - then I might actually see who you are

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)