The Simple Gift (1 Viewer)

ohhshiiit

HSC
I'm currently studying the simple gift and i find it very useful, thankyou.
I was wondering if anyone possibly has any more notes that i could have a look at?
I'm currently doing the unit belonging and this is my main text.
I mainly need notes on the characters sense of belonging in this novel.
If anyone can help me i'd appreciate it heaps.
Thanks
xx
I got a stack of notes - if ya still want them

here are some notes on Caitlin and Old Bill - when i find billy i can send them

good luck

Caitlin experiences a lot of change after meeting billy. She is a rich seventeen year old school girl. Working at McDonald’s is her least favourite thing. She realises how materialistic she can be and even quite judgemental. Below are some examples of her transition to growing up
Her first reaction to billy is one of judgement “Put that back” pg.34
Caitlin she is surprised he’s to ashamed of stealing scraps. She is forced to re-think her view.
Caitlin is also surprised by how different Billy is from other boys. pg.42 “So well-mannered,/so unlike every boy/ at Bendarat Grammar,/or any schoolboy I’ve ever known.” It is a new experience for her.
On page 87 Caitlin asks Billy on a picnic, this is a very big step for her, never asking a boy out anywhere
She admits to being spoilt “I am spoilt/ spoilt to boredom.” (pg.88). this is a realisation of her material goods.
Caitlin can be herself with Billy; she has someone to live up to, no expectations like those from her parents. Pg.106 “I don’t feel … simply feeling.”
“And I stay in the shadows/ watching/” (pg. 115) Here the shadows symbolise ignorance and fear, Caitlin’s fear.
Caitlin can’t trust her friends but can trust billy (pg. 131)
Made decision to tell parents about Billy (pg.190). This shows that she is ready to grow up and take responsibility.

Old Bill
The main transitions which occur in Old Bill’s life is when his daughter and wife die, meeting Billy and Caitlin; and giving the house to Billy.
In the text Old Bill goes through transitions, where we learn of his past and how he has dealt with it and how Billy helps him deal with it.
“I almost cried . . . stuff away” (p.58) the gift of the cigarettes triggers his memory of his daughter, Jesse.
Old Bill is changed by Billy’s kindness, of him (Billy) bringing weetbix and tea to him everyday.
Pg 95 – 96 is a reflection of his daughter and what he is, a drunk. Accepting it. Wanting to change.
“I almost felt young again” (p.111) “I like the kid”. This is a transition because it is one of the first positive comments has made
Having dinner at Caitlin's he has returned to society.
Old Bill leaving his house was an exit from society: no roles, no responsibility, no relationships. He wanted to lose his identity and was afraid to move on. He returns to society by having dinner at Caitlin's and he moves on when he accepts Billy’s kindness and returns it by helping him get a job. In the end by giving Billy his house he has moved on from his past and now can go on with his life.

:)

hay these are really good except they are more for the old syllabus CHANGE and we are doing the new syllabus BELONGING so would anyone have any help in analysing The Simple Gift in the belonging context???

HSC
i'm also doing the Simple Gift
and quite personally I would have rathered my school choose a different set text as this seems far too overly-simplified which i think makes it much more harder to break down to the nitty gritty bullshit we talk about in this stupid subject
no way it has heaps of stuff to talk about!

Aaron_Atkins91

HSC
Hey guys, im doing my HSC through intensive so I'm probably covering this a bit faster then you...

As yet ive no actual notes on the book but i have read the book 3 times, and had many disscusions about its relevance to belonging.

so if theres anything you want to discuss in particular about this novel email me at:

aaron.atkins@hiptop.com.au

warcat19

HSC
im doing right now and i have a speech on monday and it really is the easiest book to read and analyse so simple, with a little bit of effort can give you a great mark

shibbyvad

HSC
Hey guys;

I did the simple gift for y12 this year, i enjoyed it too.
I have some essays, if you want to see them, although they are not based on the AOS concept, but the techniques are obviously the same

Great book!

i was just wondering if i could get those essays or just the techniques u had from those essays?
im doing it for year 12 and i gotat write my half yearly on it

ghkddnjstkd

HSC
i was just wondering if i could get those essays or just the techniques u had from those essays?
im doing it for year 12 and i gotat write my half yearly on it
if possible is it alright for me to get a copy of that as well?

moruk16

HSC
can anyone hlpl me
as most yr 12s
am doin the simple gift
but cant find chapter summaries
and techniques that represent belonging in the chapters
thanks

gearz

HSC
hey guys does can someone send me some stuff on simple girft like techniques themes, well notes pretty much
would be greatly appreciated :) plz guys

gearz

HSC
hey could you send some of your simple gift stuff my way?? if your not busy....?

gearz

HSC
Hey guys;

I did the simple gift for y12 this year, i enjoyed it too.
I have some essays, if you want to see them, although they are not based on the AOS concept, but the techniques are obviously the same

Great book!
hey m8 reckon u could send me some of those essays??? im sort of struggling with everything right now....would be greatly appreciated

sloveni

HSC
N/A
hey m8 reckon u could send me some of those essays??? im sort of struggling with everything right now....would be greatly appreciated
Hey u got any notes to forward on the simple gift?
If u do it will be much appriciated

thanx in advance

turksta101

HSC
Hey u got any notes to forward on the simple gift?
If u do it will be much appriciated

thanx in advance
hey if it's possible, and if u actually did get a copy, could u please forward a copy of those notes to me?

thanks heaps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)