• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Thread for ALL FIRST YEAR QUESTIONS. (1 Viewer)

LordPc

HSC
whats up with WAM?

im doing comp sci:
discrete maths
maths 1A
higher computing
engg1000 (elective)

does my WAM ignore my elective subject since it is not technically a requirement of my program? or will it count anyway? what about gen eds?

Linear

HSC
Yeah, I had a question about the WAM too... Heh, I feel so newbie with all these questions I have >_o

So anyway my question is...

What is the WAM important for? Just academic standing? I looked at the handbook and it seems that all I should be concerned about is getting an average of 70% in my psych courses, and passing the courses in my arts degree for a major.

If that's so, would it matter if I dropped a subject that I really disliked right now? It would count as a fail on my transcript but it wouldn't have any effect on my psyc average... Plus if I had to maintain an average like that, wouldn't it pull my WAM up anyway?

deadfishlol

HSC
N/A
whats up with WAM?

im doing comp sci:
discrete maths
maths 1A
higher computing
engg1000 (elective)

does my WAM ignore my elective subject since it is not technically a requirement of my program? or will it count anyway? what about gen eds?
Core subjects, electives, gen eds all count towards your WAM.

runnable

HSC
Does first year subjects count towards final mark given for Degree? I got told by many people that first year results do not count, not believing that atm.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
From what I've heard, and I can't back this up, it does count, but not as much as your later courses.

runnable

HSC
lol wth? What do you mean they count but not as much as later courses? Final WAM should be just marks and their credit pts worth? So how can it matter less if they matter at all.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
well so far I have a 'final' WAM after my first year on my transcript. So I believe they do count.

LordPc

HSC
lol, yep, need sunny to answer some questions.

do 1st year courses have a lower weighting or something compared to 2nd+ courses?

"relevant results over the student’s entire program"

what are "relavent results" exactly?

Iruka

HSC
N/A
OK, I'm a graduate too, so maybe I should comment. There is no WAM on your transcript or testamur. The transcript simply lists the subjects that you did and what marks and grades you got for them.

WAM is something that the uni calculates for its own internal purposes, and different bits of the uni do it differently. The WAM that appears on your results notice every semester is simply an average of all the courses that you have done thus far weighted according to their UOC. There is no discinction made between courses from different levels.

Some schools and faculties also re-calculate their own WAMs (usually to decide who can get into honours) and they may well do it differently - by weighting higher year subjects more, or ignoring subjects that are offered by other schools.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
OH, I should probably add that I have no idea how a fail will affect your WAM, but I am sure that it can do it no good.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
OH, I should probably add that I have no idea how a fail will affect your WAM, but I am sure that it can do it no good.
I know this one. An ex UNSW student told me they only took his first attempt score into account (ie he got 40 something but passed the course later. They only took his first attempt into his WAM)

sunny

meh.
HSC
My bad :p Hard to get on bos at work sometimes! Everything thats been said is right. All courses that you do as part of your degree, electives or not will count towards your WAM.

Your WAM is weighted by the units of credits its worth, and not by level. So a 3uoc gen ed is only worth half was much as a 6uoc mainstream subject when calculating the WAM.

So deadfishlol is right - try not to flunk discrete runnable! You might have got the wrong idea from comp sci honours, where your level of honours ("honours WAM") is determined only by your thesis results (what Iruka is talking about). BEng uses the CSE WAM (CSE Weighted Average Marks)

Attached is the degree template I posted up ages ago, and is probably lost somewhere on bos now.

runnable

HSC
Thx sunny, well I do Commerce so I don't do discrete. :p I think you mistook me for someone else. So my final WAM includes all Year 1 courses too... Need to tell my deluded friends. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)