The Simple Gift (1 Viewer)

laurajw

HSC
"Do we consider this text to be poetry or poetry/novel ?"
It's a prose novel. As it says on the cover; "the simple gift, a novel". It's considered a novel because it is an extended story with character development and chapters.

HSC
Hey

Do you people know if we're allowed to do "the simple gift" as our related text?
My core text is "As you like it". But I've read this novel, and I find it very intersting and I really want to do it.

thanks

SnowKit

HSC
Does anyone have any notes on the techneques used in the Simple gift? I need more of them in my speech!!

hentaisama

HSC
doubt you can choose a prescribed text as a related text. bad luck.

btw isnt now a bit late to be discussing related texts? my first assesment is in two days :( !

em-leee91

HSC
simple gift/related texts?

Hey im doing the simple gift but i need realted txts that fit my thesis

To belong, self identity, commitment of shared values and personal connection through relationships are transformed from feelings of disconnection and isolation.

im thinking either secret garden
dead poets society
red tree
kaloola
lored of the flies

i need help :(:jaw:

alexisjade

HSC
N/A
Re: simple gift/related texts?

the movie Good will hunting is a really good movie to relate to the simple gift.

(matt damon be afleck robin williams)

will is a young genius that was abandonded as a child and grew up in abuse foster homes and was befriended by a counsellor..and so on

it relates to the simpl gift really well

pale-perfect

HSC
Belonging in "the Simple Gift"

I have to do a speech on "belonging in terms of notions of identity" in Steven Herrick's 'The Simple Gift'. Im out of ideas and i have to make a study aid to go along with it...any ideas??

HSC
yep, im doing the simple gift as well.
we have an assessment for it due soon, then its off to the next module :D
yay-the book is great! belonging is really beginning to get on my nerves though.

ohjessica

HSC
the simple gift - rebric URGENT

help!..

i need to write a page of notes for a study aid on this part of the rubric on the simple gift!

belonging can allow an individual to challenge a community
and dont know what to write!!

im stuck on what to write! any help please?

due 2moz and i havent started (due to personal reasons) !!!

this is not the only part of the assignment, argh theres heaps more :(
guna be a late night!

Last edited:

thepoison

HSC
Need some help with the simple gift - Belonging

Hey, im doing an assignment on The Simple Gift and im in the need for some of the techniques used to create a sense of belonging.

I have a few points down but im after some more. Thanks if anyone can help

~ThePoison

-shAwty-oO1-

HSC
heyy..

im thinking of using "The Arrival" for my related text in my speech..
if any one has any techniques on it...plzz helpp...

-shAwty-oO1-

HSC
Re: simple gift/related texts?

em-leee91 said:
Hey im doing the simple gift but i need realted txts that fit my thesis

To belong, self identity, commitment of shared values and personal connection through relationships are transformed from feelings of disconnection and isolation.

im thinking either secret garden
dead poets society
red tree
kaloola
lored of the flies

i need help :(:jaw:
OMG...thankyou...i would have never thought of using Dead poets society as a related text.. we did it as our main text in year 11 so, i think i'll still have notes on it..:D :D :D

i'll try and find some good one's and post it soon...

Last edited:

cxlxoxk

HSC
Re: Need some help with the simple gift - Belonging

i studied the simple gift as part of "Journeys", i got no idea about belonging, but i'll give it a shot...

- When Caitlin and Billy are having intimate moments, there is a lot of words that say that Billy wishes he could stay at that moment forever, belonging to the moment... =S.

I don't have the book anymore. Nor do i know anything about the study area of "Belonging", it's new...

thepoison

HSC
Re: Need some help with the simple gift - Belonging

ok thanks :p

HSC
laurajw said:
This is an exercise we did in class. We each got a chapter. This is mine. Hope it helps you to relate techniques to belonging.

Chapter 5 – Techniques

Epigrams and images:
 “A kid who cant leave well enough alone” – this quote shows that Billy is interfering in Old Bill’s life and that they are developing a grudging relationship, at least on old Bill’s part.
 The image for this chapter is a ladder – possibly symbolic for their slowly developing friendship… one step at a time.

Language devices:
 Oxymoron – “rich and penniless”, p. 81, devalues material wealth making the point that it is not essential to belonging.
 Imagery/Metaphor – “the deep radiant colour burning gold, the bubbles dancing ballet-perfect to the rim, the sweet-bitter smell of malt and barley”, p. 95, engages the readers sense of sight and smell, allowing them to imagine the scene.
 Enjambment – “alone”, p. 84, highlights the fact that Old Bill is isolated.
 Metaphor – “… my sweet, lovely Jessie fell, and I fell with her and I’ve been falling ever since”, p. 98, Jessie’s fall is compared to Old Bill’s descent into isolation.

Symbolism:
 Ring – “I chose the thick silver ring with the green emerald stone small and shining green like her eyes”, p. 83, shows Billy is conforming to the rituals of society and that he feels he belongs with Caitlin.

Structure and juxtaposition:
 Kate’s experience with sex is contrasted with the emotional connection Billy and Caitlin share, “… we slept together only we really did just sleep together content to waste the hours”, 94.

Narrative, Perspective and Characterisation:
 Characters are gradually revealed – The relation of memories allows the reader to better understand the motives of the different characters eg. Billy: “I help Old bill because of Ernire and Irene… Because when I was twelve years old…”, p. 85, and Old Bill’s past is related in “Old Bill’s Fall”, p. 96-98.
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww! thankssssssssssssssssssss!

northbank

HSC
i'm also doing the Simple Gift
and quite personally I would have rathered my school choose a different set text as this seems far too overly-simplified which i think makes it much more harder to break down to the nitty gritty bullshit we talk about in this stupid subject

Dramaqueen06

HSC
I got a stack of notes - if ya still want them

here are some notes on Caitlin and Old Bill - when i find billy i can send them

good luck

Caitlin experiences a lot of change after meeting billy. She is a rich seventeen year old school girl. Working at McDonald’s is her least favourite thing. She realises how materialistic she can be and even quite judgemental. Below are some examples of her transition to growing up
Her first reaction to billy is one of judgement “Put that back” pg.34
Caitlin she is surprised he’s to ashamed of stealing scraps. She is forced to re-think her view.
Caitlin is also surprised by how different Billy is from other boys. pg.42 “So well-mannered,/so unlike every boy/ at Bendarat Grammar,/or any schoolboy I’ve ever known.” It is a new experience for her.
On page 87 Caitlin asks Billy on a picnic, this is a very big step for her, never asking a boy out anywhere
She admits to being spoilt “I am spoilt/ spoilt to boredom.” (pg.88). this is a realisation of her material goods.
Caitlin can be herself with Billy; she has someone to live up to, no expectations like those from her parents. Pg.106 “I don’t feel … simply feeling.”
“And I stay in the shadows/ watching/” (pg. 115) Here the shadows symbolise ignorance and fear, Caitlin’s fear.
Caitlin can’t trust her friends but can trust billy (pg. 131)
Made decision to tell parents about Billy (pg.190). This shows that she is ready to grow up and take responsibility.

Old Bill
The main transitions which occur in Old Bill’s life is when his daughter and wife die, meeting Billy and Caitlin; and giving the house to Billy.
In the text Old Bill goes through transitions, where we learn of his past and how he has dealt with it and how Billy helps him deal with it.
“I almost cried . . . stuff away” (p.58) the gift of the cigarettes triggers his memory of his daughter, Jesse.
Old Bill is changed by Billy’s kindness, of him (Billy) bringing weetbix and tea to him everyday.
Pg 95 – 96 is a reflection of his daughter and what he is, a drunk. Accepting it. Wanting to change.
“I almost felt young again” (p.111) “I like the kid”. This is a transition because it is one of the first positive comments has made
Having dinner at Caitlin's he has returned to society.
Old Bill leaving his house was an exit from society: no roles, no responsibility, no relationships. He wanted to lose his identity and was afraid to move on. He returns to society by having dinner at Caitlin's and he moves on when he accepts Billy’s kindness and returns it by helping him get a job. In the end by giving Billy his house he has moved on from his past and now can go on with his life.

:)
I'm currently studying the simple gift and i find it very useful, thankyou.
I was wondering if anyone possibly has any more notes that i could have a look at?
I'm currently doing the unit belonging and this is my main text.
I mainly need notes on the characters sense of belonging in this novel.
If anyone can help me i'd appreciate it heaps.
Thanks
xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)