The Simple Gift (1 Viewer)

hypntize

is or has any1 studied the simple gift?
any1 have notes or an analysis of the book?
thank you

menagerie

I got a stack of notes - if ya still want them

here are some notes on Caitlin and Old Bill - when i find billy i can send them

good luck

Caitlin experiences a lot of change after meeting billy. She is a rich seventeen year old school girl. Working at McDonald’s is her least favourite thing. She realises how materialistic she can be and even quite judgemental. Below are some examples of her transition to growing up
Her first reaction to billy is one of judgement “Put that back” pg.34
Caitlin she is surprised he’s to ashamed of stealing scraps. She is forced to re-think her view.
Caitlin is also surprised by how different Billy is from other boys. pg.42 “So well-mannered,/so unlike every boy/ at Bendarat Grammar,/or any schoolboy I’ve ever known.” It is a new experience for her.
On page 87 Caitlin asks Billy on a picnic, this is a very big step for her, never asking a boy out anywhere
She admits to being spoilt “I am spoilt/ spoilt to boredom.” (pg.88). this is a realisation of her material goods.
Caitlin can be herself with Billy; she has someone to live up to, no expectations like those from her parents. Pg.106 “I don’t feel … simply feeling.”
“And I stay in the shadows/ watching/” (pg. 115) Here the shadows symbolise ignorance and fear, Caitlin’s fear.
Caitlin can’t trust her friends but can trust billy (pg. 131)
Made decision to tell parents about Billy (pg.190). This shows that she is ready to grow up and take responsibility.

Old Bill
The main transitions which occur in Old Bill’s life is when his daughter and wife die, meeting Billy and Caitlin; and giving the house to Billy.
In the text Old Bill goes through transitions, where we learn of his past and how he has dealt with it and how Billy helps him deal with it.
“I almost cried . . . stuff away” (p.58) the gift of the cigarettes triggers his memory of his daughter, Jesse.
Old Bill is changed by Billy’s kindness, of him (Billy) bringing weetbix and tea to him everyday.
Pg 95 – 96 is a reflection of his daughter and what he is, a drunk. Accepting it. Wanting to change.
“I almost felt young again” (p.111) “I like the kid”. This is a transition because it is one of the first positive comments has made
Having dinner at Caitlin's he has returned to society.
Old Bill leaving his house was an exit from society: no roles, no responsibility, no relationships. He wanted to lose his identity and was afraid to move on. He returns to society by having dinner at Caitlin's and he moves on when he accepts Billy’s kindness and returns it by helping him get a job. In the end by giving Billy his house he has moved on from his past and now can go on with his life.

:)

freaked

HSC
Hey,
does anyone have some more notes like these.

MeRvE91

HSC
hey

i really need notes on simple gift aswell if ani1 has anything it would be appreciated...

thanks

torrey

HSC
guys has anyone got the information on the simple gift or a related text "into the wild" thanks soooo much

Lujooboo

HSC
menagerie said:
Caitlin she is surprised he’s to ashamed of stealing scraps.
I'm confused..was Billy ashamed of stealing scraps or wasn't he?

HSC
We're doing "the simple gift" as our AOS text.
its a book written out of poems but it is honestly the most easiest thing you will ever read. & i really enjoyed the book :)
we started with Module B so we havent done it yet though.
is anyone else doing this? what do you think?

namphoungtang91

HSC
ya im doin it as well. we're quiet far into it. my teacher he's ripping it apart each chapter, right now we're at 6 so farr :S. i like heaps its a really interesting text.

puppyie

HSC
would you guys be able to attach the analysis of your text ... we are studying it but my teacher has been on long service leave so we haven't even touched on it! ... H E L P ! ! !

namphoungtang91

HSC
umm if you ask in like 2 months maybe coz all my notes are not typed up their all on paper srys

Davomann

HSC
I'm doing it aswell and if anyone has any notes at all it would be really appreciated
my teacher goes through page by page and tells us all these techniques but doesnt say anything about how they relate to belonging - really annoying !

ayehann

Procrastinator
HSC
Davomann said:
I'm doing it aswell and if anyone has any notes at all it would be really appreciated
my teacher goes through page by page and tells us all these techniques but doesnt say anything about how they relate to belonging - really annoying !

agreed same here.. im like thats grea sir.... but how does this relate to belonging >!!>!>!>!

oh wait david ur in my class << LOLL

namphoungtang91

HSC
hmmm
i have atleast two pages of notes per a chapter but i dont knoe how long its gonna take to type up lol

ayehann

Procrastinator
HSC
alright whats steven herricks perspective on belonging????!?!?! im so lost atm its not funny

-shAwty-oO1-

HSC
heyy..
im doing the simple gift atm..
but were just analysing the text in class soo far.. chapter by chapter lol..But we only did about a phara on each chapter.

And in 3weeks time we have to do a speech which includes : 1 of our own text, the set text and techniques used throught out both of them.:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)